Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hi Everyone, not to beat the "dead horse"... just confirming ... I have a 2018 JLUR with tow package, if I purchase this cable and controller, its all plug and play with no other issues or activities that need to be done?

Really appreciate the feedback, trying to get things ordered/set for the road trip in a couple days.
My jeep did not come with the trailer tow package from factory, so my setup is different than others. I installed the mopar wiring harness after purchase. I did not have a way to tie into the brake wire without splicing wires. The connector cable that Wibornz references did not work on my setup. I ended up using a wireless controller and so far, I'm very happy. Good luck.
Sponsored

CRZYCDN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL XR Unlimited
I called the customer support for Reese....the main company makes all 3 brands, Draw tite, Reese and Tekonsha.
Reese 8508211 and Drawtite 5535 are the "Same" just different label on the front (says their Technical support)
As well I also found out that 3014 works but doesn't have the Diode (so don't use it!) 3073 is the correct pin-out with Diode (Correct for Wrangler) or use 3024 (Also has diode and is for the Ram) but just swap the black and blue wire on the grey connector end for the Wrangler.

Last edited:

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
My jeep did not come with the trailer tow package from factory, so my setup is different than others. I installed the mopar wiring harness after purchase. I did not have a way to tie into the brake wire without splicing wires. The connector cable that Wibornz references did not work on my setup. I ended up using a wireless controller and so far, I'm very happy. Good luck.
Same, I tried for a long time to get a wired trailer brake to work for those of us that did not get the OEM tow package. I gave up and purchased the wireless controller. Just towed my Jayco Hummingbird for 12 hours using it and it worked great!

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I have been using the bluetooth controller made by Curt. It is freaking great! Have towed over 8k miles with it so far.

Sponsored

iba56978

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Agree, the Curt Echo is fantastic. I was concerned about issues with Android Auto but it works flawlessly at the same time the phone is running GPS and Pandora through Android Auto.

I had a few instances where it would drop the bluetooth connection but that seems to have gone away.

I have been using the bluetooth controller made by Curt. It is freaking great! Have towed over 8k miles with it so far.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Hi Everyone, not to beat the "dead horse"... just confirming ... I have a 2018 JLUR with tow package, if I purchase this cable and controller, its all plug and play with no other issues or activities that need to be done?

Really appreciate the feedback, trying to get things ordered/set for the road trip in a couple days.
It is plug and play. It take less than 10 minutes to install it. I have over 10,000 miles of trouble free towing with it on the road and trail. Just returned from a 5734 mile trip and towed the camper.

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I just read through this thread yesterday, and finally jumped in.
Just bought the Redarc Tow-pro. I love the ability to hide the controller and just see the small knob on the dash somewhere. My JLUR has the tow package, so I'm not expecting any complications other than placement running the wires.

My teardrop is finally going to be ready by the end of the month, so I have some time to get it installed and looking good.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL - Trailer Brake Controller 1596654201097

JoBuck

First Name
Jodie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUWD Sarge Green
2020 Willys without the factory tow package. Installed the Red Arc Tow Pro Elite and tapped into my third brake light to trigger the controller. Towed 500 miles this past weekend and absolutely no problems

Sponsored

Reddysk1

First Name
Siva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I called the customer support for Reese....the main company makes all 3 brands, Draw tite, Reese and Tekonsha.
Reese 8508211 and Drawtite 5535 are the "Same" just different label on the front (says their Technical support)
As well I also found out that 3014 works but doesn't have the Diode (so don't use it!) 3073 is the correct pin-out with Diode (Correct for Wrangler) or use 3024 (Also has diode and is for the Ram) but just swap the black and blue wire on the grey connector end for the Wrangler.
I'm getting my trailer next week so i'm curious what you ended up installing? I have the factory tow package

CRZYCDN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL XR Unlimited
I installed the Drawtite 5535 and 3073 cable. Worked perfectly...! Simple plug and play...hardest/longest part was to finally decide on location to mount it on the panel below the steering wheel.

I used small bolts/washer with nylock nuts...as the little screws that come with it/combined with the thin plastic panel wasn't confident it would stay secure.

I ziptied the slack cable up on the metal braces right under that panel/above the pedals.

Only thing I want to do now is either paint the bolt/washer black to help hide them...or get black ones.... I know being picky now!!

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I finally got the controller installed Its been so dang hot, its hard to go work on the Jeep in the garage.

While I was in there, I added a dead pedal too. Been wanting to do that for a while now.

20200829_163212.jpg

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I finally got the controller installed Its been so dang hot, its hard to go work on the Jeep in the garage.

While I was in there, I added a dead pedal too. Been wanting to do that for a while now.

20200829_163212.jpg
How the hell do you press the clutch with that thing there?

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
How the hell do you press the clutch with that thing there?
Lol.

I installed this really cool add on. It changes the gears for you. So I took my clutch pedal out completely. Its is so effortless, it's almost "automatic". In fact that would be a good name for it. Maybe I could get a trademark for that name.
Sponsored