Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44

FLDiver

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellayella JLS, 2021 Granite JLR
They come with the tips. I was worried about that when I ordered, but the kits came complete.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
So before I pull the covers next week and go to potting, has anybody who has done this lost a sensor anyway? This is a brand new vehicle with less than 1500 miles on it. I do not mind doing it, I have the compound on my bench and the amsoil severe gear coming next week. I am just looking for that push that tells me this is the right step instead of a possible failure and long wait for a fix.

Seems like the notion that even if a potted sensor failed they would never know it was potted anyway should be plenty of comfort. I definitely wouldn't want to be stuck paying for a new axle on a new under warranty vehicle.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So before I pull the covers next week and go to potting, has anybody who has done this lost a sensor anyway? This is a brand new vehicle with less than 1500 miles on it. I do not mind doing it, I have the compound on my bench and the amsoil severe gear coming next week. I am just looking for that push that tells me this is the right step instead of a possible failure and long wait for a fix.

Seems like the notion that even if a potted sensor failed they would never know it was potted anyway should be plenty of comfort. I definitely wouldn't want to be stuck paying for a new axle on a new under warranty vehicle.
This is the only way to keep the sensors from failing currently. You literally have nothing to lose.

Sponsored

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18ā€™ JLUR firecracker red
Wish I would have seen this thread previously. My 2nd rear axle (sensor) failed today, and Iā€™m a month out of warranty. It is actually going in and out right now. Is it still salvageable?

Last edited:

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Wish I would have seen this thread previously. My 2nd rear axle (sensor) failed today, and Iā€™m a month out of warranty. It is actually going in and out right now. Is it still salvageable?
I would think they are on the hook for it since yours has had two replacements before going out of warranty. It's a continuation of the same problem.

Sponsored

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
The mixing tip is included with the 25ml kit.
Thanks for letting me know! I sent Mouser an email but never heard anything back. I know when I ordered the sealant last time on amazon it came with the tip but some of these sites don't list what the kit contains. I will go ahead an order from mouser.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza

I am in the exact same position you're in. My jeep was brand new, about 3 months old with about 1500 miles on it. Do I take the risk and pull it apart and pot the sensor? Do I take the gamble and see if it fails before a part may possibly come on the market? Did Jeep/dana fix the sensors on newer JL's?

Everybody here says do it. But yet I'm cautious about doing it in case I break something or drill something too deep.

My big question, which may had been already answered somewhere.... OK, so the sensor gives the driver feedback on if the lockers are mechanically locked or not. The z-harness solution just gets rid of that feedback message. As a driver with the z-harness solution, how would you know if the lockers are locked or not? I would like to make sure they're unlocked before going 60 down the road. And likewise, I would like to make sure they're locked if I need them without having to stick my head out the window to see if both wheels are spinning.

Just trying to make the best decision on what to do.

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I am in the exact same position you're in. My jeep was brand new, about 3 months old with about 1500 miles on it. Do I take the risk and pull it apart and pot the sensor? Do I take the gamble and see if it fails before a part may possibly come on the market? Did Jeep/dana fix the sensors on newer JL's?

Everybody here says do it. But yet I'm cautious about doing it in case I break something or drill something too deep.

My big question, which may had been already answered somewhere.... OK, so the sensor gives the driver feedback on if the lockers are mechanically locked or not. The z-harness solution just gets rid of that feedback message. As a driver with the z-harness solution, how would you know if the lockers are locked or not? I would like to make sure they're unlocked before going 60 down the road. And likewise, I would like to make sure they're locked if I need them without having to stick my head out the window to see if both wheels are spinning.

Just trying to make the best decision on what to do.
I potted my sensors on my JL at 800 miles and saw no evidence that Jeep has ever addressed the issue with oil getting in the sensors. I just ordered a new tube of compound that I will do the same on my new Gladiator and currently have less than 400 miles on it. I will say after I potted my sensors the lockers took less time to engage/disengage. I have heard to many stories of people being outside of warranty or regeared and had to have their axles replaced due to a failed sensor. I was nervous about doing this at first but took my time and learned a lot about this process before I tackled it. Just go slow when drilling but itā€™s really not that bad of a job.

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18ā€™ JLUR firecracker red
I potted my sensors on my JL at 800 miles and saw no evidence that Jeep has ever addressed the issue with oil getting in the sensors. I just ordered a new tube of compound that I will do the same on my new Gladiator and currently have less than 400 miles on it. I will say after I potted my sensors the lockers took less time to engage/disengage. I have heard to many stories of people being outside of warranty or regeared and had to have their axles replaced due to a failed sensor. I was nervous about doing this at first but took my time and learned a lot about this process before I tackled it. Just go slow when drilling but itā€™s really not that bad of a job.
If I get a new, third rear axle from warranty coverage I will def be doing this
Sponsored