SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
How much does a dealer normally charge to do the headlight upgrade entirely?

I've been dealing with a bunch of morons all day here at Dulles Motorcars. They want $945 for the headlights and $410 to install it, total of $1355. Few weeks ago I was given a different number of $1200. Parts department and Service department hadn't even heard of the Mopar upgrade kit, so at this point I don't even trust them to do the install because of all of the "known issues" that they might know about. I know I can do it myself for a lot cheaper, but thinking about selling the car in a year or so. I'm concerned it won't work for long if I do it myself and take the Tazer out later.
I paid $769 for the kit pt# 82215136ad including the wiring harness and included shipping from myoemmoparparts.com dealer charged $250 for install. The lights are amazing.
Sponsored

Alasek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I didnā€™t have to wire anything for the sidemarkers I to the BCM like I did the headlights. My Jeep had the drl already, so the harness was the same. They work fine after the dealer flashed all of the LED lights.
Whatā€™s up bro
Iā€™m ready to go and buy the OEM drl LEDs but I just would like to know how to make them work!
Are you getting any hyper flash or lights on the dash?

Jhoussock

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator rubicon

lfisgood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
I paid $769 for the kit pt# 82215136ad including the wiring harness and included shipping from myoemmoparparts.com dealer charged $250 for install. The lights are amazing.
So I ended up buying the factory upgrade kit from BAM for $699 and took to another dealer that installed for $330. Total $1030 and it was well worth it. The difference in lights at night is amazing. There was a major issue with the install though. Dealer didn't run the halo wire through the fender per the instructions, but took apart everything under the hood instead. Half of my car was sitting in pieces on the floor, lol. When putting it back together, they created a short somewhere. That threw some error codes on the dash and they couldn't figure it out for 6 days. Simple install turned into a week-long ordeal. Long story short, they had to replace the battery and some fuse.

I can't recall how it was before or if it that came with the kit, but I think they also replaced the headlight switch on the left side of the steering. There is now a halo setting (round circle) and I don't remember if that was there before.

The halos are working, but there is nothing in the Uconnect settings under Lights. Is that normal? Also what is the expected behavior of the halos being on/off? I usually have the switch set to "Auto", but then both the headlights and halos turn on when you start the car (only tested last night in the dark). If I switch the dial to halo position, halos are on by themselves, but the head lights didn't come on in the dark.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
1. The switch is what came in your Jeep. The O is the setting for your fender day time running/parking lights. Nothing to do with headlights themselves. Selecting the O you should have both the fender (turn signals/running lights parking lights what ever you wanna call them) on

2. Your HALOS should come on as soon as you start your Jeep. Mine are always on. I donā€™t have an 8.4 Uconnect so I wouldnā€™t know about any settings through the radio. I have heard people use a TazerJL to do something with the HALOS

3. Have you upgraded the turn signal bulbs to LEDs? I did and I used Oracle 7443-CK bulbs. They are so much better then the Amber halogen bulbs that come stock. Only $75 bucks. Plug and play. Not like some others where you have to install resistors!

Sponsored

lfisgood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
1. The switch is what came in your Jeep. The O is the setting for your fender day time running/parking lights. Nothing to do with headlights themselves. Selecting the O you should have both the fender (turn signals/running lights parking lights what ever you wanna call them) on

2. Your HALOS should come on as soon as you start your Jeep. Mine are always on. I donā€™t have an 8.4 Uconnect so I wouldnā€™t know about any settings through the radio. I have heard people use a TazerJL to do something with the HALOS

3. Have you upgraded the turn signal bulbs to LEDs? I did and I used Oracle 7443-CK bulbs. They are so much better then the Amber halogen bulbs that come stock. Only $75 bucks. Plug and play. Not like some others where you have to install resistors!

What do you have your switch set on? Auto?

I have not changed the turn signals yet, but was thinking to get the Diode Dynamics switchbacks 7443 HP24. They do require resistors or change the LED code. The Oracle looks awesome, but I read somewhere that there are issues with them because the resistor is actually built in to the bulb itself and heat is the biggest enemy for LEDs. I'm not an expert so not sure how true that is.

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I bought an led upgrade kit that comes with the wire. Iā€™m gonna read this thread through one more time but I feel like itā€™s above my head...can I cut the wire thatā€™s supposed to go through the firewall and just attach it to the fuse box? I do have a tazer as Iā€™m also doing the rest of the lights but they all seem plug and play and then tazer to led which is easier. If I can do the fuse box thing. What would I need to attach it and anyone have an idea where to do it?
I'm honestly surprised more people aren't just wiring the halos directly to the fuse box or to an aux switch. I already have after market fog lights with halos which I wired to an aux switch and am considering just adding the headlight halos to the same switch. I have a flash cal which I already used for LED turn signal settings to avoid flicker so I'm not worried about that with the headlights either.

Wiring them up the "correct" way to the BCM and having a dealer flash it is more money, and means the halos are on every time there's power to Jeep. Sometimes I want the Jeep on but all lights off (obviously for steak outs and stalking people).

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm honestly surprised more people aren't just wiring the halos directly to the fuse box or to an aux switch. I already have after market fog lights with halos which I wired to an aux switch and am considering just adding the headlight halos to the same switch. I have a flash cal which I already used for LED turn signal settings to avoid flicker so I'm not worried about that with the headlights either.

Wiring them up the "correct" way to the BCM and having a dealer flash it is more money, and means the halos are on every time there's power to Jeep. Sometimes I want the Jeep on but all lights off (obviously for steak outs and stalking people).
Speaking of auxiliary switches - have you checked out Simple Aux made by badge glow?

I just got mine in the mail and plan to install this weekend. Looks like it makes connections to the aux switches simple if you connecting accessories under the hood.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I have not changed the turn signals yet, but was thinking to get the Diode Dynamics switchbacks 7443 HP24. They do require resistors or change the LED code. The Oracle looks awesome, but I read somewhere that there are issues with them because the resistor is actually built in to the bulb itself and heat is the biggest enemy for LEDs. I'm not an expert so not sure how true that is.

mostly auto yes. Iā€™ll have to monitor the Oracle LED bulbs Iā€™d have for those thing to cause me problems but they work good for now. Really wish I could get the factory Rubicon LEDs but the wonā€™t fit in the Sport Fender.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

@lfisgood my bad - the O on the headlight switch is off. The next setting is for parking lamps, then manual on then auto. Sorry!

Sponsored

lfisgood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
@lfisgood my bad - the O on the headlight switch is off. The next setting is for parking lamps, then manual on then auto. Sorry!
Thanks for all the info. I just tested in daylight and the halos are on when the car is running. My switch is on Auto.

Jhoussock

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator rubicon

Yeah it all worked out great for me...installed the headlights in about 30 minutes. The drl leds on the fender was a little tougher but still turned out perfect. TaZer was needed as well.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
That is the failure mode. I had the exact same problem. The Tazer JL fixes it. This is a software setting problem.
Glad to hear the TazerJL fixes it. I got one for Christmas just havenā€™t had the time to install it.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
Whatā€™s up bro
Iā€™m ready to go and buy the OEM drl LEDs but I just would like to know how to make them work!
Are you getting any hyper flash or lights on the dash?
I have the stock lights all around. I upgrade to the high top fender flares with LEDs. I still get the hyper flash or nothing at all. Next time I drive they work then stop. I got the TazerJL. I just have to install. I am thinking that since the tail lights are stock and not led there is a difference in resistance which is causing the failure. Next up is the headlights; but may go ahead and do the tail lights to test my theory. Just saving up for them.

offroad.ua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Gentleman, after reading all these posts, still confused on what i'm missing to convert to OEM LED lighting. Please confirm.

1. So I purchased used OEM LED Headlight take offs. Those are only lights with no any additional harness.
2. Purchased Merimoto LED DRLs
3. Purchased smoked turn signals for fenders
4. As I understand I still need to purchase wire/connector in order for Halos to work, part# 68347117AB (pic included), please confirm.
5. Lastly after everything is installed to work property I need to go to the dealer to get it flashed, please confirm.

A'm I missing something? Should this be enough for a conversion? Also, what if I don't have LED tail lights yet, would front be functioning properly? Cause I read other threats that without tail lights front turn signals were malfunctioning.

led lights harness 1.jpg
Sponsored