Sponsored

Advice Needed - Trade Rubicon (family growing)?

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
I have some E rated duratracs and they aren't too bad. My 2 year old falls right asleep in the car seat with my 2.5" inch budget lift and 35s.

PSX_20190703_171958.jpg
Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Honestly, as bad as this sounds - I'm just not excited to drive a Grand Cherokee or Durango. I've been getting pricing on the Grand Cherokee SRT - and I still think my JLUR is cooler. Issue too is how insanely expensive they are for what you're getting.
Trust me, I get it. If your only going to have one family vehicle with two babies in two rear facing seats, you’ll need to make compromises until they get a little older.

If you’re set on the JLUR then you compromise space.

If you get a Grand Cherokee/Durango for the space, then you compromise having a cool vehicle for a few years.

Either way, remember it’s only a few years, not forever.

suzookus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
If you get a Grand Cherokee/Durango for the space, then you compromise having a cool vehicle for a few years.
I think the Rubicon has a tiny bit more cargo space and GC has a couple inches shoulder space in the back but that’s it.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I think the Rubicon has a tiny bit more cargo space and GC has a couple inches shoulder space in the back but that’s it.
I agree that the GC is small for what it is, which is why I recommended he look at the Durango.

Sponsored

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Honestly, if more space is needed - I might recommend a Highlander or maybe the new Passport, Pilot derivative.

Or perhaps wait for the bigger Land Rover Defender 110. It’ll be independently sprung, with an air bag option.

I agree with the other posters, SRT is a lot of cash for a vehicle that’s absurdly over powered, yet still a regular GC.

If family takes the front seat, so to speak, there other options but they are still a bit out like the next gen 4Runner and the Bronco.

Last edited:

garfieldtcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
Too late now I guess but why did you ditch the Borah’s if you kept the jeep? You could have just changed the tires. KO2’s would have been in spec for those wheels and you could have kept the look you wanted :whatsgoingon:

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Don’t do it. We thought that too but then it happened in our van. Littles go through a car sick phase and grow out of it. My oldest is out my youngest should be soon as it happens with a lot less frequency now.

Good luck!
Exactly. Our girls went through a phase when they would puke every drive longer than 45 minutes in our loaded touring Honda Odyssey. That thing was about as smooth a ride as was ever made. Didn't matter. It's likely less about the 35 inches, more about the 18 months...

JLA_Mo

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Granite)
I have an 18' JLU Rubicon, manual transmission, with a 5yo and 2yo. I got it when the little one was 9months old. I have a hard top and that is the only thing the kids complain about, they prefer the top on. As far as space, I just came back from the beach with 2 bikes on a bike rack, body board, 2 scooters, 2 coolers, suitcases for all 4 of us, and tons of other gear. We made it all fit. The JL also has a lot of great space under the back seat and the floor beneath the kids feet that they don't need. If you love the car, keep it, the puking is probably unrelated. If you really want more space, go with the Highlander, Pilot, or Yukon. My old Grand Cherokee felt smaller than my JL.

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
On the contrary, my 6 month old loves it. Not that he knows whats going on, but he's either napping once we get inside, or he's staring out the window enjoying the view. ;)

Sponsored

bamchenry

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, '18 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Not for nothing, but my stock JLUR has a much nicer ride than my previous VW R32. Also has the most rear seat legroom of any car we’ve owned. Helpful when your sons are 5’9” and 6’1” and growing.

Change your tires and maybe wheels. Also: every kid is different.

silver

First Name
Jeannie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver JLUR
Need some advice. My wife and I live in NYC where we can only keep 1 car. That 1 car has been a 2019 JLU Rubicon. Black on black, every option available except the painted top. I'm running 35 inch KM3s on AEV wheels, Teraflex tire carrier. Some small things here and there.

Long story short, when we do drive it's longer distances. Only have 3K miles on the odometer. Problem is the ride is so rough, my 18 month old almost always throws up in the car - meanwhile our second baby is due in 2 months.

Is it the KM3s that the ride is so rough? I'm in final stages of a potential Grand Cherokee swap - just so not excited to be driving a Grand Cherokee like everyone else. Looked at an SRT but lease on it still ended up being over $1K. Can't justify that much for a Jeep.

Hate to get rid of the Rubi, wondering if I fork over more for KO2s if ride will improve or if should just get into a Grand Cherokee.

If your tikes are getting sick, it may be better to lose the dream for a bit and scale down. I hate to say it, because we finally just got our Jeep, but your kids do come first. You can pick it up again when they are older and can enjoy the ride.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

have you tried running the tire PSI to about 31 cold? this will improve the ride greatly

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
E rated tires on a light duty half ton will rarely ride soft.

Reabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara unlimited 2018
I have the solution. Let's swap Jeep... I have Sahara with AT adventures, super smooth. Or let's swap suspensions and tires!
Sponsored