JLUR Won't Start

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR, 2019 Ram Rebel Crew, 2019 HD FLTRXS, 2018 HD FLFBS ANV
Actually, won't turn over. It hasn't started in 3 weeks or so, stored in my garage. Battery is fully charged. Push the start stop button everything lights up normally. Push it to start and there's a short click like the starter tried to move, and everything, headlights, dash lights, uconnect, go black. I'm guessing a loose positive or negative cable somewhere and I don't have time to check them today, but thought I would post this in case anyone had a similar experience and what their issue was.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Actually, won't turn over. It hasn't started in 3 weeks or so, stored in my garage. Battery is fully charged. Push the start stop button everything lights up normally. Push it to start and there's a short click like the starter tried to move, and everything, headlights, dash lights, uconnect, go black. I'm guessing a loose positive or negative cable somewhere and I don't have time to check them today, but thought I would post this in case anyone had a similar experience and what their issue was.
@cnyjl

Explain to me the part about "Battery is fully charged" .... Was your JL on a trickle charger, over the last 3 weeks while the vehicle sat unused?

Did you use a trickle charger, say last night to fully charge both your Main and Aux batteries.

The issue you are having is lets say, the posted child of a JL with depleted battery(s)... Your comment click and go black is typical with depleted ...

Anyway, attach a trickle charger to the positive and negative terminals of the Main battery and allow the trickle charger to charge the two batteries until the trickle charger indicates charging process is complete. (this may take 12-16 hrs.) After fully charging, now start the JL.

Note: Attaching the trickle charger cables to the Main battery will also get 12v charge down to the depleted Aux battery.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
If you use a smart charger like the Deltran Tender Plus if the battery is less than 3 volts it won’t charge, I know several will say it’s not necessary but I put my JL on a trickle charger once a month and it usually 10-12 hrs and it’s done, I figure since I own the trickle charger why not and with the quick connect makes it really easy and the tender can detect a possible issue as it it won’t charge then I kinda know I have a battery issue

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
3 weeks of not starting a car should not kill it. This is assuming no light or anything draining it. Could it be a bad battery. Maybe. Did you check fuses?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 weeks of not starting a car should not kill it. This is assuming no light or anything draining it. Could it be a bad battery. Maybe. Did you check fuses?
@Twistedfab

:CWL: You sure about that....

Suggest you read your 2019 JL Owner's Manual and what it tells you to do, if your JL is not going to be used for... I think it is 21 days, if I remember correctly.

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
If your main batt is charged past 12 volts, it is likely a discharged aux battery or a problem with smart charging IBS sensor. A fault here will prevent a start from occurring. You can try jumping to terminal N1 in fuse box ( pos jumper on N1 neg to ground)

Likely there might be an issue with aux battery. Remember to disable stop start as it will conk out at a stop sign and not start again. Id take it straight to dealer as it likely will not go away/ recharge correctly.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, hopefully, the OP comes back and gives us a tad more detail... He told us little...

I know a few months ago, I had the exact same thing .... same scenario, happen. Jump started it and then trickled charged it for 16 hrs. and all was well and has been since.

OP
OP
cnyjl

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry everybody, I was away for the day and just got back. I didn't have a lot of time before I left but I wanted to get some replies to try when I got home. I had disconnected the cables going to the small battery and hooked up a trickle charger to both, one at a time and they were both showed green within a couple minutes so I assumed they were fine. Didn't even dawn on me that that really wasn't right since it was sitting for a few weeks. Yeah I know. I picked up a multimeter on my way home and the upper battery was over 12 the lower battery was just over 9 so I'm hoping the problem is solved. Took trickle chargers off my bikes that I know are good and they're both charging. Didn't realize I could charge them together until I saw the posts a few posts back.

I appreciate the help, Sometimes it's easy to miss the obvious when you're expecting something more involved. Again, thanks to all. I'll update the status in the morning.

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@Twistedfab

:CWL: You sure about that....

Suggest you read your 2019 JL Owner's Manual and what it tells you to do, if your JL is not going to be used for... I think it is 21 days, if I remember correctly.
I am talking in general. I have had many Jeep that were not started at least a month and fired up just fine. Guess with all the electrics in there they have a decent little drain to keep memory and whatnot.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cnyjl

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, hopefully, the OP comes back and gives us a tad more detail... He told us little...

I know a few months ago, I had the exact same thing .... same scenario, happen. Jump started it and then trickled charged it for 16 hrs. and all was well and has been since.

All is good and thanks for the help. Had the trickle chargers on for 16 hours and they still didn't turn green, but put the auxillary cables back and it started right up. Took it for a half hour ride and it's charging between 14.2 and 14.5. Seems to be okay. Thanks again.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All is good and thanks for the help. Had the trickle chargers on for 16 hours and they still didn't turn green, but put the auxillary cables back and it started right up. Took it for a half hour ride and it's charging between 14.2 and 14.5. Seems to be okay. Thanks again.
@cnyjl

By your comment, "Had the trickle chargers on for 16 hours and they still didn't turn green, but put the auxillary cables back and it started right up" leads me to believe you are not aware of how the 2 batteries work together and what each one job(s) is. Do forum research and you will understand ...

Anyway, went as I expected. Your issue was related to battery depletion.

Glad all is aok with your JL, now.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
His issue seems to be related to removing the cables for the second battery....

OP
OP
cnyjl

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@cnyjl

By your comment, "Had the trickle chargers on for 16 hours and they still didn't turn green, but put the auxillary cables back and it started right up" leads me to believe you are not aware of how the 2 batteries work together and what each one job(s) is. Do forum research and you will understand ...

Anyway, went as I expected. Your issue was related to battery depletion.

Glad all is aok with your JL, now.

Actually I was researching it before coming here and learned you can disconnect the battery leads running to the auxillary battery and charge it separately. Which I was doing. As I said previously, thanks.

Btw did you retire from zone 1 on Route 9?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
His issue seems to be related to removing the cables for the second battery....
@mwilk012

The cause .... that started the "JLUR Won't Start", for the OP...... appears to be just a matter of battery depletion.

Battery(s) gets depleted to a certain point.. evic lights flash a bit.. and everything goes "black".

I too, as well as other's here, have experienced similar.

Of course, often it is more then battery depletion, and all the trickle charging in the world will not remedy the issue..

Sponsored