Keyfob now 30% smaller!

LITTLE WILLYS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited willys
Just ordered my smooth fob, and two key holders. I have manual locks, so the big clumsy fob is a PIA every time I have to unlock the jeep. Soon it will be like the old days.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I got my FOB case yesterday and installed the board. Amazing how such a small dimensional change can make such a difference in feel.

There have been many pictures of the top view, but the edge thickness is also much thinner. The total volume reduction is more than 30%, probably more than 50%.
Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! 20210831_095328

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I got my FOB case yesterday and installed the board. Amazing how such a small dimensional change can make such a difference in feel.

There have been many pictures of the top view, but the edge thickness is also much thinner. The total volume reduction is more than 30%, probably more than 50%.
Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! 20210831_095328
@roaniecowpony

Would really like to hear your overall thoughts in regard to the Mini after having t/using it for a few days.. Yes, takes a bit to get use the the mini size but geeeeeez, so nice...

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
@roaniecowpony

Would really like to hear your overall thoughts in regard to the Mini after having t/using it for a few days.. Yes, takes a bit to get use the the mini size but geeeeeez, so nice...
No getting used to it. It's darn nice. The size of a normal fob. It's in my pocket right now. Perfect.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those that were asking about the assorted colors, etc. the DI Labs comes in..

LITTLE WILLYS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited willys
I bought one smooth no button fob, and two key holders. All I can say is it was the best 53 bucks I have spent. My keys will actually fit in the back of a pickup truck now. LOL And I do not have to fumble to open the key, unlock, and close it before getting into the jeep.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought one smooth no button fob, and two key holders. All I can say is it was the best 53 bucks I have spent. My keys will actually fit in the back of a pickup truck now. LOL And I do not have to fumble to open the key, unlock, and close it before getting into the jeep.
I have one nitwit here on the forum and another buddy of his that got banned from the forum....that likes to call me a fanboy of the DI Labs fobs..... Well, @LITTLE WILLYS , you for one ...know why I am indeed a fanboy of them.. ;) Yup, a real nice mini fob .... Many here have them and truly enjoy them as you ..

LITTLE WILLYS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited willys
OK, I hear ya.... I thought you were saying thinking the RFID chip had something to do with passive entry which it does not... The circuit board and battery are what works with the passive entry...
I am confused. If passive entry (circuit board), and proximity (RFID chip) are not working together, then why do I need the circit board at all since I have manual locks? I thought the board worked as a repeater antenna for the RFDI chip. What other reason would a manual lock vehicle have for circit board, and battery?

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
I am confused. If passive entry (circuit board), and proximity (RFID chip) are not working together, then why do I need the circit board at all since I have manual locks? I thought the board worked as a repeater antenna for the RFDI chip. What other reason would a manual lock vehicle have for circit board, and battery?
Push button start.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know there are a few guys and gals here that are on the fence so to speak in regard to buying one of these DI Labs aftermarket mini fobs.... Yes, they are real nice....

Anyway, some are on the fence, mainly because they are concerned about removing the RFID chip... .....Saying, what if I do not like the aftermarket fob, yada yada....

Well, you or anyone at that, in less then two minutes, can take the circuit board and battery out of the stock fob. So easy for anyone to do..... You can do that and then just hide (Hide it well) the gutted stock fob with the RFID chip still in it, in your JL.

You would want to have the stock fob shell with the RFID chip hidden in the JL/JT, just in case your fob battery ever went dead in the fob, or the circuit board in the fob died, etc.. (rare event)

Your DI Labs fobs without the RFID chip will work just as if the chip was in it...

You do not need the RFID chip.... only time you need it is if the fob stops working and you have to push the chip against the start button while you foot is on the brake pedal to start the JL.

SO, an alternative for those that are adamant that they do not want to remove the RFID chip, but still would enjoy having/using a DI Labs fob, do consider this alternative.

LITTLE WILLYS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited willys

I have one nitwit here on the forum and another buddy of his that got banned from the forum....that likes to call me a fanboy of the DI Labs fobs..... Well, @LITTLE WILLYS , you for one ...know why I am indeed a fanboy of them.. ;) Yup, a real nice mini fob .... Many here have them and truly enjoy them as you ..
Well I truly understand why you are a fan. So much better than the factory oversized fob. I can actually put my keys in my pocket now.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

You would want to have the stock fob shell with the RFID chip hidden in the JL/JT, just in case your fob battery ever went dead in the fob, or the circuit board in the fob died, etc.. (rare event)

Your DI Labs fobs without the RFID chip will work just as if the chip was in it...

You do not need the RFID chip.... only time you need it is if the fob stops working and you have to push the chip against the start button while you foot is on the brake pedal to start the JL.

SO, an alternative for those that are adamant that they do not want to remove the RFID chip, but still would enjoy having/using a DI Labs fob, do consider this alternative.

I got a bit lost in this post. Is the RFID chip separate from the circuit board? I didn't see anything left in the OEM fob case.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)