Sponsored

M.O.R.E. Dead Pedal install tip

ryanv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport 2-door
Just installed the dead pedal last night. First obstacle was that none of my Allen wrenches fit the head of the bolt which attaches the pedal to the plate (annoying!). I ended up jamming a flat head screw driver tip into the head which was sufficient.

Based on all the horror stories I read about the install, I did the following preparation which seemed to prevent disaster and minimize frustration:

1) Tied a long length of fishing line to the hole in the middle of the bolt assembly piece. That way if I dropped it behind the frame hopefully I could pull it back out.
2) Once I inserted the bolt assembly piece into the two holes in the frame, I installed a zip tie around it and the frame. This prevented it from moving back too much (and therefore falling out of the frame) when I pushed the pedal bracket onto the bolts.
3) Finally, I used a small clamp to squeeze the bolt assembly piece and the pedal bracket together. This ensured that plenty of bolt was exposed when I began to thread the washer and nut.

All in all this worked pretty well for me and the whole process was done under an hour. It would have been faster if I hadn't decided to change the position after the first install. That said, I do have a bruise on my side from being jammed against the driver seat frame and a crick in my neck.

Ideally MORE would offer a simpler piece of equipment. Maybe three different sizes/positions rather than an adjustable model which requires threading a nut in the blind?
Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
Has MORE read any of this? Why did they design something so PITA? Iā€™m holding out for a better engineered part should another vendor make one. For such a simple device, this one sounds it could have used a little more thought.

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Has MORE read any of this? Why did they design something so PITA? Iā€™m holding out for a better engineered part should another vendor make one. For such a simple device, this one sounds it could have used a little more thought.
I put one of the dead petals on my Rubicon a few weeks ago. Did not have any problem with the screws and nuts and so forth not fitting but it was a little difficult trying to reach up under the dash. I put it in the middle position and it worked good! Very good quality. The main problem I had was trying to get my socket out from under the dead pedal after tightening.

Sponsored

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
Does anybody have photos of this installed in a JL or JLU with manual transmission, or does this only fit in automatic transmission jeeps?

Oh, and before anyone says, "manual transmission doesn't need one," I referenced this from Wikipedia on dead pedals.

In manual transmission cars the dead pedal is designed to promote a smoother actuation of the clutch by keeping the drivers foot in the same plane as the pedal.

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Looks like Iā€™ll be skipping on this one. Iā€™ll end up breaking some of my tools in frustration. And end up costing a whole lot more than the price of this product.

Prevok

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Punk'N 2.0T 2018
Occupation
IT Tech Lead in the video game industry
Vehicle Showcase
Does anybody have photos of this installed in a JL or JLU with manual transmission, or does this only fit in automatic transmission jeeps?

Oh, and before anyone says, "manual transmission doesn't need one," I referenced this from Wikipedia on dead pedals.
The MORE dead pedal would not fit on a manual trasmission. It would be over the clutch. On an auto tranny it pretty much fills the space available between the frame and the breaks.

Gave a quick read on the wikipedia article and I believe what it's refering to is a half (or a quarter) dead pedal on the floor leveling up with the clutch for increased confort. I don't remember seeing such product on a Wrangler.

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
The MORE dead pedal would not fit on a manual trasmission. It would be over the clutch. On an auto tranny it pretty much fills the space available between the frame and the breaks.

Gave a quick read on the wikipedia article and I believe what it's refering to is a half (or a quarter) dead pedal on the floor leveling up with the clutch for increased confort. I don't remember seeing such product on a Wrangler.
Yeah, after posting this I went and really LOOKED at the space. It's super tight. Thanks for responding though.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
...I've been thinking about it a lot, I thought about stuffing a rag or something in back of the bracket to keep it from moving.
this is the trick people, after much trial and error, i finally stuffed a rag between the two bolt bracket and the outside sidewall. this kept the bracket in place so i could carefully start the nuts on the bolts.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
this is the trick people, after much trial and error, i finally stuffed a wrag between the two bolt bracket and the outside sidewall. this kept the bracket in place so i could carefully start the nuts on the bolts.
That is exactly what I wound up doing too! Wished I had tried that first. After threading the bolts I just pulled the rag out.

onejeepguy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
If you're going to order one of these, get it directly from M.O.R.E. I ordered mine from Quadratec and after waiting a month, I was told it'll be another 8 weeks. So I cancelled my order and called M.O.R.E. myself and they had them in stock ready to ship. UGH. :(
I ordered from Quadratec because of the free shipping. M.O.R.E. wanted $12 to ship it.

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
THIS

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
this is the trick people, after much trial and error, i finally stuffed a rag between the two bolt bracket and the outside sidewall. this kept the bracket in place so i could carefully start the nuts on the bolts.
^^^^
I was able to hold the bracket in place using a small spring clamp. Once I had the pedal on and the nuts started I just pulled the clamp off.
Sponsored