Sponsored

My admittedly weak justification for buying a Jeep...

OP
OP
daveprice7

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
A Gladiator would have been better justified given the need to haul wood
I honestly looked at em, but there's no way it would be able to maneuver through my trees. I was barely able to sneak through with the 2dr+hitch basket. I think even a 4dr wouldn't be able to turn tight enough.
Sponsored

OP
OP
daveprice7

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
Youre gonna be at it a long time , if youre only bringing up 5 pieces at a time. Then you have to split it ? :facepalm:
Hah, yeah, this was a proof of concept. I think I'm gonna let things dry up this summer, then pull the back seat out and load the tub up. I wasn't gonna load up hundreds of pounds going uphill in the mud with all terrains, that's for sure!

OP
OP
daveprice7

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
Tires and a winch too as I can definitely see you getting stuck in that mud. You still have work left to do.
It was touch and go in a couple places, for sure. I'll be holding off until this summer to do the rest so I don't trash my trail. I really should have waited until I figured out my winch situation, but yaknow, sometimes you just jump without knowing how deep it is! I did have chains and a pile of gravel nearish if it got ugly.

Sponsored

ptoemmes

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys “Edition” TBD Mar 2021
It was touch and go in a couple places, for sure. I'll be holding off until this summer to do the rest so I don't trash my trail. I really should have waited until I figured out my winch situation, but yaknow, sometimes you just jump without knowing how deep it is! I did have chains and a pile of gravel nearish if it got ugly.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
In all honesty you probably saved some coin vs buying a side by side. those things are stupid expensive these days.
My JT was going places that my in-law’s side-by-side was struggling to get to on their tree farm

OP
OP
daveprice7

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
I can’t imagine living somewhere that looks like that, just looks amazing.
I was a city dweller for over 35 years... Sometimes you just have to cut bait and go for it! We found a cheap patch of dirt 20 minutes from town and started building!

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
start convincing your wife to buy a winch, because the day you get stuck. she will tongue lash you saying " i thought buying a jeep will keep you from getting stuck". oh, btw, she not going to help you in pulling the jeep out.

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Justification? After spending 30 years of driving cheap high mpg cars due to raising 3 kids and commuting a long distance in addition to giving up my restored convertible years back...she agreed I needed a Wrangler when I mentioned buying one. She did think I'd be buying a mustang convertible once they kids were gone.
@dsgrey ... Yep! After 35 years of driving "practical" cars, my wife told me to buy myself a "midlife crisis car." She thought I would buy a Mustang convertible or a Porsche. Nope, I've wanted a Jeep since my 20s when I carpooled with a friend who had a CJ.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Ha! I usually make up a story and once I have what I want.... well lets just say I have excuses.

I'm glad to see you didn't put that dirty wood in the nice new jeep.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Never said a word to the wife, she knew i was looking to dump off my CRV. One day I just came home with a new jeep. She’s used to me doing what I want anyway, so no issue. She did comment that it was the first vehicle I bought that was “me” but why didn’t I get a red one ?

For my replacement buyback jeep I got red to keep her pleased.

Last edited:

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t imagine living somewhere that looks like that, just looks amazing.
I agree Jennalee, I’ve lived in NYC my whole life. I envy the folks who can go on those beautiful trails and mountains. For me to go trailing I’d have to drive to Pennsylvania.