First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Retired Scientist/Metallurgy
I tried everything. Took mine back over 4 times, called around to other dealers, no luck. The dealer did replace the power steering unit for me under warranty. But I still had about 10 degrees of free play. Finally discovered a Jeep technician in Greensboro, NC who found one of the bolts was one turn loose, when no one else did. That helped some. But didn't fix it. The JL still had about 5 degrees of free play in the steering wheel. Then I discovered a new-to-the-market replacement power steering system by Performance Steering Concepts. Totally replaces the electric unit, takes the JL back to a reliable hydraulic, belt-driven system.

My ride now steers like a dream, has plently of power to handle much bigger tires, and is very smoot and way nicer to drive.

The dealership is Alfa Romeo of Greensboro, NC. Their technician, Chuck IS a Jeep guy - their sister dealership sells Jeeps, he modifies them to suit. I am one happy Jeep owner now! Wish I'd done it right away.
Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Too bad they don’t have a guy in my area !
Wonder how having this done will impact warrant on other components that are steering related

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
How much did it cost? I see that unit selling for over $3,000.

tom1000

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
I tried everything. Took mine back over 4 times, called around to other dealers, no luck. The dealer did replace the power steering unit for me under warranty. But I still had about 10 degrees of free play. Finally discovered a Jeep technician in Greensboro, NC who found one of the bolts was one turn loose, when no one else did. That helped some. But didn't fix it. The JL still had about 5 degrees of free play in the steering wheel. Then I discovered a new-to-the-market replacement power steering system by Performance Steering Concepts. Totally replaces the electric unit, takes the JL back to a reliable hydraulic, belt-driven system.

My ride now steers like a dream, has plently of power to handle much bigger tires, and is very smoot and way nicer to drive.

The dealership is Alfa Romeo of Greensboro, NC. Their technician, Chuck IS a Jeep guy - their sister dealership sells Jeeps, he modifies them to suit. I am one happy Jeep owner now! Wish I'd done it right away.
Make sense to me. Do you know what the steering ratio of the new unit is? The one in my 2 door is a 17.4: to 1 way to high and creates the majority of the play in the steering wheel. Thanks Tom

Sponsored

OP
OP

Encycloman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Too bad they don’t have a guy in my area !
Wonder how having this done will impact warrant on other components that are steering related
I took my JL in to the Jeep dealership for oil change. They didn't even notice I had changed the steering.

One extra added plus - the TAZR unit which I ordered along with the POS steering, allows you to "uncheck" the automatic engine shutoff every time you come to a stop sign!

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
I took my JL in to the Jeep dealership for oil change. They didn't even notice I had changed the steering.

One extra added plus - the TAZR unit which I ordered along with the POS steering, allows you to "uncheck" the automatic engine shutoff every time you come to a stop sign!
What did your new steering unit cost? How much did you pay in labor to get it installed?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Encycloman, between this thread and the other thread, "Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts"
you posted in, it's not clear what exactly was done to your jeep.

Your quotes from the other thread:
"I had the Alpha Dealer (seasoned Jeep technician from sister store in Raleigh) install the PSC from Quadratec. PK 1880 Pump Kit for JL 2028-2019."

"The kit completely replaced the factory box. Problem solved. Oh, the new box can be adjusted!"

But the PK 1880 kit does not include a replacement steering box. Can you help us understand if your steering box was replaced and if so, with what box?
Thanks in advance.

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
All,
I have posted on the other thread as well about steering feels loose and wanders. If you are having loose steering issues to to the website:

www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) and file a complaint.

You will need your VIN number and any other documents you would want to provide them as you can upload documents. If may take a little while but they will get backe to you. I feel Jeep has been skirting this issue for far to long with their BS. If enough people file compaints we may get some help in pressuring Jeep to fix what appears to be a pretty well documented issue.

Tommy1569

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL unlimited sport s
Occupation
Delphi
I hope new steering damper helps with play. I don't think I have more then 2° of play

Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I hope new steering damper helps with play. I don't think I have more then 2° of play
Steering damper really shouldn't affect play - just no way it can mechanically. Mine didn't. Still some have reported some improvement so good luck.

Tommy1569

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL unlimited sport s
Occupation
Delphi
I didn't mean to imply play was damper.
I really would like to upgrade the whole steering components.
I have 22k miles and I feel death wobble is a possibility.
Evo, Tera Flex probably I the top picks.
Thanks!

Tommy1569

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL unlimited sport s
Occupation
Delphi
I'm bad at not proof reading!

Bill G

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Unlimited Sport JL
I just installed the Fox 2.0 damper and noticed an immediate improvement. Guess the easy way to explain it is it deadens the steering wheel a bit, so you don’t make those little inputs/ steers in every time you hit a bump.
It wasn’t as noticeable when I had the stock 31s on, but when I went up to 35s it really got magnified.
2BDBDD0A-79F1-445E-8A03-38112EDC0C76.jpeg

Next month, a Teraflex 2.5.

OP
OP

Encycloman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Encycloman, between this thread and the other thread, "Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts"
you posted in, it's not clear what exactly was done to your jeep.

Your quotes from the other thread:
"I had the Alpha Dealer (seasoned Jeep technician from sister store in Raleigh) install the PSC from Quadratec. PK 1880 Pump Kit for JL 2028-2019."

"The kit completely replaced the factory box. Problem solved. Oh, the new box can be adjusted!"

But the PK 1880 kit does not include a replacement steering box. Can you help us understand if your steering box was replaced and if so, with what box?
Thanks in advance.
Sorry about incomplete. Yes, box is replaced. My conversion cost about $3400, but that's based on my estimated use. Quadratec or PSC might recommend something else
Sponsored