Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

My '20 JLUR was recently totaled, so I've been trying to figure out what I'll replace it with. I'm considering buying one pre-built by AEV. Some advantages:
  • Full package
  • High quality
  • Financed into original cost
  • 3 year / 36k Warranty
  • Covered by insurance(?)
  • Love the way it looks
  • Previous incremental upgrade attempts were "challenging" to justify with the wife and were constantly being pushed back to next year
Yes, it's damn expensive, but I realized that I wouldn't be paying labor to have all of those things added over the years after purchase.

My question: how much would labor cost (wild ballpark) to install the following on a new JLUR diesel?
  • Suspension
  • 4.56 gears
  • Skid plate
  • Front and rear bumper
  • Winch
  • Tire carrier
Note that I'm talking over $15k in upgrades. Just trying to figure out if I can use the lack of labor as an additional significant justification.

https://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/jl-wrangler/jl-wrangler-build-and-price/
Sponsored

backs1de

First Name
Brando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon - 3.6l Auto - Stingrey
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Biomed Engineer
Clubs

Way less to do it yourself. AEV are nice but way overpriced.... their bumpers are $2k.

• Suspension $2k for comparable kit installed
  • 4.56 gears $2k
  • Skid plate included in gear swap
  • Front and rear bumper $1500 for a nice set installed yourself
  • Winch $600, install it yourself
  • Tire carrier $700 installed yourself
And you will have money left for better tires/wheels, lights, recovery gear, air up options (tank or compressor)

Not worth it in my opinion, half the fun of a jeep is learning about it and you will learn a lot more doing it yourself, i see people with jeeps that are all bought and don't even have tools to perform minor repairs on their trail/rig if it breaks.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
  • Suspension - $450
  • 4.56 gears - $1200
  • Skid plate - $150
  • Front and rear bumper - $150
  • Winch - $200
  • Tire carrier - $350

Labor totals, roughly, $2,500

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I’m a huge fan of AEV, really like their products, and would have one now if the dealer actually had the one advertised as “on the lot” actually there because I’m somewhat impulsive. Before we ever had a Jeep I was very interested in their Prospector HD trucks so my appreciation runs deep.

It’s also nice that they are fully equipped, warranted, easily financed, go hit some trails ready. That being said, if you look at what is included in their packages you are paying a LOT for cosmetic bs. A new dash with their logo, new seats with their logo, new badges with their logo…

We still went with AEV dual sport lift and installed it ourselves. As @backs1de said, you can do all of it, the gearing is the only thing I didn’t do and if I went to 37’s+ would pay a shop to handle.

if you just don’t want to wrench on it yourself you’d still come in under the cost of an AEV paying a shop. On the other hand, if you have the money, approval from the CEO, and want it because it’s unique… git er done.

Edit: apologies for not answering your actual question.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
  • Suspension - $450
  • 4.56 gears - $1200
  • Skid plate - $150
  • Front and rear bumper - $150
  • Winch - $200
  • Tire carrier - $350

Labor totals, roughly, $2,500
Are people really paying to get bumpers and winches installed? Thats nuts. If youll be jeeping youll be fixing. It is worth learning the basics.

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
Are people really paying to get bumpers and winches installed? Thats nuts. If youll be jeeping youll be fixing. It is worth learning the basics.
Don’t hate on people for buying instead of wrenching. There are always people that know more about a subject than someone else might. I would never make fun of someone paying to put a new barrel on their rifle just because I do it myself. Besides, I have a new bumper where the winch needs to go in before I mount it. I can’t lift all the weight so it’s sitting in my garage. If I had paid $300 a shop would have done it done it already and I’d be using it.

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
My '20 JLUR was recently totaled, so I've been trying to figure out what I'll replace it with. I'm considering buying one pre-built by AEV. Some advantages:
  • Full package
  • High quality
  • Financed into original cost
  • 3 year / 36k Warranty
  • Covered by insurance(?)
  • Love the way it looks
  • Previous incremental upgrade attempts were "challenging" to justify with the wife and were constantly being pushed back to next year
Yes, it's damn expensive, but I realized that I wouldn't be paying labor to have all of those things added over the years after purchase.

My question: how much would labor cost (wild ballpark) to install the following on a new JLUR diesel?
  • Suspension
  • 4.56 gears
  • Skid plate
  • Front and rear bumper
  • Winch
  • Tire carrier
Note that I'm talking over $15k in upgrades. Just trying to figure out if I can use the lack of labor as an additional significant justification.

https://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/jl-wrangler/jl-wrangler-build-and-price/
You probably won’t need a regear with the diesel, I’m running 35s and still have plenty of torque left to pass other cars while flat towing a 3500 pound Cherokee XJ. It pulls highway hills at 2000 Rpm without much throttle input.

Even with having someone install your bumpers lift and tires you’ll still come out cheaper than buying one from Aev.

Your reasoning for buying a new wrangler and upgrades now instead of “next year” should be that you money is losing its value and it will only cost you more in the future.

Also if parts are in stock, buy them. I bought most of my parts in the first month after I ordered my wrangler. It took four months for my wrangler to show up and when it did most of the parts were out of stock so I’m glad I bought them ahead of time

Last edited:

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
I actually sucked at it less than a year ago. Then decided to man up and do things myself on a car, starting with my Jeep.

First, easier than I tought. Second, the satisfaction you get from fixing your own rig is second to none. Third, it costs a fraction of the price simply because you are your own labour.

You're totally right. Learn to fix your rig, folks: it's money in your pocket.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Don’t hate on people for buying instead of wrenching. There are always people that know more about a subject than someone else might. I would never make fun of someone paying to put a new barrel on their rifle just because I do it myself. Besides, I have a new bumper where the winch needs to go in before I mount it. I can’t lift all the weight so it’s sitting in my garage. If I had paid $300 a shop would have done it done it already and I’d be using it.
I am not making fun of anyone. I dont hate them either. Take a chill pill

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If it's within your pocketbook, I like the concept, although I can't speak to the details of a particular brand or package. Turnkey, all covered by warranties and insurance from day 1. No, down time for labor. Just get in and go wheeling. Very nice.

I did something like this for my hunting dogs. I am not a professional trainer and at the time, worked long hours and I live in the burbs of L.A.. So, training a hunting dog is not an insignificant task. I had the resources to buy turnkey pointing dogs and bought 2 that way. They aren't cheap and the DIY crowd always seem to poo-poo getting a dog that way. I see some parallels.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
@JEEP392 Needs to weigh in here. He just had his rig outfitted by AEV and it’s a beaut.

I’m running their Dualsport 2.5” lift on the JLUR and it’s been phenomenal.

That said, I agree with their equipment being overpriced. I looked at their bumper/fuel caddy setup but couldn’t bring myself to pull the trigger.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I thought maybe there was a motor swap involved, but as someone else said you're not getting much bang for your buck. All bolt on parts from what I can see, many over priced. And they mention TPMS like it's something you don't already get on every Wrangler.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I actually sucked at it less than a year ago. Then decided to man up and do things myself on a car, starting with my Jeep.

First, easier than I tought. Second, the satisfaction you get from fixing your own rig is second to none. Third, it costs a fraction of the price simply because you are your own labour.

You're totally right. Learn to fix your rig, folks: it's money in your pocket.
Yeah I am talking from experience. i could barely turn a wrench 3 years ago. I still installed my bumpers, sliders and winch. Then I went to do suspension and it was pretty hard for me at the time. Now I have done a bunch of stuff, reinstalled bumpers, front locker, suspension work, arms. I am much more comfortable now and faster at it. Bumpers are so easy even when I was terrible at it I did it. Thats why I am saying I cant believe perfectly capable folks are paying for that. But their money their choice! Not judging really. And definitely not making fun or hating people jeez. Just mostly surprised.

Honestly I see minor wrenching and maintenance as part of the sport. It just happens out of need. Not only you save a ton of money, but there are always projects sitting in my garage or something that needs fixed from hard wheeling. So I rather spend 2~4hrs messing with the jeep than constantly scheduling time with the mechanic and taking it there. Honestly, it even saves me time.

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Yeah I am talking from experience. i could barely turn a wrench 3 years ago. I still installed my bumpers, sliders and winch. Then I went to do suspension and it was pretty hard for me at the time. Now I have done a bunch of stuff, reinstalled bumpers, front locker, suspension work, arms. I am much more comfortable now and faster at it. Bumpers are so easy even when I was terrible at it I did it. Thats why I am saying I cant believe perfectly capable folks are paying for that. But their money their choice! Not judging really. And definitely not making fun or hating people jeez. Just mostly surprised.

Honestly I see minor wrenching and maintenance as part of the sport. It just happens out of need. Not only you save a ton of money, but there are always projects sitting in my garage or something that needs fixed from hard wheeling. So I rather spend 2~4hrs messing with the jeep than constantly scheduling time with the mechanic and taking it there. Honestly, it even saves me time.
Other bonus: it's your rig. So you know you'll pay attention to how things are done on it.

Will the mechanic do it properly? 99 % of the time, yes. Because they actually really care. But what if you hit the 1 % of the time when they don't really want to bother or be there?

You want a job well done? Do it yourself.
Sponsored