First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Put in the Dead pedal. "Pro" tip. When you slip the two bolt bracket behind the plate - MAKE SURE YOU DON'T DROP IT. (it falls behind the trim panels into the wheel well and then you swear a lot and have have to find a trim removal pry and take apart stuff.) Also helps to have not eaten steak and potatoes for the last 30 years.
Sponsored

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
Omg lol

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
Any pics of it installed?

jaydub

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes C63AMG, Wrangler JL
I completely agree with the OP. I installed mine Friday, and it was more difficult than I expected. Dropping a nut while squeezing your hand behind everything while mounting is completely possible... and would suck.

ALSO: Think hard about which fore/aft position you want the pedal to be mounted in. You can mount it to be close/middle/far, to accommodate different leg lengths. If you choose poorly, you have to remove the whole apparatus to change it. I chose the middle position because I wanted the pedal to closely match my throttle pedal position. It seems to be right on, and I'm glad I installed it.

Once you get the two mounting nuts tightened, the dead pedal is remarkably sturdy. Like the OP stated, take steps to not drop the mounting nuts though. I had to dig deep into the toolbox to find a driver head that would fit around the apparatus in order to fully tighten. Instead of using a socket, I had to use a nut setter bit, like this:

https://images.homedepot-static.com...husky-tool-accessories-h4dndb12pc-64_1000.jpg

drummerchick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, Sting-Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Holy crap, this install was horrific! After about an hour of standing on my head in the foot well and swearing profusely, it's finally on.

20180501_222443.jpg

Sponsored

Cyclone88

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2012 JK Sport, 2013 Mini Countryman
Vehicle Showcase
That install was terrible. It's as if the test install was only done in the longest position which leaves both bolts in front of the pedal. In the mid or close position, at least one bolt is behind the pedal and royal PITA to reach and tighten.

OP
OP
Jeepmarkjl

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
To put the install into perspective. I put the MORE dead pedal into my 1st JL - a Sahara. Outside of my own issue of dropping the bracket, the contortions needed were enough to: 1. Not take it out of the Sahara when I traded it in. Told the dealer keep it. 2. Not buy another to put in the Rubicon. I'll just put my left foot flat on the ground instead.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If you're going to order one of these, get it directly from M.O.R.E. I ordered mine from Quadratec and after waiting a month, I was told it'll be another 8 weeks. So I cancelled my order and called M.O.R.E. myself and they had them in stock ready to ship. UGH. :(

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
My M.O.R.E. bracket did not fit in the Jeep bracket holes so I had to file the holes out some. Thankfully the Jeep bracket is made out of aluminum so the filing went relatively easy. I have installed/removed 3 times to adjust the pedal. First time I put the pedal in the middle, then removed and put in the closest hole, then finally removed and placed spacers on the fastener closest to me to correct the angle of the dead pedal.

I can see a big person having trouble but I am 5'9" / 165# so it was not really an issue.

Awesome mod despite the installation trouble! I would do it again in a heartbeat!

JBall

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi/Billet Silver
Great thread-thanks for everyone's input. I'm going to pick up a 1/4" magnetic nut setter tomorrow. Also, was thinking that attaching a strip of duct tape to the mounting plate while installing-do you all think that would work?

I'm looking forward to installing this...I ordered it on the day it was released. Just need my 2-door to put it in.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
I installed mine last night. The sun was setting and it was getting dark, but I figured heck I'll see how far I can get. Ended up being a 5-10 minute install start to finish, with 2 minutes of that being me searching for two extra lock washers since they didn't include those.

The only difficult part was slipping the plate with the pre-assembled studs into the holes on the JL bracket under the dash. That took a minute or two of trying to get my fingers in just the right spot. Otherwise, the rest of it was a piece of cake. I used a 7/16 socket with a long extension on my 1/4" ratchet and ran the two nuts down quickly. The one large bolt that holds the pedal was a 5/16 allen socket plus a 11mm wrench. Quick and easy.

Definitely one of the coolest mods I've done yet!! And hopefully it'll support my lower back a little more. The JL sure does have an odd seating position and flat floor pan.

JBall

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed mine last night. The sun was setting and it was getting dark, but I figured heck I'll see how far I can get. Ended up being a 5-10 minute install start to finish, with 2 minutes of that being me searching for two extra lock washers since they didn't include those.

The only difficult part was slipping the plate with the pre-assembled studs into the holes on the JL bracket under the dash. That took a minute or two of trying to get my fingers in just the right spot. Otherwise, the rest of it was a piece of cake. I used a 7/16 socket with a long extension on my 1/4" ratchet and ran the two nuts down quickly. The one large bolt that holds the pedal was a 5/16 allen socket plus a 11mm wrench. Quick and easy.

Definitely one of the coolest mods I've done yet!! And hopefully it'll support my lower back a little more. The JL sure does have an odd seating position and flat floor pan.
Thanks for the update and inspiration! I had one in my JK and took it out about a month before turning it in and gave it to a friend. I can't believe how much I missed it.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Just to add though....IF you want to use the middle or first spot to mount the pedal, THEN it would be a nightmare because you can't see the rear nut and washers to get them started and tightened down. So, if you're using those positions then I agree this install would be a pain.

JBall

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to add though....IF you want to use the middle or first spot to mount the pedal, THEN it would be a nightmare because you can't see the rear nut and washers to get them started and tightened down. So, if you're using those positions then I agree this install would be a pain.
Thanks for the advice-last spot it is!

StevieBuns

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Rubicon Unlimited
Sweet. Baby. Jesus.

I read this thread and knew I would be in for some frustration but this was horrendous.

Everything started well, I had all my parts in order.
upload_2018-7-27_21-51-9.png

Things quickly spun out of control.....for your own safety ladies, avert your eyes, otherwise you may not be able to control yourselves.
upload_2018-7-27_21-52-0.png

If it isn't clear from the pictures, my pack is killing me now after that install. As someone posted above, if you're looking to utilize the front (closest) or middle position for the pedal, it positions the rear bolt behind the pedal which is damn near impossible to get.

I don't feel confident that the pedal is installed securely, I lost one of the washers in the foot well and I was so fed up after it went in that I didn't even take a picture of it installed, or really adequately test it out. I don't even think it's all that comfortable from initial tests....we'll see.

Worst of all, I dropped an allen key and chipped the paint in the door sill. Anyone think that I can just use some Punk'n touchup paint for this? A real bummer.
upload_2018-7-27_21-55-34.png

Steve
Sponsored