Sponsored

LED headlights in winter?

zznalg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S manual
Do the LED headlights get covered in ice and snow in the winter? Or do they somehow melt the ice and snow in the extreme cold?
Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen lots of different comments on the LEDs in snow from 'no problem' to ' worst ever'. Actual conditions seem to affect how much build up there is, if any. I've only been in snow a couple of times and hasn't been any problem, but it was light snow.

Andy-jr.

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 White JKU, 2012 Black JK 2018 White Grand Cherokee, 2001 TJ, 2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
I've had plenty of snow, cold, and salt. The Jeep gets warm fast, no buildup around the headlights that was significant enough to cause any issue.
I think it depends on the light. I have JW Speaker LED headlights on my jk and it will build up. If the snow is blowing the lights don't put off enough heat to melt the snow fast enough. I have cheap Amazon LED lights on my TJ and never had any problems.

Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Seems to depend on the type of snow falling, and how dirty your jeep is (I think). I've never had build up issues until the other night. I suspect a coat of wax on the headlights would help. Hasn't happened often enough for me to be upset about it.
20191023_183414.jpg
20191023_183416.jpg

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
I think it depends on the specific conditions, but they CAN ice over if it's cold enough. Here's proof, plus a couple of other pics that illustrate that these were pretty extreme highway conditions.

IMG_5179.jpg

IMG_5175.jpg

IMG_5177.jpg

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
If it is a concern spray WD40 on the lenses. It will reduce road grime, snow or mud build-up. WD40 also works well in the fender liners for the same reason when off-roading. Makes clean up easy.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a cheap pair of Hella incandescent Black Magic lights for the bumper after having mine ice over badly in a snowstorm. Of course, after buying and mounting the Hellas, it didn't happen again. I have since swapped out the Hellas and put in a pair of Baja Designs LP6 lights. They are hot enough to melt ice, so they'll be there if such conditions arise again. In years and years with my JK and Trucklites, they only froze over once, but again, did it badly when they did. It was in a blizzard in Vail Pass. Fortunately, I kept the incandescent fog lights and had a set of Baja Designs Fuegos, as well.

The Hellas are an inexpensive option and they look great. They aren't super bright, but they'll get you where you are going safely. I'll post a pic when I get home from work.

EJA

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
I had mine ice over once last year. I knew somebody that worked at Hella and got these at a good price just in case it happens again. Same as with Dan, I never had the chance to use them for snow yet.

Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 8.28.09 PM.png

Sponsored

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Central Ohio, it snows here too.
My OEM LED headlights get snow covered after traveling a short distance.
My headlights don't produce as much heat as halogen headlights.
My headlights got snow covered this past winter to the point that I would have to get out and wipe them off before going any further.
I expect that my OEM LED taillights get snow covered as well, don't know?
When I get out to wipe the snow off of the headlights I haven't thought to walk around and check the taillights. I will do that this winter.
Notice that semi trailers with LED taillights get snow covered.
I bought a pair of KC halogen fog lights and mounted them to the winch guard so that others will see me coming and I can see the highway.
Hope this helps.
Love my LED'S though.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If it is a concern spray WD40 on the lenses. It will reduce road grime, snow or mud build-up. WD40 also works well in the fender liners for the same reason when off-roading. Makes clean up easy.
I needed this tip in my life! Thx :rock:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The WD was historically Water Displacement. It kinda just started being used as a lubricant but it's really not a great lubricant or penetrating oil.

It can be great for electrical and cleaning wiring harnesses, though.
Yup. Water displacer #40.