M.O.R.E. Dead Pedal install tip

digirati

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I ended up ordering and installing the Seven Sparta dead pedal on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LF9G6BY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_texCCbYBYH1K7) because it was so much cheaper and available on Amazon (free 2-day shipping!). M.O.R.E. isn’t available there and other retailers charge for shipping. The quality of it seems good and looks similar. (I actually like the cutout design better.) I do fear its a knock-off though but for $40 less and free shipping, and there quality is pretty good...it can’t be beat.

As for the installation, yeah...it sucked! I ended up losing a nut somewhere behind a panel but thank God I had a spare laying around my garage. The hardest part of getting two arms in the footwell, one to hold the nut in place and the second to ratchet it down. (I had to put to extenders on to be able to ratchet the back nut down behind the break pedal.)

My only question for Jeep is...why didn’t you simply include this to begin with?
How are you liking the Seven Sparta dead pedal? Does it feel super strong and secure? Does it move around at all?
Sponsored

RedWranger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
How are you liking the Seven Sparta dead pedal? Does it feel super strong and secure? Does it move around at all?
It's perfect! No movement. Very strong. I selected the middle position for it (there are three) and it works for me. I may look to move it to the front-most position (closer to the driver's seat) but it is a pain in the @ss to install because of the limited space you have to work in, as is also the case with the M.O.R.E. version. Good luck!

JLJS74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4DR JL
Was worried to order and install the M.O.R.E. Dead Pedal, but after reading all the advice I figured I would try it. On a handy scale from 1-10, I think of myself as a 6. I used the advice to stuff a thick rag behind the Backing Plate to keep it in place and that was huge. Total install took me ~15 min, which was mostly spent tightening the bolts as everything is awkward (body position, brake pedal in the way, etc.). Another key was using a socket wrench with two extension bars. I’m 5’10” and I tried both the middle and the front positions, ultimately settling on the front position. Both seemed like they would be fine (the middle position felt a hair too far away and the front position feels a hair too close - but ya gotta pick one and the front felt better). I do like how the last line of the instructions says, “tighten the nuts and Go Jeepin!” Hilarious. Not sure if that’s supposed to be literal or figurative

***EDIT*** After driving with the Dead Pedal in the front (closest) setting for about 1-2 months, it was just bothering me. Felt too close and I couldn’t extend my leg. Bit the bullet, undid it and set it to the middle setting and been riding that way for the last month. I definitely prefer the middle setting for my height (its there to rest your foot if you want, but you have to extend your leg to touch it, whereas before my foot was always pushed up against it).

Last edited:

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
That bottom trim piece is keeping me from aligning the dead pedal on the two bolts. I spent about 45 mins attempting to get it lined up properly with no success before I realized that trim was causing me a problem. The bottom of the mount seems to want to be just at the trim so it makes it much harder to line up with the trim in place and the bolts sticking through the holes.
The trim was a real problem for my install. I don't know if it is a difference between the 2018s and 2019s. I am going to install another pedal in my dad's 2018 and we'll see if there is any difference.

I had to tuck the bottom of the mount holding the pedal inside the trim. The holes would not line up any other way.

Sponsored

notallan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 VW Rabbit; 2019 Moab
Took me a solid hour. Used the fishing line and electrical tape techniques. Did not use the rag, but a clamp to keep the backing plate close enough to thread the nuts. This was the most difficult part.

I’m not very handy. It was a tough install. The written instructions ought to include the tips in this thread.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Thanks to this thread the install was better than I thought it was going to be. I used a combination of techniques. Fishing line, tape and a paper towels (didn't have a cloth towel handy). All of those things made getting the rear plate in with confidence. That went in with no issue- 5 minutes maybe. The next part came the dry fit as I wasn't sure if I would like the rear or middle setting and since the middle setting was giving everyone grief....figured I would start with the rear. I was able to place the bracket into the screws and finger tighten the front nut just enough so I could sit in the seat test it out. Sure enough the middle setting was going to be for me. After taking the bracket out and refitting the pedal another 15 minutes ticked bye. I tried my best to get that nut and washer on with the bracket in place but i could not twist my body up to see or feel it well enough. So of course I dropped a nut between the kick panel and the body panel. Luckily it hit the bottom and was easily pulled out with a magnet after prying up the footwell plastic just a tad. That took 10 minutes of bitching and 5 minutes of fishing it out. So, not wanting that to happen again, I came up with a simple method to prevent this problem.

I took the washer and placed it over the hole and covered it with masking tape. I would have supper glued it but didn't have any. Then punched the tape out creating a whole in the tape that the bolt could get through but keeping the washer in place. I then found a shallow 7/16 socket and inserted the nut and covered that with masking tape. Again cutting out a small hole so the treads could bind but making sure there was enough tape to hold the nut.

With a small extension I was able to kneel from outside the jeep reach in and and easily thread the rear nut. The trick was to use notches at the back of the pedal as a guide for the location of the bolt. Seems that M.O.R.E had figured that part out. That part only took 5 minutes.

The tightening of the bolts took the longest. Not a lot of room for by gorilla hands to fit and not so much room for a 1/4" socket wrench to rotate.

I was surprised though how easy it was with the tape over the washer and over the nut in the socket. All in all with all my failings it was still under an hour.

Have had it in for a few days now....love it when I remember to use it.

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
I use the longest set up on mine. I am just over 6 feet tall and it works well for me. A little tape and patience it went on in about 15 minutes.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I just removed mine and reinstalled it in my JT Gladiator. Popping the backing plate into the holes in a piece of cake. 3 second job. Mounting the pedal is also a cakewalk on the farthest postion. However, I decided to try the middle position and it was in fact a pain in the *** like the guy who posted above me mentioned. I too tried to fix the nut into the socket by using the paper towel trick where you lay paper towel over the socket and then press the nut down into it. It holds the nut in place while you thread it that way. However, I still couldn't get enough mobility to find the rear threads and get the nut started by feel. So I gave up and reverted back to the farthest position.

If a guy had the time, he could remove the driver seat and then lay up inside the Jeep at a different angle and then it would be easy to thread that rear bolt...but this works for me.

Sponsored

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
... and after all this time, and all the complaints/hacks/tips, M.O.R,E still hasn't redesigned the damn thing to make install any easier? Surprised they aren't listening, and even participating in this thread as many vendors do. (Top Lift Pro, Alien Sunshade come to mind)

FasEddy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks to everyone for the tips. I installed the M.O.R.E dead pedal today. I used just about every tip/trick in this thread (fishing wire on the backing plate, rag stuffed behind the plate, masking tape to hold the washers in place, etc.). It took me a bit over an hour. I first tried the middle slot and then adjusted to the closest slot. Re-adjusting added time. I also had the wire loom interfere with the front of the pedal assembly and had to move it (I used a small panel removal tool to pop the wire tie clip).

Outside of the typical issues, my backing plate also did not fit totally flush. The factory metal mounting point seemed to have some type of contour that did not allow for the backing plate to sit flush. I could rock the plate back and forth a bit which made it difficult to get the mounting nuts started. Like a seesaw, if I got the font bolt through the pedal mount enough to start the nut, the rear bolt was too shallow to get the nut started (and vice versa). I had to slightly start the front nut to give enough wiggle room to get the rear bolt pushing through far enough to start the nut I also used a shallow socket with a smaller nut dropped in first and the actual nut on top with masking tape holding it all together (with a hole cut in the center). This allowed me to use the ratchet to push on the rear bolt while trying to thread the rear nut.

Overall, first impressions of the product are good and the install seems worth the effort.

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I just read a few posts.
Here's my tip, have your skinny flexible kid squeeze into a position and screw it in. If you don't have one skinny flexible kids...borrow one.
I spent 30 minutes cursing and screaming before my son squeezed into the foot-well and did the install in 5 minutes.

WestlakeHorn

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2014 Porsche 911 Carrera S
I used fishing line while installing the bracket and then stuffed a rag behind the bracket to provide some resistance for when I installed the dead pedal assembly. The toughest part is getting the dead pedal assembly over the 1/4 bolts when your dead pedal is not in the farthest position and you can't see the back bolt. Total project probably took 20-25 minutes thanks to all the great tips above. If I had done this without those tips, I know I would have dropped the bracket behind the "wall".

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L
3cae2k.jpg
Sponsored