Sponsored

LED Light option; worth it?

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
first post, first question.

i'll be having a Diesel Wrangler built for on & off pavement use, and am pondering the LED Lighting option.

would be curious to hear the experienced opinions as to whether or not they're worth it, if there are any problems with them, etc.
Not worth it if you seldom drive at night. My rig isn't a DD'r either. When I do drive at night, it's at lower speeds on trails and back roads. I've added a a couple additional off-road lights that work excellent and are directed to the shoulders of the trail/road ahead. BTW, I replaced a broken rear non-LED tail light already. Cheaper
Sponsored

Last edited:

StuartR

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
They are great if you plan to keep them. If your plan is to upgrade to color changing halo lights then don't waste the money.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
I heard those colour changing Halos are not the most reliable and tedious to install. I want to get one but the reviews on some were not too good.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Does every person with LEDs also have to use their fogs as well, even when it’s not foggy?
Not all of us. I fully agree with you here. Anyone who drives with their fogs on when not needed is a grade A jackass. That goes for other vehicles besides the Wrangler. Fog lights are designed to illuminate a wide area directly in front of the vehicle so that you can see the road through thick fog at the slow speed you would drive in the fog. They don't illuminate far enough to be of any use at normal speeds. And actually hurts your night vision. Not to mention the glare that those lights project at oncoming traffic.

cweed917

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2018 GMC Duramax 2500
Another vote here to get them, way better than Halogen

Sponsored

empty pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I didn’t have them. Never missed them. Then I bought my Gladiator with LEDs. Then I upgraded the Harley and my wife’s Honda Crosstour, too. LEDs are freaking awesome!

clemson

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP JL SAHARA UNLIMITED
Absolutely a must have unless you are one of the owners who want purple or some other God awful annoying color.....

i'll be having a Diesel Wrangler built for on & off pavement use, and am pondering the LED Lighting option.

would be curious to hear the experienced opinions as to whether or not they're worth it, if there are any problems with them, etc.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I see lots of votes for LED, but how many have driven both?
I have the standard lights and they are excellent. I will admit that previous generations were not very good, but I have no complaints about the JL. I get people flashing their high beams at me still, honestly they are great.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I've had both. Non-Led on my Sport and Factory LEDs on the Rubicon. Visually, I will always prefer the look of non-LEDs though. I just like the "older" look.

That said, if I was given the choice in the future, I would pick the Factory LEDs every-time... As long as I could get a hood lock (I like Bolt) on there shortly after.

Their cutoff is fantastic and the visibility they provide is amazing. Even when compared to various after-market options like daystars, etc.

Edit: I will add that the current JL factory non-leds are FAR FAR better than the older versions from JKs or TJs. In no way would I say they are "bad".

humrk311

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited / 1999 BMW R1100S / 1998 BMW M3
I have the standard lights and they are excellent. I will admit that previous generations were not very good, but I have no complaints about the JL. I get people flashing their high beams at me still, honestly they are great.
My JLU came with halogens.. I found them absolutely awful.. like dangerously bad!

LEDs were so expensive I first tried replacing the OEM bulbs with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs.. a slight improvement but still inadequate and lots of flashes from oncoming cars.. (they were aimed correctly)

I then installed OEM LED headlights, fogs and DRLs.. wow! Yes, it was expensive (around $1k including a Tazer) but the difference was amazing! Much more light with much better cut-offs.. no flashes from oncoming cars..

Also, no more burnt out halogen bulbs and probably a slight bump in resale value

Sponsored

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi Sting Grey 2018, Toy. 4Runner Mag Grey 2013, Ford Transit 250 2020, Toy. Highlander Hybrid 2012 etc.
Occupation
Salesman
Definitely SPLURGE SPLUURRRRGEEE SPLURGE on the LED system!! I <3 IT! NOT only is it bright white lights to see at day/night, it EZ for people to spot you from far far far away. Lastly you look cool, successful, lots of eyeballs, & disco tech tech flashers (like your famous), & people envy you. You can ALWAYS have the option to turn it off in the UCONNECT when you want to be HUMBLE...lol Way better investment then the leather sits which u can ALWAYS cover yourself if u have the NEW urge to splurge for it. (3M it though) CHEEERS!! :champagne::beer::beer:;);)

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Hell yeah they are night and day difference, and a must. That is the only option I wish I had included from the factory that I left off. If you looking into lights look into the Kiwi Master lights on Amazon. They are about 250, easy enough to install, and provide great illumination.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
After having a car with LED headlights, halogen just doesn't cut the mustard. Or the ketchup. Or even the relish.
It does nothing for the wiener.
Anyone who drives with their fogs on when not needed is a grade A jackass.
Jeep Wrangler JL LED Light option; worth it? 1600714496371

I have. The rental had Halogens. To be fair, when I had the halogens, I didn’t get what the fuss with LEDs was all about because the halogens weren’t anywhere near as bad as they were made to seem.

They were a far cry over and better than the TJ’s halogens.

However, my current Wrangler has LEDs front and rear and I wouldn’t go back. Worth the money to get from the factory.

TXSOLO

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Sahara
I have had experience with all three types. OEM- LED & Halogen and aftermarket (Oracle 9”Oculus)
In my opinion if buying after purchase of Jeep just purchase take off turn/DRL & fogs. Oracle headlights are much cheaper option than OEM & just as good to my eyes. I purchased all front LED’s for less than $1,000. Sahara came with rear LED’s.

tkelly11

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wanderingobservations.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
I thought the halogens were generally ok until a recent trip down to Virginia and one night driving through the depths of rural Ohio they felt dangerously ineffective. Felt like I could only see about 20 (hazy) feet in front of the car. I had never realized just how terrible they were as dont drive that much at night but absolutely plan to replace them now with the Oracle Oculus 9's before winter.
Sponsored