JLUR Frame Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
After removing the front bumper from my 2020 JLUR, I exposed damage to the front frame. Of course both manufacturer and dealer are denying causing it. Has anybody seen or had similar markings?

15041A2E-F995-4B9B-8BA7-0F1B4F702413.jpeg

B5AB7638-7E81-4313-827A-5AC360E56CBF.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mike12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It’s not about integrity of the pictured dam
Are you afraid of spray paint?
i just didn’t expect to need to spray paint the frame six months after the $60,000 purchase. Seems unacceptable that a brand new vehicle would come with this damage.

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
It’s not about integrity of the pictured dam

i just didn’t expect to need to spray paint the frame six months after the $60,000 purchase. Seems unacceptable that a brand new vehicle would come with this damage.

Looks fresh. There is zero rust. This didn't happen 6 months ago.

I get what you're saying and it is alright to feel the way you feel.

However, think about how accomplished you'll feel by spending $.30 cents in paint to fix it and forget about it.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
C’mon guys. The OP has a point: the same scratches would be more easily swept under the rug —or sprayed over in this case— if he had paid $30,000 or $40,000 for the Jeep. But at $60,000, expectations change. And that is the part neither FCA nor its dealers seem to get.

When I installed the Mopar steel bumper earlier this week, I discovered that the front ends of the frame had been spray painted with a matte black paint; the rest of the frame is painted shiny black. Upon close inspection, I noticed that the weld spots look strangely thick. Which leads me to believe that my 2018 JL may have been part of that initial batch of units with frame welds coming off, prompting FCA to issue an emergency fix on roughly 18,000 JLs.

When I bought my JL, it had been sitting on the lot for 18 months; got it for 22% off MSRP. And the Jeep has been trouble free in the first year I’ve owned it. When I take everything into account, I am fine with it. On the other hand, had I paid $60,000 for it...I am not sure I’d be so happy.

FCA keeps jacking up prices every couple months and we get nothing in return: quality and customer service keep sucking like they always have.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
C’mon guys. The OP has a point: the same scratches would be more easily swept under the rug —or sprayed over in this case— if he had paid $30,000 or $40,000 for the Jeep. But at $60,000, expectations change. And that is the part neither FCA nor its dealers seem to get.

When I installed the Mopar steel bumper earlier this week, I discovered that the front ends of the frame had been spray painted with a matte black paint; the rest of the frame is painted shiny black. Upon close inspection, I noticed that the weld spots look strangely thick. Which leads me to believe that my 2018 JL may have been part of that initial batch of units with frame welds coming off, prompting FCA to issue a fix on roughly 18,000 JLs.

When I bought my JL, it had been sitting on the lot for 18 months; got it for 22% off MSRP. And the Jeep has been trouble free in the first year I’ve owned it. When I take everything into account, I am fine with it. On the other hand, had I paid $60,000 for it...I am not sure I’d be so happy.

FCA keeps jacking up prices every couple months, but we get nothing in return: quality and customer service keep sucking like they always have.
In the time it took you to post that I could have fixed it.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

When I installed the Mopar steel bumper earlier this week, I discovered that the front ends of the frame had been spray painted with a matte black paint; the rest of the frame is painted shiny black. Upon close inspection, I noticed that the weld spots look strangely thick. Which leads me to believe that my 2018 JL may have been part of that initial batch of units with frame welds coming off, prompting FCA to issue a fix on roughly 18,000 JLs.

FCA keeps jacking up prices every couple months and we get nothing in return: quality and customer service keep sucking like they always have.
Like another poster said, this was likely done while removing the bumper. If these scratches were done during assembly there would be surface rust. Regardless I would hardly call scratches on the frame that can’t be seen until you start removing parts “damage”.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
In the time it took you to post that I could have fixed it.
Right. Like if you went to a fancy restaurant and got a hair in your soup, it’d take 2 seconds to pull out the hair...

The sad reality of it is Jeeps are drive-through cheeseburgers at sirloin-and-lobster prices.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Right. If you went to a fancy restaurant and you got a hair in your soup, it’d take 2 seconds to pull the hair out...

The sad reality of it is Jeeps are drive through mac and cheese at sirloin and lobster prices.
What's worse? Not having your vehicle for a few days because you turned this into warranty where the fix is exactly how you would fix it at home? Or spraying it and forgetting about it in a couple of hours?

I have a 2018 frame full of rusty welds that are looking for an answer.

Grace213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU

When I installed the Mopar steel bumper earlier this week, I discovered that the front ends of the frame had been spray painted with a matte black paint; the rest of the frame is painted shiny black. Upon close inspection, I noticed that the weld spots look strangely thick. Which leads me to believe that my 2018 JL may have been part of that initial batch of units with frame welds coming off, prompting FCA to issue an emergency fix on roughly 18,000 JLs.

Just sell it and go buy a kia sportage from 1998.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i see where O/P coming from. 60K rubicon should have some damn good quality inspections being done. i Also agree, being in the metal fab line of work for over 15 years now there is no way that is an old scratch. that would be rusted without a doubt. and it is an easy spot to miss on dealer inspection as it was behind the bumper. IT does suck finding these things and I understand venting about it But don't let it ruin your day. My 18 sportS was in the first run of wranglers with the bad welds. and the paint doesn't like sticking on bad welds/ un-cleaned welds. since i have cleaned and painted with bed liner paint to all the weld points and skid plates as i ding them up wheeling. its peace of mind knowing that i have kept rust away by doing this.

i recommend grabbing a beer and some thinner cleaning the scratch and hitting it with
Rust-O-ileum bed liner in a rattle can.. I keep two at all times on the shelf of my garage

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
But don't let it ruin your day.

i recommend grabbing a beer
Brilliant. Enjoy fixing your Jeep. Use it as an excuse to be physically active or something.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.