M.O.R.E. Dead Pedal install tip

JBall

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi/Billet Silver
Yep...was a total bitch. To top it off for me, I first installed it in the farthest position with little issue. It seemed way to far back so I then reinstalled it in the closest position....much harder, and then too close. F*#^! On my third attempt, I tightened too much and broke the bolt in two and bent the plate. Had to order a replacement, the install for the 4th time. Now it's perfect and was worth it, but damn! (And yes, I did try it each time for fitment before finishing the install, but it's hard to tell until it's secured in place.) My advice for anyone ...just think it all out before you attempt, and prepare yourself-this is a pain in the ass. Also, try to get the position right the first time...I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam and the middle spot is perfect for me. Good luck.

Steve-touchup paint should work. Also, not sure where the paint chip is but would the Mopar door sill guards cover the damaged area?

Mopar_82215394_Black_Door_Sill_Guards_Front_Install.jpg
Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I installed mine last night. The sun was setting and it was getting dark, but I figured heck I'll see how far I can get. Ended up being a 5-10 minute install start to finish, with 2 minutes of that being me searching for two extra lock washers since they didn't include those.

The only difficult part was slipping the plate with the pre-assembled studs into the holes on the JL bracket under the dash. That took a minute or two of trying to get my fingers in just the right spot. Otherwise, the rest of it was a piece of cake. I used a 7/16 socket with a long extension on my 1/4" ratchet and ran the two nuts down quickly. The one large bolt that holds the pedal was a 5/16 allen socket plus a 11mm wrench. Quick and easy.

Definitely one of the coolest mods I've done yet!! And hopefully it'll support my lower back a little more. The JL sure does have an odd seating position and flat floor pan.
You must have the body of a 12 year old LOL!!!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You must have the body of a 12 year old LOL!!!
I wish. I'm actually 6'3", slightly over weight, with a bad back.

The install is a piece of cake IF, and only if, you set the pedal to the farthest position. Setting it to the middle or closest position is a totally different ball game because then you can't get to the nut behind the pedal to get it started on the threads, much less tighten it down.

Courtjester69

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk Sahara jl Rubicon
You may want to try painter's tape. So nothing falls behind the kicker panel. I zip tied the bracket with the studs. So it doesn't fall back out. When done cut zip tie & remove tape. Thanks to you guys for the heads up. Love the Mod.

StevieBuns

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Rubicon Unlimited
You may want to try painter's tape. So nothing falls behind the kicker panel. I zip tied the bracket with the studs. So it doesn't fall back out. When done cut zip tie & remove tape. Thanks to you guys for the heads up. Love the Mod.
I used electrical tape to hold the bracket with the studs in place. I’m short so I used the closest position of the pedal. It was definitely a struggle. I’ve found myself using it more and more that it’s there. I’m glad I installed it.

Steve

Sponsored

bem1

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lantanapcguy.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Wanted to share my experience. I actually found it more difficult to screw in the mounting plate to the dead pedal itself. The flat top bolt does not have a proper screw hole...meaning, it's not an allen wrench, torx, Phillips, or flat head. It's almost round, which makes it difficult to tighten the nut.

Once I got it tight enough, the rest was pretty easy, considering I had the right tools. I also used a spool of twine to hold the backing plate in place. I used the middle position, which was perfect for my height of 6FT.

All in all, it took about 30 minutes. Here is a picture of the finished install. Good luck!

DEADPEDAL.jpg

imthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe Bright White
Occupation
Film Editor
Vehicle Showcase
This was rather difficult. That said, now that it's in there, it's in there forever.

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
So I failed on my first attempt a couple months back. I had the pedal in the mid position and could not figure out how to get it done with one hand holding the bracket in place and keeping the bolts from moving as I threaded the nuts. My other arm just won't fit. I've been thinking about it a lot, I thought about stuffing a rag or something in back of the bracket to keep it from moving. I think I will epoxy the back bracket in place so that it does not move on me and will give it another go when I have mustered up the courage to try again. That first time it really kicked my ass and I was not expecting it to be so difficult. I am not one to give up, but Damn! I think my back is still hurting from all the twisting.

Degha

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLU Sahara
So I failed on my first attempt a couple months back. I had the pedal in the mid position and could not figure out how to get it done with one hand holding the bracket in place and keeping the bolts from moving as I threaded the nuts. My other arm just won't fit. I've been thinking about it a lot, I thought about stuffing a rag or something in back of the bracket to keep it from moving. I think I will epoxy the back bracket in place so that it does not move on me and will give it another go when I have mustered up the courage to try again. That first time it really kicked my ass and I was not expecting it to be so difficult. I am not one to give up, but Damn! I think my back is still hurting from all the twisting.
I used some black electrical tape to hold the bracket in place. I tried zip ties and just couldn't get them situated right. Once I was ready to finish tightening everything up I just pulled the tape out. I did enlist my wife's help who is only 5'4" and was able to get both arms in there. Once she hand threaded the pedal to the bracket I used a swivel extension to tighten everything down. Probably took 30 minutes and the middle position was perfect for me at 6'2".

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I used some black electrical tape to hold the bracket in place. I tried zip ties and just couldn't get them situated right. Once I was ready to finish tightening everything up I just pulled the tape out. I did enlist my wife's help who is only 5'4" and was able to get both arms in there. Once she hand threaded the pedal to the bracket I used a swivel extension to tighten everything down. Probably took 30 minutes and the middle position was perfect for me at 6'2".

If you do not mind what is jeans length? if this is a that much of a pain. I would rather set it right, I assume with a 33 or 34 I need the middle or end setting.

Sponsored

crushinit

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and WK2
I set mine for the closest length and am now bummed I did (I'm 6'1). I wrongly assumed I would have much more of a knee bend that I would like, but it's not comfortable. Not sure I want to mess with pulling it out and redoing it that's for sure.

Degha

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLU Sahara
If you do not mind what is jeans length? if this is a that much of a pain. I would rather set it right, I assume with a 33 or 34 I need the middle or end setting.
34" for me at 6'2" and I'd say it's pretty much the same angle as my right leg on the gas pedal.

imthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe Bright White
Occupation
Film Editor
Vehicle Showcase
I set mine for the closest length and am now bummed I did (I'm 6'1). I wrongly assumed I would have much more of a knee bend that I would like, but it's not comfortable. Not sure I want to mess with pulling it out and redoing it that's for sure.
You can't live like that! You really ought to bite the bullet and correct it. I set mine to the middle position. 6'2".

Prevok

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Punk'N 2.0T 2018
Occupation
IT Tech Lead in the video game industry
Vehicle Showcase
Like Degha, I initially tried tape to keep the bracket in place, but every time I pushed the pedal in place, it moved slightly and I was not able to align the 2 holes properly, back or front was ok, but never both. That was in middle position. Initially, I installed it "fairly" easily at the back position but it was too far. After an hour fighting with the god damn bracket, I took my drill and increase the size of the back hole on the pedal. I was getting pissed and installed it AS IS, but if I had to do it again, I would paint the hole to prevent rust. It did install pretty easily afterwards, short of the screwing the nuts, which took forever.

The JK dead pedal was a lot easier to install.

Last edited:

Snowshoes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ZJ 5.2 / 2018 JL 3.6
I installed the dead pedal yesterday and the tape idea mentioned above worked well for me. I used 2" masking tape.
Problem was when I wanted to change the pedal to the closest from middle position. It was impossible to align the holes. I struggled over an hour and found the backing bracket was bent slightly. After straightening the bracket, it wasn't too bad.
Sponsored