First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Sorry if I missed this in the thread, but is this mainly caused during the install of new gears or are people experiencing this issue on stock gears?
There's quite a few other threads to read specific to this issue. You should check all of them out.

To answer your question though, it's a factory issue. The sensors are filling with oil and then failing.

This thread was made to address the problem.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry if I missed this in the thread, but is this mainly caused during the install of new gears or are people experiencing this issue on stock gears?
The gearing does not matter (factory or not). It is the fact that the sensor is submerged in oil periodically and the seals on the sensor fail.

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Has anyone had any issues with the dealer not covering this under warranty after you've done the potting? I can see them trying to place the blame on the repair.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone had any issues with the dealer not covering this under warranty after you've done the potting? I can see them trying to place the blame on the repair.
Likely too soon to tell since @chevymitchell created this not too long ago.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I haven't heard anything. If this is done right, the dealer would never know. If the sensor is potted, then the likely hood of it failing afterwards is very low. Not sure what could fail that would even lead them to attempt to do anything with the sensor. They're replacing the entire axle assembly for failing sensors. I would highly doubt what you're saying would ever be an issue. Might be different if they were replacing the sensors themselves... then again, we wouldn't be in this predicament if that was an option.

Sponsored

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
I doubt you’ll see a dealership open an axle to troubleshoot. If they did, I doubt the mechanic would even recognize the difference between a potted and non potted sensor.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
After talking to my dealer at length when I went through this mess, they told me they aren't even allowed to open the axles. They are to replace the axle and ship the old one off to FCA.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I plan on doing this as soon as my dana diff covers show up....way things are going I might rebuild the engine first.

I've had the potting material. If I hit 5K before they show up I will do it with my stock covers.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Hey y’all,
I have read through this thread, now I’m start to worry. What mileage are the sensors starting to fail? Is this the sensor supplier for Dana? It sure looks like the one ChevyMitchell showed us.
Jeep Wrangler JL Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44 30377FE7-E402-4BA2-AD80-3EE3A4E41C04

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hey y’all,
I have read through this thread, now I’m start to worry. What mileage are the sensors starting to fail? Is this the sensor supplier for Dana? It sure looks like the one ChevyMitchell showed us.
Jeep Wrangler JL Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44 30377FE7-E402-4BA2-AD80-3EE3A4E41C04
If you are worried, pot them. I'm not too worried. I've got 40k. I'll buy the harness if I get an issue and run that until they enable sensor replacement. They will, because they don't like bleeding money and pissing off customers. But their bureaucracy is slow. But I won't lose sleep because it won't leave you stranded on the trail. Ask the Sport, Willys, and Sahara folks. These things are badass even without the lockers. Because of that, I'll monitor the thread for the ultimate solution, but I'm not holding a death watch over them.

And btw, to the group, we shouldn't beat up on @JeepCares. They are only here to help and can only facilitate communication. They are not the engineering or marketing team. They've helped plenty of people around here to get things done, including me. It will absolutely help that they are communicating this up the chain. But if it takes awhile, don't blame them. They don't have the ability to fix it themselves. It benefits NOBODY at Jeep or Dana to keep swapping entire axle assemblies.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
so, Q to those who have potted, since I have not physically looked at a sensor....

When drilling the holes, how many mils is to far into the electronics?-is it like heat shrunk on the board or just encased?

Our OP hand drilled, or should I approach in a press at uber low speed?

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
so, Q to those who have potted, since I have not physically looked at a sensor....

When drilling the holes, how many mils is to far into the electronics?-is it like heat shrunk on the board or just encased?

Our OP hand drilled, or should I approach in a press at uber low speed?
The PCB is maybe 2-4mm below the plastic cap. The plastic is very soft, obviously, so slow speed is crucial to not destroying the PCB solder runs. A press is a great approach.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The PCB is maybe 2-4mm below the plastic cap. The plastic is very soft, obviously, so slow speed is crucial to not destroying the PCB solder runs. A press is a great approach.
Gotcha, was worried about a bur rubbing or something, but will use a pretty shallow bit and go slow.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Hey y’all,
Someone has one fail at 2500 miles. Yes that’s likely the sensor but you can’t buy it.
Sponsored