Jumping battery if alone?

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I still need to test it. We will be taking out both of 3.6 with auxiliary battery + the 392 camping so the possibility of needing it on the V6 is certainly likely.
Keep us posted!
Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
@Levin_tom
and can separate out the two batteries, that you will not be able to jump pack start a 3.6 whose 2 batteries are depleted..
Carry an adjustable wrench with you so you can disconnect the negative cable for the small battery and then use the jump pack. From reading some threads here I wonder if the small battery isn't normally the problem anyway. The one caveat is that you have to have a 2019 or later or a flashed 2018, or an appropriate jumper to use in the fuse block.

Yann

First Name
Yann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My new JLUR less than 1 year on 5kkm, couldn't start in outside parking lot under -15C 2 weeks ago, my collage try to jump start it using his truck, not work after coupe of tries, I give up, unhook the cable, did last try before went back to building, it starts. last week under -20c, happened again, spent 2hrs trying everything not work, including disconnect negtive terminal, boost aux battery only, collage drive me home, next day noon when temp is -4c, it starts. I booked a appointment to visit my dealer next day, I told them most likely it's battery issue, after 2-3 rhs, tech said battery is good, he find cluth sensor corrosion and clean it, job done. I ask him if check both main & aux batteries? guess what? he don't even know there is second one! but he promiss problem solved because code said "cluth A-B switch milfunction...", It start cold again yesterday, -21 to -30c, I am not surprised I stuck on parking lot again, call roadside service, after waiting 1-1/2 hrs, tow truck coming, driver try to jump start using 2 huge jump boosters not working, he is the best guy with initiative, he suggest to push my truck to try push start, but it is too heavy to get enough speed, luckly I just bought a tow rope, he tow me to do pop start, we try 3 times but not really successful, he hop in jeep, push the start button, his magic finger make it start to crank /w struggling! finlly I went home. My dealer know this tory this morning, ask me to check if it can start, stay in my grage overnight, it start @ 2nd try, I drive to dealer, they OBD right away, same "cluth A-B switch ..." again, but they promise to check both batteries this time, let wait for Monday to see what's the result.

anyone know a proven solution to jump start JLUR 3.6L manual? does it working for a trong jump pack by hooking up to N1 & disconnected negative terminal? Appreciate !

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
My new JLUR less than 1 year on 5kkm, couldn't start in outside parking lot under -15C 2 weeks ago, my collage try to jump start it using his truck, not work after coupe of tries, I give up, unhook the cable, did last try before went back to building, it starts. last week under -20c, happened again, spent 2hrs trying everything not work, including disconnect negtive terminal, boost aux battery only, collage drive me home, next day noon when temp is -4c, it starts. I booked a appointment to visit my dealer next day, I told them most likely it's battery issue, after 2-3 rhs, tech said battery is good, he find cluth sensor corrosion and clean it, job done. I ask him if check both main & aux batteries? guess what? he don't even know there is second one! but he promiss problem solved because code said "cluth A-B switch milfunction...", It start cold again yesterday, -21 to -30c, I am not surprised I stuck on parking lot again, call roadside service, after waiting 1-1/2 hrs, tow truck coming, driver try to jump start using 2 huge jump boosters not working, he is the best guy with initiative, he suggest to push my truck to try push start, but it is too heavy to get enough speed, luckly I just bought a tow rope, he tow me to do pop start, we try 3 times but not really successful, he hop in jeep, push the start button, his magic finger make it start to crank /w struggling! finlly I went home. My dealer know this tory this morning, ask me to check if it can start, stay in my grage overnight, it start @ 2nd try, I drive to dealer, they OBD right away, same "cluth A-B switch ..." again, but they promise to check both batteries this time, let wait for Monday to see what's the result.

anyone know a proven solution to jump start JLUR 3.6L manual? does it working for a trong jump pack by hooking up to N1 & disconnected negative terminal? Appreciate !
@Yann

Try using quality jumper cables... Hook the jumper cables up to a 12v donor vehicle that is running. Hook up the cables between his vehicles Main battery Pos and Neg terminals to your JL's Maion battery Pos and Neg terminals.. Now leave the two connected together for say 15 minutes. Be sure to leave the donor vehicle running. Now, after 15v min. try to start the JL. IF you push the button and there is a delay, be sure to within a few seconds of the first start button push to push the start button again.

IF, if you have both a Main and Aux battery and the Aux is depleted the JL will not start on the first button push but will start on the second button push, (some 2018 JL's will not do this)

Yann

First Name
Yann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
@Yann

Try using quality jumper cables... Hook the jumper cables up to a 12v donor vehicle that is running. Hook up the cables between his vehicles Main battery Pos and Neg terminals to your JL's Maion battery Pos and Neg terminals.. Now leave the two connected together for say 15 minutes. Be sure to leave the donor vehicle running. Now, after 15v min. try to start the JL. IF you push the button and there is a delay, be sure to within a few seconds of the first start button push to push the start button again.

IF, if you have both a Main and Aux battery and the Aux is depleted the JL will not start on the first button push but will start on the second button push, (some 2018 JL's will not do this)

Thx. never know this second push trick, will try it next. mentioned quality jumper cable, I use the one rated 200A which I thought big enough?

Sponsored

Yann

First Name
Yann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
waiting 15 mins outside in winter is painful, any jumper pack & connection trick can work immediately? That what I am looking for... Frankly, this extra aux battery thing make me nervous, I need a solution to prevent it happen again to me even the dealer change the battery this time.

Yann

First Name
Yann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Any one have dealer working experience? does dealer will get profit from this kind of warranty fix? why I fill dealer is trying to not replace the significant weak battery? it will cost dealer or manufacturer?

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Thx. never know this second push trick, will try it next. mentioned quality jumper cable, I use the one rated 200A which I thought big enough?
Jumper cables are more a matter of getting sufficient contact with the clamps. If you can get good contact then you can usually start immediately. If you can't then the 15 minutes gives time for your dead battery to pick up a little bit of charge.

The second push has to do with the programming of the JL, and a 2018 with original programming will act differently from all the rest. Programming after 2018 will have the small battery checked on the first button push, if the small battery isn't sufficient then it won't start, but push it a second time and it doesn't check the small battery, it just starts.

There are numerous ways to eliminate the small battery, and the how to do it also depends somewhat on if you have a 2018 on its original programming. And some of them would not be suitable if you are still under warranty.

If you are interested in going further then you have to tell us more information such as budget, which vehicle, etc.

Yann

First Name
Yann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Jumper cables are more a matter of getting sufficient contact with the clamps. If you can get good contact then you can usually start immediately. If you can't then the 15 minutes gives time for your dead battery to pick up a little bit of charge.

The second push has to do with the programming of the JL, and a 2018 with original programming will act differently from all the rest. Programming after 2018 will have the small battery checked on the first button push, if the small battery isn't sufficient then it won't start, but push it a second time and it doesn't check the small battery, it just starts.

There are numerous ways to eliminate the small battery, and the how to do it also depends somewhat on if you have a 2018 on its original programming. And some of them would not be suitable if you are still under warranty.

If you are interested in going further then you have to tell us more information such as budget, which vehicle, etc.
thx for more detail, it seems not work in my case, I just recall that I tried couple of time every time it not start...

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
I've been reading through all these threads preparing for the inevitable day when my Jeep doesn't start due to the batteries.

From what I've read, it's possible to jump start a newer than 2018 JL with a dead aux battery with a jump pack, but you need to "separate out the two batteries". Is removing the aux battery's negative cable all it takes, or does fuse F42 need to be pulled (or the N1/N2 jumper installed) as well?

Also, I just want to make sure, is this the negative cable for the aux battery?

Jeep Wrangler JL Jumping battery if alone? negative-lead

Finally, is it possible to reconnect the aux battery while the Jeep is running?

Thanks

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
I've been reading through all these threads preparing for the inevitable day when my Jeep doesn't start due to the batteries.

From what I've read, it's possible to jump start a newer than 2018 JL with a dead aux battery with a jump pack, but you need to "separate out the two batteries". Is removing the aux battery's negative cable all it takes, or does fuse F42 need to be pulled (or the N1/N2 jumper installed) as well?

Also, I just want to make sure, is this the negative cable for the aux battery?

Jeep Wrangler JL Jumping battery if alone? negative-lead

Finally, is it possible to reconnect the aux battery while the Jeep is running?

Thanks
I jumped my 2019 3.6 twice with a portable jump starter, no aux disconnection required. Both batteries tested bad and were replaced quickly, but I'm not sure if I can guarantee a jump pack will work every time in all situations. It worked on mine when I needed it... Audew branded 1500A pack.
Sponsored