Keyfob now 30% smaller!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
How hard is it to dig that RFID chip out of the case?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@roaniecowpony

Some of the RFID chips in the JL/JT fobs come out really really easy.. Some can be a bit of a workout to remove.. I have removed say 6 or so and only one made me really work at it..

Watch the DI Labs and AJT Designs disassembly video in regard to the chip removal process, etc.. Both videos are decent/ will give you some insight on what is involved / how to do.
Read through this whole thread also......

I do the chip removal a bit differently.... I take a very very small bladed flat tip screw driver and gently, tap tap it down with a small hammer between the chip and the side wall housing (drive into the tiny crease/gap) that it is in.

The gentle tap tap forces the side wall to spread a bit and then I can pry the chip up.

The chip is very hard and deals aok with the side pressure created by the screwdriver blade moving through the gap... Just don't pierce the chip with a knife, razor, scalpel blade as that could kill the chip...

Anyway, if you go easy, the chip will come out regardless of the method... Just go easy..

Remember as I mentioned earlier.... you do not need to remove the chip if you do not want to... OH... the chip you remove from a stock fob is easily put back in place.

Were you ever to have an issue with a chip or circuit board that is still under warranty, you would want to get the stock fob back to stock before returning it to the dealer for replacement. This is easy to do/doable.. Do not tell volunteer to the dealer that you had the guts out of the stock fob..

CDRMidnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Just like Newman said on Seinfeld... 'Just crease, crumble, cram... You'll do fine!'

(Admittedly, it does take a bit of effort, but totally worth it.) :like:

@Rhinebeck01 -- Any tips on getting the pin out of the key portion? I've been trying to get that apart now for 2 days with no luck on my 2nd fob. The bloody thing is IN there. Any tips?

Cheers,
-CM-

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just like Newman said on Seinfeld... 'Just crease, crumble, cram... You'll do fine!'

@Rhinebeck01 -- Any tips on getting the pin out of the key portion? I've been trying to get that apart now for 2 days with no luck on my 2nd fob. The bloody thing is IN there. Any tips?

Cheers,
-CM-
I have used a push pin and tap tapped it in to the hole and that pushes the roll pin out.

Place some thick cardboard under the metal that the roll pin is in... so the pin can go into the cardboard, and not be damaged or damage the roll pin, or the table under it...

You can also align the piece that has the roll pin in it over a small metal say 6mm socket's hole and then tap the roll pin out... CAREFUL, that little roll pin can get lost easily if you are not careful. (No, I have never lost one)

I also have used a small small finish nail.... the size of a little nail that comes with a picture frame hook.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Cheers,
-CM-
@CDRMidnight

How did you make out with the roll pin?

CDRMidnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
@CDRMidnight

How did you make out with the roll pin?
Finally… That sucker was in there good. Took me about an hour, tapping away gently and using cardboard underneath as per your excellent suggestion. Crikey!

Cheers,
-CM-

VitaminK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL and military HMMWV
I just bought one of these. Thank god I don’t have to carry a VCR in my pocket anymore. No going back as I had to destroy my fob to get the RFID out. Don’t care though.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just bought one of these. Thank god I don’t have to carry a VCR in my pocket anymore. No going back as I had to destroy my fob to get the RFID out. Don’t care though.
@VitaminK

Getting the RFID out with minimal to no damage is doable..... patience and not getting too excited about the terrific tiny fob you are transitioning to is helpful when dealing with the RFID. Some of them do resist coming out.

IF, you ever are in a bind and need a stock fob without the guts, let me know. I have a spare..

SO, which style did you go with in regard to the DI Labs fob? I know you really like it.. :like:

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
If I made a list about the things I like least about my Jeep, this damn key fob would be so far up there that nothing else would come close.
wow, I'd say you have a damn well-made Jeep then if the keyfob size is the issue at top of your list.. I pray that is the case with my Jeep as well! lol

Sponsored

VitaminK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL and military HMMWV
I got the one that didn’t house the key (not sure if it’s even out yet). I saw the online picture and thought even a fraction smaller would be an improvement and it looked honestly only slightly smaller. In real life, it’s tiny. For reference it’s about the same size now as my wife’s 4Runner key fob or an older Ford key fob. It also weighs way less.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got the one that didn’t house the key (not sure if it’s even out yet). I saw the online picture and thought even a fraction smaller would be an improvement and it looked honestly only slightly smaller. In real life, it’s tiny. For reference it’s about the same size now as my wife’s 4Runner key fob or an older Ford key fob. It also weighs way less.
@VitaminK

Sounds like you have the Mini.... although even the Model S is smaller then the stock fob.

The Model S+ with retractable key is not being sold yet, but will be in a few weeks from what I have been told.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well the time has come!!! You can now pre-order the DI Labs Model S+ . They will start shipping on 10/23/21.

Can tell you the S+ fob is way cool... Has retractable key and the slider lock is excellent.

The Model S+ which uses the stock button pad is quite a bit smaller then the stock JL/JT fob.

The Model S+ comes in different textures and patterns to include smooth...

Can tell you the Model S+ is a pleasure to have... to use..!

Go here to order/pre-order:
https://mythreedom.com/products/model-splus-black
Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! 8888

Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! S+

Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! 20210816_103713

@crdouglass3

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a video of the Model S+ in action..
Sponsored

Reactions: DC3