JLUS Build Advice needed

zjwilliams

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
I've got a 18 JLU Sahara. I've had it for about 6 months now and the itch is coming to get it looking bad ass and take it on some trails.

It is my daily and being in Florida there aren't many places to get it really rocking but I like the look of a 2-2.5" lift that I have seen on other threads. I have been told by others that anything higher than a 2" lift you should look at replacing the Upper and lower control arms. Any one hear something different or in their experience have done anything different?

This is my first Jeep and I have some knowledge of cars but not alot so I rely on looking at these threads to help out so I don't do something stupid on a build or walk into a garage and get told to purchase unnecessary parts for a build.
Sponsored

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’d make that threshold “anything over 3 inches in lift.”

2 to 2.5 inches is the most popular zone for Wrangler lifts. The AEV DualSport, ARB, Mopar, Teraflex, are all in this category.

In fact, I remember the 2” Mopar lift on my JK netted closer to 3 inches in lift. But it came with a longer front drive shaft to accommodate the steeper angle.

Good luck.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

check out northrigid4x4.. you do not need LCA but if you do not add adjustable then you will be stuck using the caster cam washers. Ive heard and see good things with mopar lift but for a couple hundred bucks more you can go JKS or Rock crawler and get all the LCA's with the kit.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
You don’t need a complete lift with these newer jeeps. You can go a 2.5 spacer lift and fit 35’s and do some pretty difficult trails. I’m not saying a trail rated black or above but I’ve done some pretty decent blue trails on a RC 2.5” spacer lift and the correct length shocks with no issues. Didn’t even have to adjust anything after the lift. Check out Raush creek reviews and you will see a lot of their blue trails should probably be a blue/black if not a full on black.

6F0A1BBE-9A5B-4AE2-8ABB-BCB874F4C468.jpeg

0EFAFB19-AA45-46EC-9C03-ADA89113D4F3.jpeg

89BA3125-C739-427D-AC2B-D08AC28A3C90.jpeg

7ED56EA2-1147-482B-B61F-E3ABD0C2EBDB.jpeg

OP
OP

zjwilliams

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
check out northrigid4x4.. you do not need LCA but if you do not add adjustable then you will be stuck using the caster cam washers. Ive heard and see good things with mopar lift but for a couple hundred bucks more you can go JKS or Rock crawler and get all the LCA's with the kit.
Sooo from my understanding its better to get an adjustable control arm or a kit that includes control arms as opposed to leaving them as they are due to the stress that the new lift will put on the joints?

Sponsored

OP
OP

zjwilliams

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
I’d make that threshold “anything over 3 inches in lift.”

2 to 2.5 inches is the most popular zone for Wrangler lifts. The AEV DualSport, ARB, Mopar, Teraflex, are all in this category.

In fact, I remember the 2” Mopar lift on my JK netted closer to 3 inches in lift. But it came with a longer front drive shaft to accommodate the steeper angle.

Good luck.
The more I look at kits the more I want to do a complete kit, without spacers. I feel like a Mopar kit or a Rock Krawler kit are probably best what I am looking for but do come with a decent price tag.

Did you install your mopar lift yourself or did you have a garage or dealership do it for you?

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
Very timely. Check out this video to see some different kits to get more information.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Sooo from my understanding its better to get an adjustable control arm or a kit that includes control arms as opposed to leaving them as they are due to the stress that the new lift will put on the joints?
In my opinion, it's well worth the investment in a kit that includes the minimal parts needed to recenter axles and to fine tune the front axles caster/pinion angle. Depending on the manufacturer, you want either upper or lower front adjustable control arms, an adjustable front track bar, and either an adjustable rear track bar or an axle side track bar relocation bracket.

The more I look at kits the more I want to do a complete kit, without spacers. I feel like a Mopar kit or a Rock Krawler kit are probably best what I am looking for but do come with a decent price tag.

Did you install your mopar lift yourself or did you have a garage or dealership do it for you?
The Mopar kit is incomplete, and after you add whats missing, you'd be at the price range of an all inclusive and higher quality alternative.

Rock Krawler is a great brand to look at. Also, Metalcloak is another great one. I'm more familiar with the latter, so an example of a solid foundation lift kit would be their 2.5" True Dual Rate lift. The optional Rocksport shocks offer a lot of bang for the buck, and are specifically designed and tuned to the springs. The optional front drive shaft is recommended if you plan on really flexing out your jeep. I know Rock Krawler offers similar setups, but I'm not familiar with much more than their top notch reputation.

Also, the aftermarket arms and bars are way stronger and have higher quality bushings than the factory stuff. With the added leverage that comes with larger tires and ride height, you'll find that the overall ride and handling will become more solid and planted feeling with stronger connecting components.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

it gives you more adjustability for caster. the washers can slip after being tightened down which in turn can through off alignment/caster angles. now an adjustable arm once its been aligned and caster is set you tighten down the jam nut your pretty good for along time. my thoughts where if i ever choose to go from my 2.5" spring set to a 3.5" all i need to do is install shocks, springs and adjust my control arms. cheap and easy for a bigger lift if i ever choose to.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Installing a lift is beyond my pay grade. :CWL:

My local Jeep dealer is offering the 2-inch Mopar lift for $2,000, installed. When you think that the lift itself is about $1,400, the dealer is offering the install for $600. That is pretty tempting. I may stop by later today to find out more.

TrailRecon just uploaded a video comparing six lifts, ranging in price from $1,100 all the way to $4,500, on six bone-stock JLURs:
  1. Dynatrac 2.0
  2. Icon 2.5 Stage 1
  3. AEV 2.5 DualSport
  4. Teraflex 3.5 inch
  5. Rock Krawler
  6. RockJock 4.0 inch with front and rear Antirock sway bars
He will be assessing them on four criteria and 1 overall winner:
  1. Ease of installation - best 2
  2. On-road performance - best 2
  3. Off-road performance - best 2
  4. Value for money - best 2
  5. Overall winner
On Part 1 he covers prices, ease of installation, and the lift and articulation numbers --see video at the bottom.

Ironically, the 2.5-inch Icon lift provides the 2nd greatest lift --see screen shot below.
Jeep Wrangler JL JLUS Build Advice needed 1607704182036

Also, I was surprised that the RockJock with Antirock front and rear swaybars do not offer the greatest articulation. And 2-inch Icon lift provides also the 2nd greatest articulation --see below.
Jeep Wrangler JL JLUS Build Advice needed 1607704953858

However, he already says towards the end of Part 1 that the overall winner, to be announced on Part 2, is not the lift with the greatest lift or articulation.

More to come.

Last edited:

Sponsored

UFO45

First Name
Colter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
This is a great video showing what's involved with a bunch of different lift kits. Has some graphs showing what the resulting lift actually was (3.5" lift doesn't always equate to a higher actual lift than a 2.5"). The video goes into detail about what is involved with the installs as well.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Hey ZJWilliams... I guess it all depends on your budget...

Rough Country has a 2.5'' spacer kit for $250 and a 2.5'' spring / shocks for $450 (this is the one I have.. it rides rougher than stock because the change of caster, etc. but it is quite capable on the trails for a $450 kit.. I much rather spend $250 more and go with this kit than the spacer one)...

If money is not an issue.... then you have quite a few options as described on this thread... so if money is not an issue then you should go with a proper kit with adjustable arms and trackbars..

just my 2 old rusty cents.. :)

OP
OP

zjwilliams

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
The garage I am in talks with quoted me with a Zone lift at 2.5". No spacers, new adjustable control arms. I heard these lifts were very rough riding on the TJ's but from what I am seeing rides pretty smooth on a JL.
Sponsored