Sponsored

MOPAR LED FACTORY UPGRADE KIT

fightingmajor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited Punk'n Orange
Just a quick question, haven’t updated the Jeep yet so it knows I have LED headlights yet. First off, these lights are a huge improvement. Even a huge difference coming from the Beamtech led bulbs. I tried out the high beams and pretty much the road in front of the Jeep goes dark. I did level out the lights before I got on the road correctly. Is this due to the Jeep not being programmed yet?
Sponsored

thewise1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Turbo 2door Stingray Sport and 6cyl 4door White Sahara
amen to that :)
Installed this kit today. Honestly the hardest part was trying to plug the wires in on the inside of the Jeep. My arms must be too long to move around haha. If it wasn’t for that, I would have had the whole thing done in about 1 1/2 hrs.

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
are you guys legit just stabbing a new hole in that giant grommet or is it just really tight around the main harness?

i can feel it by hand under there but without taking the seat out there is zero chance of me somehow getting up in there to actually see it.

if we're just poking a hole i can just do it from the outside and grab it... though things look a little different on the turbos.

IMG_3646.jpg

IMG_3651.jpg

trying not to make any additional holes in this thing LOL

Last edited:

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
How are you getting the white plastic out of the headlight connector? Is that something you just take out with pliers? Just making sure I don't screw that connector up.

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
How are you getting the white plastic out of the headlight connector? Is that something you just take out with pliers? Just making sure I don't screw that connector up.
It comes out from the front. Put pressure on the sticks from the back, eventually you'll get them to push into the connector and push on the white face. You can then use a small pick through the side to inch the white part up. Go a little on each side. Eventually the whole thing will pop off. Mines all buttoned up except the passenger fender while I wait for someone to reply to my question about the grommet. Otherwise I'd go take a pic.

Sponsored

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
It comes out from the front. Put pressure on the sticks from the back, eventually you'll get them to push into the connector and push on the white face. You can then use a small pick through the side to inch the white part up. Go a little on each side. Eventually the whole thing will pop off. Mines all buttoned up except the passenger fender while I wait for someone to reply to my question about the grommet. Otherwise I'd go take a pic.
Thanks! I tried pulling and snapped a small bit off, so paused to get a reply while I routed wiring. :) Thanks!!! I'll tackle the grommet in a bit myself.

**UPDATE - and thank you! That made it a 5 minute job. That is one goofy connector. On to the grommet - from the sounds of it, you stick coat hanger through there with the wire attached and the instructions say to use RTV, but I agree - I hate making holes I don't need to.

Last edited:

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Thanks! I tried pulling and snapped a small bit off, so paused to get a reply while I routed wiring. :) Thanks!!! I'll tackle the grommet in a bit myself.

**UPDATE - and thank you! That made it a 5 minute job. That is one goofy connector. On to the grommet - from the sounds of it, you stick coat hanger through there with the wire attached and the instructions say to use RTV, but I agree - I hate making holes I don't need to.
Glad it made sense. Depinning connectors is always the biggest puzzle. Let me know how the coat hanger works. I have one on the counter but feels like 108 outside so I'm just gonna finish it up tomorrow.

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
One other question on this - the door wire connector - looks like that is in with a trim connector and then there is a nut holding the passenger footwell trim piece in covering the BCM - is that right? Wish they would put photos and not just figures in these instructions.

fightingmajor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited Punk'n Orange
One other question on this - the door wire connector - looks like that is in with a trim connector and then there is a nut holding the passenger footwell trim piece in covering the BCM - is that right? Wish they would put photos and not just figures in these instructions.
yes there is. They missed it in the instructions.

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
are you guys legit just stabbing a new hole in that giant grommet or is it just really tight around the main harness?

i can feel it by hand under there but without taking the seat out there is zero chance of me somehow getting up in there to actually see it.

if we're just poking a hole i can just do it from the outside and grab it... though things look a little different on the turbos.

IMG_3646.jpg

IMG_3651.jpg

trying not to make any additional holes in this thing LOL
I went ahead and poked the hole through the grommet - seems like it will seal fine with the RTV - wish there was another way to get it done.

Sponsored

thewise1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Turbo 2door Stingray Sport and 6cyl 4door White Sahara
(warning, venting rant ahead) ... the trick was to run a coat hanger through the grommet from the OUT side... and then, long basketball arms where barely able to unplug the connector, before fingers realized that re-seating was very much NOT possible ... fortunately the neighborhood garage wasn't busy and towed it in, and did in MINUTES what took me hours ... Clearly grommet designed NOT for servicing, and (don't get me started on) picture instructions clearly showing puncturing grommet from inside - not likely, at least with 4cyl loaded turbo, initially not having a coat hanger and instead using a sharp implement (of destruction) upon concluding this instruction could turn out VERY badly (with all the wires encased there) declaring that would be a most excellent, even genius, spot to design in a dedicated access grommet / hole (for people like me that shouldn't be playing with sharp tools in the first place) - not to mention the aforementioned instructions would have appreciated calling for whatever gauge wire a COAT hanger might be, or even let's just call it by the technical tool name - "Coat Hanger", instead of a picture pushing sharp implements thru the main wire-way, i digress ... still need to get the code loaded and the lights aligned, but need to get away from paranoia thinking how bad it could've turned out to be, shudder the thought, in the end, fortunately and most importantly, all's well that ends well :) (although have promised to never go anywhere near that grommet and bcm ever again) :)
1117hourslater.jpeg

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
yes there is. They missed it in the instructions.
THANK YOU!

One other question for anyone who knows - I am trying to get the harness off where the door connector goes and trying not to break it - is it possible to remove that without cutting it off? It isn't a pressure connector like I thought it was. Is it easy to replace if it has to be cut? I am trying to avoid any loose parts to make noise.

Almost got this done!

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
THANK YOU!

One other question for anyone who knows - I am trying to get the harness off where the door connector goes and trying not to break it - is it possible to remove that without cutting it off? It isn't a pressure connector like I thought it was. Is it easy to replace if it has to be cut? I am trying to avoid any loose parts to make noise.

Almost got this done!
Picture? The instructions I had said move the sill and kick panel plate with a spudger tool. This is wrong, there is one weird but holding it on almost behind the door connector. If you pull the red tab on the top of the door connector up then slide a flat bladed screwdriver and twist you will pop it loose.

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Picture? The instructions I had said move the sill and kick panel plate with a spudger tool. This is wrong, there is one weird but holding it on almost behind the door connector. If you pull the red tab on the top of the door connector up then slide a flat bladed screwdriver and twist you will pop it loose.
Man - I owe you some beers for your tips! Yep - that connector was attached completely differently than I expected - put the panel tool up there and the thing popped right off. Finally should be able to get that panel out of the way and the wiring finished.

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Well the coat hanger took more time to sharpen than it took to push the wire like I figured.

Now I'm contemplating taking the seat out so I can lay on my back and get up in there.

IMG_20190811_110642.jpg

IMG_20190811_110709.jpg
Sponsored