First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Two mornings in a row the Jeep would not start with the fob in my pocket. Interestingly, every subsequent attempt in the same day it works fine. This morning the door wouldn't unlock either (proximity feature), I had to take the fob out and hit the button. Again, that worked fine the rest of the day.

I stopped by the local dealer and the service writer thought as new as the Jeep is it's unlikely the fob battery, they'll have to "test" it. I'll have to make an appointment to take it back in.

Anyone else share this experience? What was the fix?
Sponsored

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I have had similar problems but have narrowed it down to something else in the pocket causing interference with the keyfob signal. As an example...the fob will not work with my iPhone in the pocket in front of the phone between key fob and JEEP line of sight. This is most evident when trying to just unlock the doors using the door handle proximity. However, on occasion, it will not unlock the car until I remove either the phone or the fob from the pocket. I have also encountered the same situations with other electronic devices such as a multi-meter or a large lithium battery.

I have only on one occasion had to remove the items from my pockets to get the key out to start the car. I did change the battery after that and that problem has been resolved but unlocking doors...with stuff in the pockets...not working all the time.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Two mornings in a row the Jeep would not start with the fob in my pocket. Interestingly, every subsequent attempt in the same day it works fine. This morning the door wouldn't unlock either (proximity feature), I had to take the fob out and hit the button. Again, that worked fine the rest of the day.

I stopped by the local dealer and the service writer thought as new as the Jeep is it's unlikely the fob battery, they'll have to "test" it. I'll have to make an appointment to take it back in.

Anyone else share this experience? What was the fix?
@Jmonroe

Did you try your other fob? IF it all works well with your second fob, then you know you have an issue with the first fob.

If the second fob works aok, DO change the battery in the problematic fob. IF you insert a fresh battery and the problematic fob, still does not work, then the fob will need to be replaced. Battery is easy for the JL owner to do..

When you go to the dealership for a fob related issue or to get a new fob you MUST bring both your fobs with you. Dealer will have to reprogram both fobs..

Fob batteries can fail at any time. Just because you have a new / fairly new JL means nada.

OP
OP
Jmonroe

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the responses.

The only thing "new" in my pocket is a small bottle of hand sanitizer.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
@Jmonroe

Did you try your other fob? IF it all works well with your second fob, then you know you have an issue with the first fob.

If the second fob works aok, DO change the battery in the problematic fob. IF you insert a fresh battery and the problematic fob, still does not work, then the fob will need to be replaced. Battery is easy for the JL owner to do..

When you go to the dealership for a fob related issue or to get a new fob you MUST bring both your fobs with you. Dealer will have to reprogram both fobs..

Fob batteries can fail at any time. Just because you have a new / fairly new JL means nada.
Truer words were never spoken.

I work with a product which uses a similar type battery. About 5% of any batch received, the voltage is already below minimum spec. And typically after that another non-insignificant % will fail under a random load test.

It's almost that in order to guarantee a good working battery, it has to be explicitly tested within the same load conditions of its intended circuit. Never going to happen in a large volume product unless it is within a critical application. Of which a key fob certainly is not.

How people are being so fooled into thinking batteries are such wonderfully perfect devices, especially being manufactured in mass with very low profit margins (certainly for consumer grade products), never ceases to amaze me. Most give little thought to the packaging complexity, chemistry and overall physics behind these little magical power-plants.

Even for Teslas, a significant factor of the ownership cost and operation is the battery. Why do you think they try and hide the replacement cost of any electric vehicle battery? Simply because it's way more than routine maintenance costs for a typical internal combustion engine (ICE) over the same time period.

Batteries are indeed way cool when they work. Exceedingly frustrating when they don't.

Regardless, I'll wager a smiley face emoji that your issue IS the battery.

Please try that first before any other remedy.

Jay

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmonroe

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I've put batteries on my shopping list

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I experienced the fob not detected problem yesterday. The fob was fully functional...would even remote start the Jeep from a long distance. I unhooked the main battery for 10 minutes - all is back to normal now. This is the first glitch I’ve had in 5 months of ownership. Hope this does not become a recurring issue. Both fobs had the problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jmonroe

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I experienced the fob not detected problem yesterday. The fob was fully functional...would even remote start the Jeep from a long distance. I unhooked the main battery for 10 minutes - all is back to normal now. This is the first glitch I’ve had in 5 months of ownership. Hope this does not become a recurring issue. Both fobs had the problem.
Had same problem recently, assumed too new to be a bad battery, but...

Replaced the battery and haven't had the problem since.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Has anyone had their key fob range reduced dramatically? I thought my battery was dying so I put in fresh ones and my fob range is still like 30ft. It used to be a whole city block at the least
@Black Cars Matter

Do you see the same behavior when using your 2nd/other fob? I expect your answer to be yes..
Sponsored