Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Wow this thread make it seem like a brake controller is difficult on a JL. I installed one in less than 10 minutes.

Buy this wiring harness. Yea, I know it said its not for the JL, but trust me it is plug and play. We are running this on Two different JLURs and they work great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QRWR1YI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then buy this controller. plug into the JL conector, plug into the controller and mount it. Your done. Under ten minutes.
I have over 4,000 miles now towing a camper.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M59QRWK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and just under 60 dollars.

Pics for the heck of it.
qSigG8cx_tCa58YM0cvPt_QEWuLesplc_kLnp_L5D8AnFk26kaRaRzEfzrZ8S2EOGRdfnnF_vllu8nM7n8=w1010-h757-no.jpg

gTNCxxqaPrq4IDjYuvw1R_6r6FNCDLMLu8n3NZGC9Y_cvdXruFj4rspgjVocH5Ux3eQEs9A58L_lJmqQ3w=w1010-h757-no.jpg
Where does the vehicle end of the harness go? Iā€™m still trying to figure out wiring (new to controllers). Sounds like the blue one runs from the rear and then you still need a power and ground and tie into the break signal?
Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I may have answered my own question to wibornz. This adapter plug must only work if you had the brake package from the factory. I donā€™t have the 4 wore plug under the dash like I see on YouTube.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I may have answered my own question to wibornz. This adapter plug must only work if you had the brake package from the factory. I donā€™t have the 4 wore plug under the dash like I see on YouTube.
Yes, my JLUR has the tow package. We now have my set up in four JLURs that have the tow package. Combined, we have approximately 15,000 miles of towing between us with no problems out of the brake controller set up that I posted.

Happy_Camper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JL
THE DEFINITIVE SOLUTION to install brake control WITHOUT dash error lights
To add a bit of credibility - I am a RVDA Certified Technician (camper mechanic) and work at the largest RV dealer in central Wisconsin. ...
@JLURmojito - Thanks for the information. Used the pigtail which works great.

Using the information provided I was able to install a brake controller - took about 40 minutes or so. As I was using a Redarc controller and was not able to find a cable to bridge between the Jeepā€™s connector - so with the recommendation in JLURmojitoā€™s write up for a substitute cable and then splicing to RedArcā€™s cable I came up with a workable solution in short order. I am tall and did not want the controls to be in the way of my knees. Wanted to use the cubby under the 12v socket but once the dash was apart it was not deep enough unless I wanted to to more modification... So there was a little space next to the 12v socket - Works well for me. Problem solved.

34F324B0-5341-46F0-A83F-193C5F9D292A.jpeg

Golfshrink

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, ā€˜07 Toyota FJ Cruiser & 1968 IH Scout 800
Vehicle Showcase
For reference, I have a JLR with the factory tow package. I went with the Redarc Tow Pro Elite. I ordered from etrailer.com and they had a new pigtail adaptor that allowed a complete plug-n-play application...no swapping wires required. Plugged right into the factory tow harness found under the dash and worked perfectly with no dash lights or other unexpected issues. The adaptor from etrailer added about $20 to the already pricy Redarc unit but it installed relatively easily and I love the diminutive control knob. Also much easier to adjust than the Tekonsha I had in my previous tow vehicle.
9E2B61A0-D603-49BC-817F-0B3560376700.jpeg

Sponsored

MarkL

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4 door rubicon Fire cracker Red Ford F-350 4x4
I really like the Curt Echo Mobile. I have had it for several months, used it on several trips and it has performed flawlessly. It connects every time, it has never lost connection (even though it is supposed to continue to function even if it looses connection with smartphone). It also allows me to use it on multiple vehicles. I couldn't be happier with it. (I own no stock in Curt) ;-)
Did you have the factory 7 pin? Did you have to do anything to add 12 volts?

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the factory tow pkg. itā€™s plug and play/Bluetooth to tour to your phone and thatā€™s it. No wires yo connect and no control box to mount.
I've been using this for a little bit now. I really like it. Its worked perfect with no issues.

ghodson

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
fist pull out the white center plastic piece. You will have to slide the tabs on each side first and then pull it out from the center of the clip. Once the plastic piece is out, you will see a slot above each wire. Using a small flathead, insert the flathead above the wire in the slot and push. This pressure will release the tab that holds in the wire. You will have to pull the wire from the back while simultaneously pushing the release tab with the flathead from the front. Once released, do the other wire, and swap their location. Inserting them only requires pushing them in as they will snap in place. Replace the white plastic centerpiece and you're good to go.
Thanks for the detail - made it so much easier to figure it out....!!

ghodson

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
THE DEFINITIVE SOLUTION to install brake control WITHOUT dash error lights
To add a bit of credibility - I am a RVDA Certified Technician (camper mechanic) and work at the largest RV dealer in central Wisconsin. We install a TON of brake controls, and I have a strong electrical background and understanding. I own a 2019 JLUR with factory tow.

From what I can tell NO ONE makes a brake control wiring harness for the 2018-2019 Jeep Wrangler (new body style) w/ factory tow pkg.

Curt lists one (51458)ā€“ but I have confirmed that it is incorrectly pinned and will not work.

The reason none of the existing harnesses will work is the same as the problem that plagued the 2013-2014 Dodge Ram 1500 trucks that took tekonsha 3 years to develop a harness that wouldnā€™t fry the truck computerā€¦ When manually operating the brake control ā€“ the controller will send voltage back into the dark side of the brake light switch to activate the vehicle and trailer brake lights. On a 13-14 RAM, the ā€œswitchā€ isnt a switchā€¦ itā€™s a computer. Send power into it where it doesnā€™t belong and you got a new stinky paperweight. The harness that tekonsha developed has a diode (check valve for electrical) in-line on the brake signal wire (red). This allows the vehicle to send power to activate the brake control, but prevents the brake control from sending power back to the vehicle to activate the lights on override.

Several of you have found that the Tekonsha 3014 harness works! ...well, until your dash lit up like a Christmas tree...
The 3014 harness has the correct plug and the correct pinout - that's why it works, but it is missing the diode that is required to block the brake control from sending voltage back into the computer.
I have EVERY tekonsha quick harness in stock. I grabbed a 3014 and confirmed it to plug into my jeep. Then I pulled every harness with the correct vehicle side plugin and compared...

My findings are;

The 3014 harness is a direct fit ā€“ but does not have a diode.

The 3021 harness fits ā€“ it needs the black and blue wires swapped and also does not have a diode.

The 3023 harness will not fit as it has two separate connectors. (a separate connector is used for the brake signal wire)

The 3024 harness fits ā€“ it needs the black and blue wires swapped and ALREADY HAS A DIODE INSTALLED!

The 3065 harness fits ā€“ the whole pinout is messed up, itā€™s intended for a Ford. (the first four harnesses are all Chrysler)

Coincidently, the ā€œfit chartā€ for the Curt harness (51458) that is listed for the new wrangler matches the Tekonsha 3024 ā€œfit chartā€.

Iā€™m not a Curt fan - reasons are mostly based upon ethics with how they treat the retailers that handle their products... However, because they listed it as fitting the new JL, I contacted their dealer tech line and confirmed that the harness DOES have the required diode, and that the pinout of the vehicle plug DOES NOT MATCH their 51460 harness (same as the 3014 that "works" but messes with the dash lights). They published 51458 fit compatibility with the new JL without even confirming that it works!!!!!
To give them credit - their tech that I spoke with was very polite and provided me with the pinouts and confirmation of the presence of a diode within the brake signal wire in an educated way. (not like at the auto parts counter when you ask for a 3157 headlamp and they ask you what kind of vehicle it is for...) He was also intrigued to hear my findings - we will see if they make an addendum to the fit guide that the black and blue pins have to be swapped for the new JL...

Anyway, I have not seen a company that offers a DIRECT fit harness for the new wrangler (or even mentions making it work), so while we wait a couple years for the aftermarket to flip two wires and come up with a new part number, the rest of us can use the tekonsha 3024 harness and swap the black and blue wires. (bonus ā€“ if this harness is installed without swapping the wires, it will not cause any damage to the vehicle or controller, the controller just wont power up!)

NOW, I must add that the diode DISABLES the ability for the brake controller to illuminate the brake lights on the vehicle and trailer under override. (only an issue when using the manual "slider" button on the brake control... typically only used to setup brake controller, testing trailer brakes, and in emergent situations)
I don't want to get into legalities, so check with your own state... It is my understanding that in California (maybe some other states too) it is REQUIRED BY LAW that the brake lights illuminate any time ANY braking force is applied. If you travel through any state that has this requirement, an ADDITIONAL harness (30235) can be installed to add that functionality while maintaining the protection of the computer. The text right from Tekonshas part description "California Compliant - Our Brake Control Stop Light Adapter is designed for brake controls and/or vehicles that do not activate the stop lights on a trailer when the manual lever of the brake control is engaged. This is necessary in the state of California."

Parts needed:
Tekonsha Harness #3024
Tekonsha Brake Light Kit #30235 (only required in states that require brake lights when using override)
Proportional Brake Controller of Choice (do NOT get a timer based controller - they only to make you legal, they are not safe)

If you made it all the way to the end - thanks! I can get a little long winded, but I am very analytical and detailed...

If any of you ever need a brake controller installed for fear of modifying a harness - or need any camper related work, I am very proud of our dealership. We just had a couple guys finish their technician certification - We now have the most RVDA certified technicians at any single facility in the entire state! Not too bad for a little mom and pop shop! I am in the process of setting up a blog with technical how-to write-ups on RV related topics, a lot like this one! Check out our website if you are interested. www.greenewayrv.com

Happy Jeeping!
JLURmojito, Thanks for excellent information. There is a 3073-P that is supposed to be now available specifically for the JLU. I have ordered twice to be told they are out of stock when they went to ship the part. Appears a simple harness is on back order everywhere for 3 months. Just picked up a 3024-P and flipped wires. Installing today.

I see you are in WI too! I am over in Appleton. Bought a camper to travel some and fly fish when we are in position to do so......

Thx again for all the insight!

Sponsored

Maverick18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Ok, So I am finally ready to install my RedArc unit in my 2019 JLUS without factory tow. Has anyone found a reliable signal for the brake input on the controller? Should I try to send it back (it's been months, I don't know if eTrailer will exchange) and just go with the bluetooth unit?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Anyone install a brake controller on a JLU without factory tow?
Should be exactly the same. You should still have the same grey plug under the dash that I showed in my video.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Should be exactly the same. You should still have the same grey plug under the dash that I showed in my video.
My '19 JLUR did not have the grey plug under the dash like your video. Mine did not come with the trailer tow package. I have since installed the mopar hitch and the mopar aux switches. I ended up using a wireless brake controller.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone install a brake controller on a JLU without factory tow?
I used the wireless echo controller. So far so good. I was to hesitant to splice into my brake controls.
Sponsored