Sponsored

JL Roof

doh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 wrangler
Maybe bolstering the existing pillars doesn't get us to the required strength and only a fixed steel roof meets the latest requirements?
They need to find a way, any way, to do it even if it adds 300 pounds to the car. thats just my opinion but i think most Jeep guys would choose added weight if it means we can keep the fully removable roof.
Sponsored

doh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 wrangler
also it says the JL will have:
  • Interchangeable soft / hard top
  • Power softtop
  • True 3-piece hardtop
  • Optional hardtop glass panel
that sounds like an awful lot of options for the roof. how are they going to implement a power soft top and still make it interchangeable with a hard top? is it simply going to be plug and play?

OP
OP
JKguy

JKguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU Rubicon, '03 GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel, 1995 YJ Laredo
Vehicle Showcase
  • Power softtop
  • True 3-piece hardtop
that sounds like an awful lot of options for the roof. how are they going to implement a power soft top and still make it interchangeable with a hard top? is it simply going to be plug and play?
If they were to do that, which they might, it would most likely be plug and play, I don't think they would want us to be stuck with just one option, I surely wouldn't.

doh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 wrangler
a quick switch hard/soft top with power would be very appealing tho ive yet to see a power soft top for a wrangler done in a way that i like.

the fact that it's being offered must also mean the "solid" frame around the panels is also removable which is good news.

OP
OP
JKguy

JKguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU Rubicon, '03 GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel, 1995 YJ Laredo
Vehicle Showcase
a quick switch hard/soft top with power would be very appealing tho ive yet to see a power soft top for a wrangler done in a way that i like.

the fact that it's being offered must also mean the "solid" frame around the panels is also removable which is good news.
That would be a neat feature to see

Sponsored

BlackRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Rubicon
  • Power softtop
  • True 3-piece hardtop

According to the latest post from Mr. M the frame is there for both soft and hard tops. I'm with you, I can't figure out how they will sell both tops, make it interchangeable AND offer power top.

What I'd like to see is a hybrid hard/soft top. 3 equal sized hard top panels over the front and rear seats (on the JLU). And soft panels/windows for the side and rear that can be unzipped and rolled for storage just like the current soft top. This would be the best of both worlds to me. You get the better insulation from noise/environment with the hard top and makes it possible to quickly remove it with just one person.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
With a design like that imagery on page 1 of this thread, you'd have more leak protection because the panels aren't having to seal against other panels like on the JK. Each panel on JL would then seal against a fixed surface, thereby making it easier to resist leaks after removal/reinstallation time and time again.

Also, if they have kept the folding windshield, which is something that they've said for years they need to get rid of because nobody uses it and it's a safety issue, then why would they delete the removable doors? That makes no sense and I don't believe it.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If removable doors went against federal safety regulations, they wouldn't be on new JK's now. Removable doors will stay. Guaranteed. The prototypes appear to retain the same kind of hinges, too.

LordEgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
You ain't gettin a fold down window (confirmed) and not get removable doors

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
You ain't gettin a fold down window (confirmed) and not get removable doors
As much as you'd like to think you're right, the pictures say otherwise.

Sponsored

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
We will see. Have we seen pictures of the doors yet?
Nothing yet really, sadly. I would love to see what's under the cameo front and rear.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
We need confirmation of three things:

1. Removable 3-sunroof, 3-panel, 6-piece roof as pictured in clay model, all storable in trunk area.

2. Removable doors which are faster/easier to remove than the JK/JKU.

3. Diesel engine

FLtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
Ideally there will be a deep storage area under the trunk carpet that can be used to store the panels or other things and can be locked for when the doors/roof are off. I wouldn't mind if they have to increase the height of the interior to compensate for it. Where I live the weather can change on a dime and it's no fun being caught without the top when it starts to pour.

Alvin R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Ideally there will be a deep storage area under the trunk carpet that can be used to store the panels or other things and can be locked for when the doors/roof are off. I wouldn't mind if they have to increase the height of the interior to compensate for it. Where I live the weather can change on a dime and it's no fun being caught without the top when it starts to pour.
By the looks of the size of that large rear piece, it by no means will fit inside the JL. Especially the 2 door.
Sponsored