Sponsored

Key fob not Detected, fob not operating

rswanson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
This morning my JLU Sport did not start up using the push start button ignition. I had to use the fob pressing the start button, as directed by prompts on the cluster display.

When I exited after driving I noted that the vehicle did not respond to remote locking. I didn't have the Jeep locked last night so didn't use the fob until in the seat.

At work, I popped the fob open and reseated the battery. The Jeep locked and unlocked at approach and started with the button. I figured a drained battery in the fob was the culprit, even though my Jeep is only 9 months old. After swapping the battery with a new CR2450 battery, there is no further response to the fob. The reserve fob is equally useless.

When I first press start, I get a display "Key Fob Not Detected" and after pressing again "Push Button with Key Fob to Start" upon doing so, the vehicle starts. I notice there is a delay when pressing the fob into the button before it turns over. I pulled the starter fuse and replaced but that's about the extent of my abilities here. I do have remote start but that doesn't work, nor does the panic button. In short, the Jeep is not responding at all to either fob, save pushing into the start button.

I've done a web search and forum search but nothing conclusive. Anyone have similar issues or ideas before I contact the dealer? Thanks!
Sponsored

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
Might be a problem in the rf hub or something going on in the bcm.... Unless somehow the battery is not sitting right in the fob

OP
OP

rswanson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Might be a problem in the rf hub or something going on in the bcm.... Unless somehow the battery is not sitting right in the fob
Thanks for the reply. I can rule out the battery issue since I switched out the battery in one and both fobs provide no functionality.

Update- this morning all the same symptoms still exist but in addition, I had a passenger exit from the right front seat and I get a message stating "Key Fob has Left the Vehicle" which persists even after the door is closed. I have both fobs with me. It seems like they're not being recognized by the vehicle. Any guesses?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@rswanson

Have the JL, flat bedded (not towed) to the dealer. FCA pays for the flat bed. Call this number: 1-800-992-1997

The component (rf hub) on your JL that deals with the fobs has apparently died or ..........

Highonlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2011 JKU
@rswanson

Have the JL, flat bedded (not towed) to the dealer. FCA pays for the flat bed. Call this number: 1-800-992-1997

The component (rf hub) on your JL that deals with the fobs has apparently died or ..........
This is unfortunately your best option it sounds like

Sponsored

OP
OP

rswanson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
@rswanson

I can drive the vehicle. I just have to press the fob into the starter, as if the battery in the fob was dead. Then, she starts up and drives normally.

Actually, I now have to add "HAD to press the fob..." because the issue has resolved, at least temporarily. After my passenger got out of the vehicle and I got the message that the fob was not in the vehicle, I drove on to work and left the message on the gauge cluster display. It stayed on the display during the entire drive in. When I arrived, I shut the Jeep off. And....all works normally...fob, start button,
everything. Whatever got out-of-whack is now in-whack.

Puzzled....but hope it was an anamoly. I'll update for reference if the condition returns.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
I can drive the vehicle. I just have to press the fob into the starter, as if the battery in the fob was dead. Then, she starts up and drives normally.

Actually, I now have to add "HAD to press the fob..." because the issue has resolved, at least temporarily. After my passenger got out of the vehicle and I got the message that the fob was not in the vehicle, I drove on to work and left the message on the gauge cluster display. It stayed on the display during the entire drive in. When I arrived, I shut the Jeep off. And....all works normally...fob, start button,
everything. Whatever got out-of-whack is now in-whack.

Puzzled....but hope it was an anamoly. I'll update for reference if the condition returns.
Did this ever crop up as an issue again? My wife had a similar experience last night. FOB battery is barely above nominal 3V but still good (I ordered a couple new ones anyway). Please advise & Thanks!

WRANBO

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Did this ever crop up as an issue again? My wife had a similar experience last night. FOB battery is barely above nominal 3V but still good (I ordered a couple new ones anyway). Please advise & Thanks!
I’m having this issue right now… did you figure out what caused it?

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Maybe a silly question, but the batteries you swapped into the fobs were new batteries, correct? Not ones that have been sitting around a while?

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
I’m having this issue right now… did you figure out what caused it?
A brand new battery and the issue never occurred again. Put a fresh battery in:)

Sponsored

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Did I miss it? Why wasn't the second fob provided by Stellantis with the vehicle tested as as control?

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
Had one fob fail on me. Just to test things out, the same battery works just fine when inserted into my other fob. Tried a brand new battery as well. I'm assuming something on the fob's board failed.
Sponsored