Sponsored

Key fob splitting open

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My key fobs both have the gap on one end like itā€™s not closing all the way. Took them apart and put back together and no matter what they wonā€™t close. Design/manufacturing flaw is my guess. Only issue I see is that moisture might get in the fob because the seal isnā€™t closed like it should be.
Yeah, both my fobs are like this
Mine have the gaps as well.....
Brand new rubicon here. Both fobs looks this way. Lololol!
Hello everyone,
Please know the fob's are designed with a small gap. However, if you believe the gap in your fob is not working in spec, we would kindly recommend reaching out to your certified dealers as they will be able to properly diagnose. If you decide to go this route, please do not hesitate reaching out to us privately if any additional assistance is needed throughout that process.
Laura
JeepCares

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Hello everyone,
Please know the fob's are designed with a small gap. However, if you believe the gap in your fob is not working in spec, we would kindly recommend reaching out to your certified dealers as they will be able to properly diagnose. If you decide to go this route, please do not hesitate reaching out to us privately if any additional assistance is needed throughout that process.
Laura
JeepCares
why are they designed to look like theyā€™re split open?

Sponsored

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
Both mine did that wi
Both my key fobs are splitting open. Tried but can't get either of them to close tight. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone fixed theirs?
20200111_101122.jpg
th days of purch my JL. Dealer was like, ā€œdonā€™t know what to tell you. Put a case on itā€. Really, a case on a brick, thatā€™s your answer. Lol.

Aesikidesi

First Name
Rubin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUA / RUFICON
Occupation
Data Analyst / IT Data Recovery
Vehicle Showcase
Both mine did that wi

th days of purch my JL. Dealer was like, ā€œdonā€™t know what to tell you. Put a case on itā€. Really, a case on a brick, thatā€™s your answer. Lol.
Wow what a bunch of jerks.....lol. i went in like i was all serious face. told the guy there is a defect with the key fob spliting and jeep cares told me to bring this in to get replaced. he looked at me and said "let me get with my parts department sir please have a seat" 15 mins later he is telling me they just ordered replacement parts and should be here in 3 days. 3 days later walked in got new key fobs. you gotta look mean.....LOL.

Wingingit74

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 TJ & 19 JLUS
I found a solution to the key fob issues. ā€¢ Back cover split open ā€¢ Switchblade key stabbing you in the leg when in your pocket
If you cover is spit open, do this... Take the back cover off, remove the battery, remove the torx head screws, remove the battery tray, remove key/spring/button. Notice how the button works with the key and how the spring tabs into the battery tray. At this point, you can fix the key stabbing you! IF YOU DON'T WANT THE KEY TO FLIP OUT. ADD SOME KNURLS TO THE OUTSIDE CURVE OF THE KEY, PUT THE BUTTON AND SPRING IN THE KEY, PLACE THE SPRING INTO THE BATTTERY TRAY SPRING CATCH, WIND THE KEY 3/4 THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION. If you like the switchblade, do the same as above but wind the key in the open direction. Put the but the battery tray and button tray together, make sure it all settle flush, reinstall screws, reinstall battery, reinstall cover and BINGO your done.

Project Time: ~10 minutes

tempImage1B4XjE.png

tempImagenqegfB.png

tempImageHEJy0F.png

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I just assume there's an even larger fob inside trying to get out...

Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Sounds like all this may have been a @Threedom opportunity? šŸ‘šŸ˜Š

Shameless plug alert! Now please make me some golf themed Threedom items!!!

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
RETIRED!
Add me to the list of owners with the key fobs that are splitting open. I am just passed the 3 year warranty mark. I did find an online retailer that sells replacement fob cases. If any of you want to go that route, you can order them HERE

JEP_FLIP-CASE-4B-PAIR-2.jpg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Add me to the list of owners with the key fobs that are splitting open. I am just passed the 3 year warranty mark. I did find an online retailer that sells replacement fob cases. If any of you want to go that route, you can order them HERE

JEP_FLIP-CASE-4B-PAIR-2.jpg
Funny.... why would anyone order a replica of the stock, clunky, oversized fob casing...

For a a few $ more money, you can find an aftermarket, custom design... far smaller and nicer JL/JT fob... and easily move your stock fobs inner's and cut key to that fob.

Maybe you are not familiar with @Threedom fob offerings...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/šŸ“’-šŸ”‘-ā˜€-fob-scrapbook-whats-in-your-pocket-add-yours.89917/

https://mythreedom.com/

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
RETIRED!