bslaberge

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR w/ Sky One Touch Power Top
Vehicle Showcase
Both my key fobs are splitting open. Tried but can't get either of them to close tight. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone fixed theirs?
20200111_101122.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

TRJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Rubicon
Open up fob like you are going to replace battery , inside there is 4 or 5 very small Torx screws, you may need to purchase a small torx kit, 1or more are loose, this will also create weird happenings with doors locking and or unlocking, horn blowing, just do not over tighten screws, on one of my fobs the screws came loose and created above issues, refastening resolved all issues.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Both my key fobs are splitting open. Tried but can't get either of them to close tight. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone fixed theirs?
20200111_101122.jpg
Hi Ben,
Are you considering having your dealer take a look? We are available via PM if assistance is needed throughout your dealer visit.
Alex
JeepCares

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Mine are also like this. @JeepCares, is this something that Jeep would replace for me?

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Mine are also like this. @JeepCares, is this something that Jeep would replace for me?
Hello,
We recommend reaching out to your dealer. They will be able to tell if your key fobs are within spec.
Alex
JeepCares

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,
We recommend reaching out to your dealer. They will be able to tell if your key fobs are within spec.
Alex
JeepCares
Haha, within spec? Get ready for "working as designed" from the dealer!!

OP
OP
bslaberge

bslaberge

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Open up fob like you are going to replace battery , inside there is 4 or 5 very small Torx screws, you may need to purchase a small torx kit, 1or more are loose, this will also create weird happenings with doors locking and or unlocking, horn blowing, just do not over tighten screws, on one of my fobs the screws came loose and created above issues, refastening resolved all issues.
Thanks for the suggestion Jeff but no go. I was able to tighten all the scews a bit but was still unable to close the gap no matter how much pressure I applied. It looks to me like a design or flaw because that corner doesn't have clips that positively engage like the other corners.

TRJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Rubicon
looks like you are willing and able to do this. reopen fob, remove battery, loosen screws and position till all buttons function /click and don't rub on cover. tighten screws, now check edges for damage from prying open fob and trim clean, install battery, put fob cover back on ( if you want use a Q tip with dish soap and apply a tiny film around mating edge then put fob cover back on)
good luck with repair or your dealer getting a new fob and programming:like:

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I just asked my local dealer when I was in for another service. The parts guys told my service advisor that about 1/2 the replacements they get in have the same gaps, so thereā€™s really nothing we can do.

Sponsored

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
Ive had this issue since day 1, I've learned to ignore it and live with it.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I just asked my local dealer when I was in for another service. The parts guys told my service advisor that about 1/2 the replacements they get in have the same gaps, so thereā€™s really nothing we can do.
Another case of a high level of customer focus by FCA and their dealers.

OP
OP
bslaberge

bslaberge

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer ordered two new key fobs under warranty. My two New fobs don't have the gap! :like: (New fobs without the gap are pictured below. See my original post for pictures of the gap)
20200306_134739.jpg

Last edited:

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
My key fobs both have the gap on one end like itā€™s not closing all the way. Took them apart and put back together and no matter what they wonā€™t close. Design/manufacturing flaw is my guess. Only issue I see is that moisture might get in the fob because the seal isnā€™t closed like it should be.
Sponsored