Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
@KDB

Here are the parts used to build the bar:
Purchased online at Speedway Motors.
Bolts are grade 8, 1/2-20 x 2 3/4 inch with nuts. I'm going to replace these with 3 inch long ones.

Hope this helps.

Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 14.34.46.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 14.34.27.png
Thanks!
Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I received my tie rod after towing without for 2 seasons with no bending or damage. Tried to install it and it is too long. Same Blue Ox towbar and adapters as yours. But my tie rod is black. Yours is silver. I'm not happy.
Did you un-screw the treaded ends of the Tie Rod? you need to adjust the ends to fit then tighten the jam nut. Mine fits jyst fine...

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG-0345

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG-0346

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Did you un-screw the treaded ends of the Tie Rod? you need to adjust the ends to fit then tighten the jam nut. Mine fits jyst fine...

Yes, the threaded ends are screwed into the rod as far as they will go.
I may have to shave a little off the bar.
I'll contact Maximus-3.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Yes, the threaded ends are screwed into the rod as far as they will go.
I may have to shave a little off the bar.
I'll contact Maximus-3.
I think they are trying to make the bar universal. My bar has a good 3/4 to an inch of thread sticking out on both sides with my Roadmaster set up...

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I think they are trying to make the bar universal. My bar has a good 3/4 to an inch of thread sticking out on both sides with my Roadmaster set up...

I do not see how tow bar even plays a role as the width of the Tire Rod should be the same as the loops. Since all clevis bolts are at the end of every bar it should be the same on all. Unless say you mount the Loops on the inside of the frame.

Sponsored

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
My loops are in the normal spot on the outside of frame. I think my problem is the Blue Ox adapters are offset a little where it attaches to the towbar making the tierod too long.

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
With LH/RH treads on the bar and the rod ends on my setup makes it easy to adjust. Once it's adjusted I lock it down with the nuts. Set it and forget it.

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
My loops are in the normal spot on the outside of frame. I think my problem is the Blue Ox adapters are offset a little where it attaches to the towbar making the tierod too long.

Yes, at least mine they are offset inwards

IMG_0474.jpeg

ekim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
My understanding is that shackles should be hand tight. In the case where they are installed for a long time you typically would zip time the "bolt" to prevent it from turning out.

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
TJDave, I built the "Silver" triangulation bar, cost me under $70 for the parts/shipping thru Speedway Motors. The rod itself is 30" long, adding the LH/RH treaded rod ends. and adjusting center to center measurement to approximately 33.25 inches.
Can you get the rod in custom lengths? I would like to mount the tow loops on the inside of the rails.

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I do not see how tow bar even plays a role as the width of the Tire Rod should be the same as the loops. Since all clevis bolts are at the end of every bar it should be the same on all. Unless say you mount the Loops on the inside of the frame.
The vehicle side is the same. However, the bolts on the rv side do not match straight on with the center of the tow loops. Roadmaster attachment points are offset a bit outward and the Blue Ox are offset inward.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The vehicle side is the same. However, the bolts on the rv side do not match straight on with the center of the tow loops. Roadmaster attachment points are offset a bit outward and the Blue Ox are offset inward.
While that has already been discussed I Agree you are in part correct, my NSA is equal distance, i also have blue ox tow bar with a custom clevis (for roadmaster) that is equal (the clevis has no offset) but after looking at stock Blue ox Clevises yes they are offset. by the way If anyone is intersted in the PNW my Blue Ox tow bar is for sale (it came with our Motorhome and I already had the NSA Bar). Bottom line is there are differences. Interesting I had this very conversation with Joseph at Maximus and he said that all the bars would accept the tie rod, that is clearly incorect.

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Can you get the rod in custom lengths? I would like to mount the tow loops on the inside of the rails.
Absolutely. I just got my clevis opening widened today to accept the new 3/4" loops. I doubt I will try to modify the stock Maximus tie rod to fit the inside mount I went with for the loops. Hopefully this time next week I'll have something made & I'll sure share. Looking at the ready made parts available from Speedway (thanks sstuner!) you can make one to fit any configuration.

clevis's.jpg

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Absolutely. I just got my clevis opening widened today to accept the new 3/4" loops. I doubt I will try to modify the stock Maximus tie rod to fit the inside mount I went with for the loops. Hopefully this time next week I'll have something made & I'll sure share. Looking at the ready made parts available from Speedway (thanks sstuner!) you can make one to fit any configuration.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops clevis's
Let us know what you figure out for the shorter Tie Rod

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
Let us know what you figure out for the shorter Tie Rod
The Speedway Motors Aluminum 1/2 x 1" tubing comes in 30, 29, & 19.5 inch lengths. Different size tubes have more variety in length. They have steel chrome moly etc. Other options include 1/2 x 7/8", 5/8 x 1"
etc. Looking around you can find a "custom" length. A lot cheaper than the Maximus rod if theirs does not have the correct length for you. Esp if going to inside mounts.
Sponsored