JLUR Won't Start

ItMustBeJames

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR PUNK'N
Before you say it, no the battery isn't dead.

My JLUR is 3 months old with ~5,800 mi. I've had no performance issues so far and I'm about to schedule my first oil change and tire rotation.

This morning I took two 20 mile drives with no issues. I put the top in sunrider config for the ride home and parked it like that on the street (level surface) with the front windows down. It's a warm, sunny day.

This afternoon I got in with the key in my pocket, depressed the clutch like usual and pressed the button. Nothing happened. No noise, the button read "Off". My first thought was "dead battery" so I started pressing buttons to turn stuff off. As it happened, the radio and display came on, lights worked, and the locks too. But no matter how much I pressed the button, there was no sound and it still read "off".

I put the top up since I had no idea how long it would be this way. I stopped in at the local Jeep dealer, but the service dept was closed (opens 0800 Mon). The sales guys said my best bet was to press the roadside assistance button and have them tow the Jeep to the dealership for service on Monday.

I got home after about 45 minutes and decided to give it one last shot. Everything started right up.

So, after all of that, does anyone have any thoughts on what on Earth might have happened? I tried roadside assistance. They told me to just bring it into the dealership on Monday so the service department could read any codes or logs as soon as possible. I guess I'll do that. But I can't even fathom what might have happened. Any thoughts?

I'm sure the interior got fairly warm with the top down, but I'm having a hard time imagining a Wrangler that won't start if the interior gets a little warm. I had both key fobs with me at various times during this. They were both in pockets and in the cup holder in the cabin. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? This is my first Wrangler and I absolutely love it, bit I'm also absolutely sure this isn't supposed to happen.
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Well, basics are--EMERGENCY BRAKE ON/GEAR SHIFT IN NEUTRAL/CLUTCH ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR--press button /let system arm, then press for start-

Good luck

W.E.

JIMBO

OP
OP
ItMustBeJames

ItMustBeJames

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR PUNK'N
Well, basics are--EMERGENCY BRAKE ON/GEAR SHIFT IN NEUTRAL/CLUTCH ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR--press button /let system arm, then press for start-
All good basics and easy points of failure. None are the issue in this case.

Tried it with the e brake both on and off. Tried it with the gear shift in neutral + clutch to the floor, as well as in first and clutch all the way to the floor. Had my wife give it a try in case it really was me having a brain fart. No joy with any of it.

Thanks for the suggestions

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
Try this, with clutch down/neutral/ebrake on-------push button at 12 oclock/3 oclock/6 oclock and 9 oclock--

Seems DUMB, but sometimes with that design "momentary contact switch's, pressure on different "POINTS" of the contact will cause the spring mech. to allow full electric contact--(press each one and hold--watch dash for action)

Maybe it's another defect, but it worked for me ONE TIME !

Good luck

JIMBO

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
One more chance method, then I'M OUTTA HERE-

Take the FOB and with all the same preps as before--push the START BUTTON WITH THE FOB END(TRY BOTH ENDS--

Good luck

JIMBO

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Were your doors off? If so, it's possible the Jeep was locked when you tried to start it. It's actually a fairly common thing that can happen. If it happens again, make sure you've "unlocked" the doors using the Fob. Not sure if that applies to your situation, but it's the only thing I can think of based on what you've described. Either way, sorry you had to deal with all of that... Not Fun!
Sponsored