Sponsored

Sahara build advice

JCatherine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I have a basic Sahara model, but want to be add a little more capability to do up moderate off-roading. I changed the tires and rims to rubi take offs for a better off-road footprint. I am going to add a JKS sway bar disconnect to be able to keep the tires on the ground

I have so many other wants on my list, so I was hoping for some advice.

I have no desire to do the Rubicon trail, but want a capable vehicle to really go off the beaten path. Should I add LSD? Lockers? Lift? Axle upgrade? Or is my Jeep ready for everything I want to do already?

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCatherine

JCatherine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Update... put in JKS sway bar disconnects. Looking at the 1.5” teraflex spacer kit and hoping for Detroit trutrac to come out for JL model. I think this will make the final main changes then some armor. Now just need the aftermarket to catch up.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
Update... put in JKS sway bar disconnects. Looking at the 1.5” teraflex spacer kit and hoping for Detroit trutrac to come out for JL model. I think this will make the final main changes then some armor. Now just need the aftermarket to catch up.
I doubt you would have to have the lockers

OP
OP
JCatherine

JCatherine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I’m hoping for the trutrac LSD. Mine doesn’t have the upgrade package that included the rear limited slip.

Last edited:

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
I have a basic Sahara model, but want to be add a little more capability to do up moderate off-roading. I changed the tires and rims to rubi take offs for a better off-road footprint.
Congrats on the Sahara! When you got this far into your post, you had moderate off road covered. Sahara, Sport and so on are all very very capable (moderate +) with a simple tire change. You got that now!
If you want the lift, sway bar disco and so on, that is awesome! Spend your money on what makes you happy and f#$% what anyone else says. As for moderate off roading you were good at better tires :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
JCatherine

JCatherine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on the Sahara! When you got this far into your post, you had moderate off road covered. Sahara, Sport and so on are all very very capable (moderate +) with a simple tire change. You got that now!
If you want the lift, sway bar disco and so on, that is awesome! Spend your money on what makes you happy and f#$% what anyone else says. As for moderate off roading you were good at better tires :)
Nice! Thanks

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I have a basic Sahara model, but want to be add a little more capability to do up moderate off-roading. I changed the tires and rims to rubi take offs for a better off-road footprint. I am going to add a JKS sway bar disconnect to be able to keep the tires on the ground

I have so many other wants on my list, so I was hoping for some advice.

I have no desire to do the Rubicon trail, but want a capable vehicle to really go off the beaten path. Should I add LSD? Lockers? Lift? Axle upgrade? Or is my Jeep ready for everything I want to do already?

Thanks
This question is not my niche. But if I shared your interest I might look at the features of another Sahara (he says tongue in cheek) that FCA built with offroading in mind: the recently announced Moab.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Also! Can’t tell you how many times i have watched and rewatched this video. Funny to me it only has like 49k views. This video is also part of the reason why i wanted a wrangler for a while.

Stock JK guy only changed the tires to some semi-at-best all terrain tires (far from the ko2s you put on) and is for real doing things that would make most of us say oh hell no! And or pee the front seats. Take the 5 mins and see how bad a$$ fu%$s the Wrangler is even at base - with some better tires lol!

OP
OP
JCatherine

JCatherine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Great video. :clap: And your right... I’d be hugging the grab handles in some of the spots. I’m good now.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

Sponsored

OP
OP
JCatherine

JCatherine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the ideas. It looks like the Moab build is very close to what I am hoping to end up with.

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
Totally agree. My Sahara came with the LSD option which included AT tires. The tires are Bridgestone Dueler AT RH-S's which certainly aren't the best on the market, but are capable enough for light to moderate off-road use. That said, I'm going to be swapping them out, frankly more for a better look than anything else. :)

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
Also! Can’t tell you how many times i have watched and rewatched this video. Funny to me it only has like 49k views. This video is also part of the reason why i wanted a wrangler for a while.

Stock JK guy only changed the tires to some semi-at-best all terrain tires (far from the ko2s you put on) and is for real doing things that would make most of us say oh hell no! And or pee the front seats. Take the 5 mins and see how bad a$$ fu%$s the Wrangler is even at base - with some better tires lol!
Great video! Thanks for the link!

You know that Jeep is destined to end up on a used car lot a few years from now (waxed and buffed) with the story attached to it that it was owned by a little old lady who only drove it back and forth to church on Sundays! :cwl:

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
Totally agree. My Sahara came with the LSD option which included AT tires. The tires are Bridgestone Dueler AT RH-S's which certainly aren't the best on the market, but are capable enough for light to moderate off-road use. That said, I'm going to be swapping them out, frankly more for a better look than anything else. :)
I totally with you on that comment. I have the same Sahara Blue with LSD and the AT tires. I took the jeep on a trail in the Shenandoah's and she performed just fine. There were off shoot trail where I would have wanted skid plates, lift, bigger tires etc. but a stock Sahara can be a whole lot of fun within reason. Mentally, I just can't get there to take a +$40K car into terrain more difficult than my stock Sahara.

OP
OP
JCatherine

JCatherine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I totally with you on that comment. I have the same Sahara Blue with LSD and the AT tires. I took the jeep on a trail in the Shenandoah's and she performed just fine. There were off shoot trail where I would have wanted skid plates, lift, bigger tires etc. but a stock Sahara can be a whole lot of fun within reason. Mentally, I just can't get there to take a +$40K car into terrain more difficult than my stock Sahara.
I agree! Plus looks like I’m staying at new tires and disconnects maybe a baby lift compatible with stock shocks. Eaton not producing the trutrac for the JL yet and won’t release publicly any plans to do so.

I’m good to go, thanks to everyone’s comments. Two trips planned and locked in, plus a recovery class.
Sponsored