Sponsored

Leave the SGW module unplugged?

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Quick question. While tweaking the tire size with JScan, can I leave the 12+8 bypass hooked up and the SGW module unplugged without throwing codes…. Yes I can prolly clear them later. But want to drive it to check speedo to tweak size if needed and don’t want to plug and unplug a bunch.
Sponsored

cchambers74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
I left mine plugged in drove it around the block and made sure the Speedo was accurate and then unplugged when I was all done and it didn’t throw any codes in the 10-15 minutes I left it plugged in…

Cody

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I leave my Jscan in all the time. its not “hardware” you should be able to make your change and unplug it if you wish to. But i leave mine in at all times because i dont take my vehicle to the dealer, I’m the only person who used the OBDII port. You shouldnt get any codes.

OP
OP
stumblinhorse

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I was just going to leave the bypass cable plugged in. I will Unplug the BT OBDII reader. Sounds like it is ok.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I was just going to leave the bypass cable plugged in. I will Unplug the BT OBDII reader. Sounds like it is ok.
@stumblinhorse

It's ok...

I see you already have / are using a Chrysler 12+8 adapter.

You might want to forget using the Chrysler 12+8 adapter and just buy and use a Security Gateway Bypass module at a cost of $24.99.

When the SGW Bypass Module is installed , it is not dangling down like your 12+8 adapter... your gateway cables are connected to the SGW Bypass Module... AND anytime you want to use JSCAN all you need to do is plug in your OBDll Bluetooth Scanner into the OBDll port.. You do know that JSCAN has uses lets say while actively driving your JL..

A terrific way to go is to buy a ECRI, $24.99 SGW Bypass Module and a SGW Gateway Extension Cable ($29) from ZAutomotive. With that extension cable you can easily disconnect the Security Gateway Bypass Module and not have to get up under there to plug in the two connectors at the SGW. And then you just push up and and easily hide the SGW Extension Cable..

Remember, you can't have the two connectors at the Security Gateway disconnected when the JL goes to the dealer. They need to be connected or the Tech will not be able to use the WiTechll computer on your JL.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stumblinhorse

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
thanks @Rhinebeck01 !

I am all plugged in and connected and reading settings. I got my license and have both devices working. The second device automatically had the token. So same iCloud account must do some magic as well.

Appreciate all your help. Way easier than a procal! Dip switches!

just need to decide what tire size to choose for my at3 35x11.50x17 And press ”go” for that and 30psi front and back.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
thanks @Rhinebeck01 !

I am all plugged in and connected and reading settings. I got my license and have both devices working. The second device automatically had the token. So same iCloud account must do some magic as well.

Appreciate all your help. Way easier than a procal! Dip switches!

just need to decide what tire size to choose for my at3 35x11.50x17 And press ”go” for that and 30psi front and back.

@stumblinhorse

Glad you are getting it done... 8-)

Were both your devices Android, you would have seen the same thing .... no need to type in the Token on the second.

Now, if one device was Android and the other ios ,then you would not see that.... and would need the Token for entry into JSCAN,

Best bet is to keep a record of your Token so if things go a muck and not do as you saw (this happens occasionally but rarely) or if you are using an Android and an ios mix, that again, you are not held up..

Yes, you can chat with JSCAN in Poland but that can take some time because of the time difference,

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
I tried leaving the 2 SGW connectors. My 8.4 wouldn’t turn on. So plugged them back in as pita as it is. Ordered the Z Automotive SGW extension cable to make it more convenient.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I tried leaving the 2 SGW connectors. My 8.4 wouldn’t turn on. So plugged them back in as pita as it is. Ordered the Z Automotive SGW extension cable to make it more convenient.
Weird. I've always left mine plugged into bypass cable and have never had an issue.

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Weird. I've always left mine plugged into bypass cable and have never had an issue.
To be clear it was the SGW connectors unplugged but with the adapter removed. I’m using a 12+8 cable with the OBD MX+ and JScan.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
To be clear it was the SGW connectors unplugged but with the adapter removed. I’m using a 12+8 cable with the OBD MX+ and JScan.
The OBDII adaptor? Ya, I leave that connected as well. It shuts itself off though so it isn't just sharing my whole jeep to the world.

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The OBDII adaptor? Ya, I leave that connected as well. It shuts itself off though so it isn't just sharing my whole jeep to the world.
This - if I leave the black plugs disconnected after I unplug my OBD II adapter (small black MX+ box) and SGW defeat cable (cable with red connectors), the center 8.4 screen doesn’t come on. I have to plug those black connector back up under the dash.

They are buried up there and a pain to get to. I’ll be getting an extension to be able to access the connectors when I want to connect my adapter again, instead of having to reach up and scrape my hands.

Jeep Wrangler JL Leave the SGW module unplugged? 5D31699C-D896-4F66-BB96-6E8885F990A8