Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
An hour ago I had my '19 sensor in hand. That photo is NOT like mine and I see no way in hell how it could fit. It's totally different. FYI, potted the front yesterday and installed this morning. Test went perfect. I highly recommend potting if you are concerned about a possible failer.
Yeah, I think that's an ABS sensor.
Sponsored

Dale's Jeep

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 4door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army 23 years
I just pulled mine today. Both are bone dry i should have left them be, but went a head and potted them will see tomorrow if it works. Fingers crossed.

Mhonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
subscribed. Have a '22 on the way, and curious if this will be a problem for the 22's still or if FCA made any parts changes. It is plausible, that if a part # now exists for replacement, that MAYBE the part was redesigned for 2022.... who knows. Probably wishful thinking.

Also interestingly waiting for someone to try ordering one of those newly listed part #'s for the locker sensors and see what arrives... Would love to see if it is in fact a locker sensor and how they look compared to the old part.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
It's about time they offered the damn sensor. What a F'up and issue for many. I didn't want to have an issue so I put a Z harness in the glove box ASAP. It's become time for servicing the diifs., so today I pulled the rear sensor. No oil but potting it anyway. Re-assembly tomorrow. I wish I'd thought out the tube of potting solution a little better. The injector tube will be hard and plugged by the time I tear down the front. The mixing tube looks improbable to clean. FYI, If you are going to do the sensors one at a time, buy two tubes of the potting stuff. Also I was a little apprehensive drilling out the holes and going to deep. For piece of mind, I cut a 1" length of 3/4" wood dowel and drilled the center out so to use it as a depth limiter with the 3/32 drill bit sticking out 1/16", no worries.
dowel for depth.jpeg
a new tube of potting compound is cheaper but still only has one tip. I found these when I bought my compound.

20 Pieces Epoxy Adhesive Mixing Nozzle Tip Resin Mixer Adhesive Gun Applicatior for 50ml/1.7oz(1:1Ratio) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T72C2T...t_i_M9HY4NRWH0PQQAGDDWMC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sponsored

Covered in Dust

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Any updates on this? I went to my local dealer and the service writer said they’d never heard of this problem and their soonest appointment is 2 months away. I told him it’s a well known problem and if he’d spend 2 minutes looking into it he’d know that currently he needs to order an axle assembly for me. He said he can’t do that and a technician needs to look at my Jeep during my appointment in March. What a crock of BS. I guess I’ll just hope for the best driving up to the mountains to go skiing. If I get killed because of a malfunction I’d like all of you to testify and make my wife a rich widow.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any updates on this? I went to my local dealer and the service writer said they’d never heard of this problem and their soonest appointment is 2 months away. I told him it’s a well known problem and if he’d spend 2 minutes looking into it he’d know that currently he needs to order an axle assembly for me. He said he can’t do that and a technician needs to look at my Jeep during my appointment in March. What a crock of BS. I guess I’ll just hope for the best driving up to the mountains to go skiing. If I get killed because of a malfunction I’d like all of you to testify and make my wife a rich widow.
Is she hot?

Covered in Dust

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Well after 2 months with my locker lights on and flashing the lights are not on after I filled up yesterday. I have no idea where this leaves me. If I go to the dealer next month for my appointment they’ll say there is no issue. Do I pot the sensors now?

Sponsored

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
I potted both of mine a couple weeks ago. I was super worried about every aspect of it but it went really well.

JL only had 2,500 miles o it so sensors were bone dry. I did not want to wait for a problem.

Feel like In food for the life of the vehicle now.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah once the sensor fails it’s toast.
Yep. I'm thinking the design process involved the chance of oil getting in the sensor and they thought it would be no big deal...but they overlooked the metal filings from gear wear that make the oil conductive and short out the sensors.
Sponsored