JL - Trailer Brake Controller

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
My '19 JLUR did not have the grey plug under the dash like your video. Mine did not come with the trailer tow package. I have since installed the mopar hitch and the mopar aux switches. I ended up using a wireless brake controller.
Ah, well that's a bummer! I wish all JLs came with that plug like the JTs do.
Sponsored

MetalguyH

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
JLURmojito, Thanks for excellent information. There is a 3073-P that is supposed to be now available specifically for the JLU. I have ordered twice to be told they are out of stock when they went to ship the part. Appears a simple harness is on back order everywhere for 3 months. Just picked up a 3024-P and flipped wires. Installing today.

I see you are in WI too! I am over in Appleton. Bought a camper to travel some and fly fish when we are in position to do so......

Thx again for all the insight!
I just got my hands on a 3073-P from a place called Michigan Truck Springs (online). Installed it today, but haven’t towed yet. Looks like it has the diode and seems to work. I’ll report back after I tow.

Aehill4

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
My '19 JLUR did not have the grey plug under the dash like your video. Mine did not come with the trailer tow package. I have since installed the mopar hitch and the mopar aux switches. I ended up using a wireless brake controller.
My 2019 JL also did not come with the trailer tow package. However, I have recently installed the Mopar hitch and wiring harness. I plan to use the Curt Bluetooth brake controller. Do I need to have the Jeep flashed at the dealership? What would this accomplish?

Last edited:

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My 2019 JL also did not come with the trailer tow package. However, I have recently installed the Mopar hitch and wiring harness. I plan to use the Curt Bluetooth brake controller. Do I need to have the Jeep flashed at the dealership? What would this accomplish?
You do not need to. I towed without a “flash” for a while. I actually didn’t know there was anything to flash. However, when I installed my aux switches which normally come with the tow package, I found out there is technically a flash for the trailer wiring. I think technically it just activates the electronic sway control that is built into the electronic stability control. I’m not sure how much it actually does if or when activated compared to the normal ESC.

the only reason I activated mine was because I finally bought a Tazer and it was available in there. The dealer wanted 120$ to activate my aux switches, which takes like 5 minutes. I’m sure they’d want the same to flash the trailer as well.

Rubidozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Jeep JLUS

Sponsored

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Has anyone installed the Mopar Brake Controller shown in this thread from the Gladiator site?
I’m going to order it but curious to know what it will be like without the factory installed tow package. I have already installed the hitch receiver and tow harness wiring but waited for the Mopar Controller.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL - Trailer Brake Controller 1590851825641

Here’s the link:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeep-mopar-trailer-brake-controller.46238/
Looks like from their website it won't be out until July at the earliest.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Where does the controller go? I want to make sure I don't use that space with any mods I am doing between now and its shipping

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Where does the controller go? I want to make sure I don't use that space with any mods I am doing between now and its shipping
From. This picture, it looks like it replaces the 12v Cigarette plug to the left if the window switches
Jeep Wrangler JL JL - Trailer Brake Controller 20200607_125754

Sponsored

tmcarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU S24
Occupation
CIO
I have installed a Hopkins Insight controller into my JLU as well using the factory connector, and my brake controller works fine, but I get the same warning lights, unfortunately FCA has no fix for it, and in Indiana if I tow my trailer with the Electronic Stabilty Disabaled and get into a wreck, I'm pretty sure I'm going to own the wreck, no matter who's fault it is. So I have a 1 year old Coachman 17BH Clipper for sale, that I can no longer tow. Really sucks, because the whole reason I bought the JLU was to tow my camper.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL - Trailer Brake Controller 20200607_125754
avnmech, I don't know if it will work for you or not, but my JLUS did not come with tow package, so I added a Mopar hitch and a Mopar 7-wire harness. I could not find the brake trigger wire, so I decided on a Curt Echo Mobile in-line brake controller. It has been a good choice for me. It plugs into the TV 7-pin connector, then you plug your TT into it. It uses a bluetooth connection to a smartphone to display braking information and to act as a manual braking button. The unit does NOT need the smartphone connection to function. If you loose connection or your phone battery dies, your brakes still work. I have never in over a year and approx. 12 trips had the device to loose connection. It takes a couple trips to get it dialed in exactly. Plus, it has seven savable combinations so you can use it on multiple TV/TT combinations as I and my son have.
I own no stock in Curt, the above is just my experience and I am sure there are many other suitable/competent products available.

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
avnmech, I don't know if it will work for you or not, but my JLUS did not come with tow package, so I added a Mopar hitch and a Mopar 7-wire harness. I could not find the brake trigger wire, so I decided on a Curt Echo Mobile in-line brake controller. It has been a good choice for me. It plugs into the TV 7-pin connector, then you plug your TT into it. It uses a bluetooth connection to a smartphone to display braking information and to act as a manual braking button. The unit does NOT need the smartphone connection to function. If you loose connection or your phone battery dies, your brakes still work. I have never in over a year and approx. 12 trips had the device to loose connection. It takes a couple trips to get it dialed in exactly. Plus, it has seven savable combinations so you can use it on multiple TV/TT combinations as I and my son have.
I own no stock in Curt, the above is just my experience and I am sure there are many other suitable/competent products available.
I have used this same Curt connector for over a year and multiple trips across country with an offroad camper with no issues.

Rubidozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Jeep JLUS
Would you add a link?