Sponsored

M1102 overland trailer

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Wow had no idea they were so damn tall! Are there military ones that are smaller ? I’ve wanted to build one but this thing seems massive. Maybe it’s just because of the top?

can’t see myself spending $30k on a camping trailer like you see on trail recon etc — though it is nice
Sponsored

OP
OP
FinnCustomKnives

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
Wow had no idea they were so damn tall! Are there military ones that are smaller ? I’ve wanted to build one but this thing seems massive. Maybe it’s just because of the top?

can’t see myself spending $30k on a camping trailer like you see on trail recon etc — though it is nice
Yeah the m1101 and m1102 are quite large. You can get an m416 which is much smaller and better suited for tighter trails. However those will all be old and either a massive project or you will end up paying the previous owner for all the work it took make it nice.
We are actually looking, not hard though, for an m416 for that exact purpose. However for our yearly Ouray trip, this m1102 is spot on perfect.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Yeah the m1101 and m1102 are quite large. You can get an m416 which is much smaller and better suited for tighter trails. However those will all be old and either a massive project or you will end up paying the previous owner for all the work it took make it nice.
We are actually looking, not hard though, for an m416 for that exact purpose. However for our yearly Ouray trip, this m1102 is spot on perfect.
Thanks. Will check those out as well

FLTrailRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
Now that we have 100% decided we are keeping it, I am just swapping the axle out. For only about 550 bucks, it will make it ride infinitely better, will have brand new brakes, bearings, 5x5 bolt pattern, rubber torsion springs, the whole shebang.
That's a good idea. For the Jeep I think the m416 is best. I usually use my LC200 for the m1101.

Best to keep the hand brakes.

OP
OP
FinnCustomKnives

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a good idea. For the Jeep I think the m416 is best. I usually use my LC200 for the m1101.

Best to keep the hand brakes.
Yeah we are probably going to end up with a 416 for actual trail riding and camping but this 1102 is fantastic for an extended basecamp setup. Crazy though, the 416's go for quite a bit if in any sort of decent shape

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm always on the lookout for a small military trailer for my JLURD. I think the M1101/02 are too large. An M101 out of Canada look just about right.

GetImage.png

OP
OP
FinnCustomKnives

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm always on the lookout for a small military trailer for my JLURD. I think the M1101/02 are too large. An M101 out of Canada look just about right.

Jeep Wrangler JL M1102 overland trailer GetImage
They all have pros and cons! Keep that in mind because the 101 weighs more, uses leaf springs, no doubt will be in rougher shape due to age, I don't believe they have any brakes other than parking, etc.

They are more manageable in terms of outer dimensions, but once I have gotten used to this 1102, it really doesn't bother me. Honestly sometimes I forget the trailer is there when towing it.

Reactions: GtX

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2014 JK — Previous: 2004 TJ, 1994 YJ
What did you end up using to solve the hitch height problem? I see a lot of drop hitch Lynette receivers that can be reversed to provide a rise, looks the the simplest solution but not sure.

OP
OP
FinnCustomKnives

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What did you end up using to solve the hitch height problem? I see a lot of drop hitch Lynette receivers that can be reversed to provide a rise, looks the the simplest solution but not sure.
Currently thats what I am doing, big ol riser. Have to take the spare off and its not really an ideal setup. With a lift and 37's it wouldn't be that bad honestly though. However once I swap the axle, and convert to electric, I will be fabing a new setup using either a max coupler or cruisemaster do 35. Drop it at the trailer and lift the jeep, it should put it perfectly in line.

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
I removed the pintle and surge brake from my trailer. Never liked to noise of the pintle setup, and the hydraulic sprung a leak. Replaced the brakes with electric brakes (bolt on). Replaced the lunette with a normal 2" ball coupler. That took a bit of drilling of the coupler to match up with the holes in the trailer.

JxZtDYMe9tVZRB7mjSn-zI_Q=w1794-h1009-no?authuser=0.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
FinnCustomKnives

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I removed the pintle and surge brake from my trailer. Never liked to noise of the pintle setup, and the hydraulic sprung a leak. Replaced the brakes with electric brakes (bolt on). Replaced the lunette with a normal 2" ball coupler. That took a bit of drilling of the coupler to match up with the holes in the trailer.

JxZtDYMe9tVZRB7mjSn-zI_Q=w1794-h1009-no?authuser=0.jpg
I'm not a fan of a ball coupler for my usecase, but for many that is a viable option. 👍

The max coupler is a really easy install, much better articulation than the ball and/or pintle and is still quiet as can be. However the cruisemaster do35 is a superior setup in every way, except for purchase price and ease of installation.

FLTrailRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr

Jeep Wrangler JL M1102 overland trailer JxZtDYMe9tVZRB7mjSn-zI_Q=w1794-h1009-no?authuser=0

Did you run all new wires for the lights? It looks like that cable is running down the opposite side from where the OEM light connections are.

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
Yes, I replaced the main wire to the first set of connections. The trailer came with an adapter from the military plug to a 7 pin, but it started giving me troubles.

OP
OP
FinnCustomKnives

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you run all new wires for the lights? It looks like that cable is running down the opposite side from where the OEM light connections are.
I too ran new wiring, converted the 12 pin to standard 7 pin. However I am kind of anal about how stuff is done and I bought a 4 point 8 indent crimper, solid pin deustch size 12 worked well, and the proper military packard connections for the 3 wires I needed to tie into for lights, ground is just a ring terminal and self tapper to frame. That way I didn't have to cut any wires on the trailer and my factory 12 pin can be re-installed in a few minutes. My tailer brake wire is capped and "dead" so to say until we electric convert, reverse wire goes to a hy-power diode then to trigger a relay for a set of harbor freight 3" flood lights mounted to rear of trailer, 12v+ goes to the relay that powers said harbor freight lights, and I added a manual switch that goes into the other input end of the hy-power diode to manually trigger the relay for the reverse lights for camp setup lighting(diode stops backfeed into jeep).

I did however install a 7 pin metripack 280 connector in between the 7 pin trailer harness and the trailer itself. That way if my plug ever gets damaged from coming disconnected and dragging, or whatever, I can quickly replace it by crimping a few metri-pack terminals and wire seals on. Then it just is a simple plug to connect up to the trailer, all perfectly water proof.

20210528_162733.jpg

Screenshot_20210720-010727_Chrome.jpg