Sponsored

Define loose steering

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I see a lot of posts... this is my first jeep and I don't expect the steering to be that of a sports car. I don't believe I have a problem, but I'm curious what defines loose steering?
thanks.
Sponsored

VejOut

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I would hope most people do not expect the tight/responsive steering of a sports car, they won't get it. I have a 2018 Wrangler JL 4D, still all stock from the dealer. I would say it "wanders" a bit, and by that I feel that I have to constantly do micro-corrections in steering more than a car. It's a bit more than I expected when I compare it to my 1987 Wrangler 2D (also all stock) that I had back in the day, but even that needed more attention than your average car. If you are not used to it, it can be concerning. My wife always makes comments about it when she drives it, compared to her 2018 Jeep Renegade.

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
I would say mine steers quite well most of the time. But with 20 mph wind and some rough/graded corners on the road, I am holding on to the steering tight with both hands and making constant corrections:). I never expected it to ride/handle like a car, so no complaints here.

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I consider my Jeep to have loose steering, not as much as some have commented on, but loose.

By that, I mean that I can move the steering wheel 2"s from right to left without affecting the movement of the Jeep.

Yes it wanders, but that is part of the beast.

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
My case manager defined loose steering as having play in the steering wheel. Little to no response from the wheels when you turn the steering wheel. There’s about 3” of play.

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Loose steering when someone expects a Jeep Wrangler to handle like a pickup truck and then sit back and post and complain online about everything.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Loose steering when someone expects a Jeep Wrangler to handle like a pickup truck and then sit back and post and complain online about everything.
While you are entitled to your opinion, I will suggest that my reading of many of the threads on this topic on this forum indicate to me that this issue is being experienced by folks who have owned and driven Jeeps before. In my opinion, This is not a made up thing as your post seems to imply.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
A legit loose steering is when the steering wheel has play which makes the tires not respond.

Have someone sit inside and turn the wheel while you watch the steering box, pitman arm and every other joint and tires for movement.

If no movement from center either way you have a dead spot and needs to be addressed.
Bad steering box, there is a TSB that some have found works, loose ball joints and other joints.
For some god damn reason they put an electronic steering box and steering assist in the JL to make it have a better feel, but IMO it was a stupid idea to put those in a lifted solid axle vehicle.

Even nice and tight is still feels weird if your at 70 mph+, and I think that might be some of the problem, everyone is in a rush, driving like jeff Gordon everywhere, nobody does the speed limit, everyone is speeding and slamming on the brakes, or crashing into eachother

A jeep is not built to drive like that...OMG I paid 55k for a jeep Rubicon, it should drive like a sports car...god this thing sucks

I wish we would just enforce traffic law more harshly instead of all this nanny self driving, safety horseshit.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
To know if your JL truly has loose steering, you have to test driver another same model JL from the dealer lot. Then you are comparing apples to apples. Many who have complained in the forums have test driven and compared and have a valid claim of loose steering.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
You are a WISE person correct Jeep does not handle like a sports car.
Loose steering when a person takes their hands off the steering wheel.

Sponsored

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
I have a Sahara and a new gen Tacoma. There is a noticeable difference in how the two steer. The Tacoma steering is heavy and small inputs make the truck change directions. Wrangler steering wheel feels light and I can make those same small inputs to it where nothing changes in the direction of travel in the Jeep. I am ok with Jeep steering. It is just different, but not to the point where I would find it a deal breaker at this point.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Source: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-loose-and-or-wander.28197/page-3#post-764799

TSB # 02-003-19 Vehicle wanders and requires constant small steering corrections.
GROUP: 02 Front
Suspension
DATE: June 21, 2019

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the front track bar.

NOTE: If the vehicle symptom/condition is described with a sustained shake or shimmy in the steering wheel, as in the V41 recall, this bulletin should not be performed. Please refer to any open CSN’s, RRT’s, and other service documentation for that concern.

MODELS:
2018 - 2019
(JL) Jeep Wrangler
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: NorthAmerica, APAC and EMEA.

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after October 15, 2017 (MDH 1015XX) and on or before January 22, 2019 (MDH 0122XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe:
• Vehicle wanders and requires constant small steering corrections.

DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Inspection Procedure.

INSPECTION PROCEDURE

NOTE: A test drive is required to verify that the symptom/condition listed above is the customer concern. If a shake or shimmy is felt on the test drive this bulletin does not pertain.

1. Does the vehicle wander and require constant small steering corrections?
• YES>>> Proceed to Step 1 of the repair procedure.
• NO>>> This Bulletin does not apply. Normal diagnosis should be performed.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 (AR) 68394087AA Track Bar LHD
1 (AR) 68394094AA Track Bar RHD

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
My 2 Dr Sport wandered when new. Dealer modded jeep with new wheels and bigger tires, 2" spacer lift and added a few other things. It wandered when new and had play in steering.

iMO its 2 things. Steering wheel play, and wandering.

The 305/65 tires were inflated to over 40 psi. After experimenting with tire psi 32 seemed to about right.
Added a Falcon 2.2EF adjustable steering stabilizer. Improved/decreased wander a bit.
Now that I can live with the minimal wander, the steering wheel play is not an issue.

The 2 issues together is a problem.

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I see this differently. I do believe that there are buyers with Jeeps that have steering that is too loose. All the off-road/Jeeps I have owned tended to jostle the driver simply because they are tight body-on-frame vehicles. If steering were tight then every jostle of the driver would easily transfer to a steering wheel input, small or otherwise. On uneven road surfaces, freeways included, I find myself leaning slightly away from the seat just so that the jostle of the vehicle does not easily jostle me. The steering definitely has more play than other cars but I see that as inherent with its other off-road features. I think the best solution for those experiencing too much play was stated earlier, and that is to test drive other Jeeps so that there is a frame (pardon the pun) of reference. My opinion.
Sponsored