Jumping battery if alone?

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I've got this one. 800a peak current. Claims it'll jump a 7.0l has or 5.5l diesel.

I've jumped my Sonata 4 or 5 times from full charge and it's only at 90%. Hit the boost button and it fires right up without hesitation. Without the boost it takes a bit longer.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jumping battery if alone? Screenshot_20210419-220214_Amazon Shoppin
Sponsored

dennis2society

First Name
dennis2society
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys - SOT - Etorque V6
Occupation
Procrastinator

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Can you clarify what you mean by "set the red on the first post of the ess"
I believe he means you connect the positive lead of the jump pack to post #1 inside the fuse box.

There are multiple threads here and very many messages discussing the specifics of the wiring of the small battery in the system. If post #1 is the correct one then I'm guessing that it is the post that connects to the positive terminal of the small battery. I've read all of that in the past and I'm still not sure why that would work but there are people on the forum that can explain it. There is a difference in the software of the 2018 JL and the 2019 and later- you can remove the little battery from a 2019 and later and everything but ESS still works, but you can't do that with a 2018 with original software.

I've got this one. 800a peak current. Claims it'll jump a 7.0l has or 5.5l diesel.
I've watched a lot of tests and this particular model seems to be a good one, there are plenty on the market that aren't reliable. I may yet buy one for my own use.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I've watched a lot of tests and this particular model seems to be a good one, there are plenty on the market that aren't reliable. I may yet buy one for my own use.
I put it on my Amazon shopping list and watched the price. Picked it up in November when it was $49. Was worth a shot at that price, and at worst it would be a massive power pack for phones and tablets.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I’ve been using this charge less 10 year jump starter for over a year now. I like that I never have to charge it. The way it works is it collects whatever juice is left in your battery and uses that to jump start your battery https://amzn.to/3tAEGnh
Jeep Wrangler JL Jumping battery if alone? 376B0EDC-1D6F-46B8-90DE-F7508031BDC5

Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
This is interesting. I had bought one of these packs for our recent extended camping trip just in case but never needed it. Now I want to run the battery dead and test to see if it would even work.

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
This is interesting. I had bought one of these packs for our recent extended camping trip just in case but never needed it. Now I want to run the battery dead and test to see if it would even work.
Did you ever test it?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I haven’t but I will when I get my 392 next week.

@alksion

392 does not have Aux battery.... a decent jump pack should be able to do the deed with it's single battery.

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
@alksion

392 does not have Aux battery.... a decent jump pack should be able to do the deed with it's single battery.
I agree that any decent jump pack will start the single battery on the 392. I have the 3.6 with aux battery. I always carry jumpers with me but sometimes I camp out alone and wanted a solution. Any suggestions @Rhinebeck01? Has anyone successfully started battery+aux with a jump pack?

Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I agree that any decent jump pack will start the single battery on the 392. I have the 3.6 with aux battery. I always carry jumpers with me but sometimes I camp out alone and wanted a solution. Any suggestions @Rhinebeck01? Has anyone successfully started battery+aux with a jump pack?
I still need to test it. We will be taking out both of 3.6 with auxiliary battery + the 392 camping so the possibility of needing it on the V6 is certainly likely.

Last edited:

Black96z

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Machinist, Applications Engineer
One of the best channels on Youtube!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Levin_tom

Over the last 3 years, in maybe 4 or 5 different posts, guys said they were able to jump start their 3.6 JL with a jump pack....

Sure, never say never but most here that really have a clue and are not spewing crapola.... that are real familiar with the 3.6 JL /. 3.6 dual battery system will tell you that unless you know what you are doing and can separate out the two batteries, that you will not be able to jump pack start a 3.6 whose 2 batteries are depleted..

YES, with good old quality battery cables and a decent 12v donor vehicle you can do the deed.... and again you need to know how... Hook up jumper cables to a running donor, wait say 10 mins. and then start the 3.6 JL with the battery(2) depletion issue..

For the guy that goes out camping..... far away from other vehicles and thus no way to use battery jumper cables... well, that 3.6 owner should learn how to separate out the batteries and carry a decent jump pack.. Separate out the batteries and the jump pack WILL do the deed for you. tops.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Push the button …lol

Sorry could not resist, yes I have been stuck but my full size aux is primarily a boost as I only have a few things connected to it that don’t pull power full time so when I have ran down my main crank battery more than once I just push a button

Jeep Wrangler JL Jumping battery if alone? 54EF4020-C071-4934-9614-2A0DBF63F0FA

but I also carry this cause my OCD makes me over think everything, have tested it more than once and it fires right up, had NOCO but sent it back because the NOCO was a NOGO 😆

https://m.audew.com/Audew-2000A-Pea...-Engines-with-LCD-Power-Display-p-100058.html

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I still need to test it. We will be taking out both of 3.6 with auxiliary battery + the 392 camping so the possibility of needing it on the V6 is certainly likely.
Keep us posted!
Sponsored