Sponsored

JL Roof

LordEgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
You aren't getting a fold down window AND NOT getting removable doors. I.E. they would t go through the trouble of keeping the fold down window, ( which at the time of my post was already confirmed by this site ) and not make the doors removable. My point was how stupid would it be to have a fold down windshield with the doors on.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
You aren't getting a fold down window AND NOT getting removable doors. I.E. they would t go through the trouble of keeping the fold down window, ( which at the time of my post was already confirmed by this site ) and not make the doors removable. My point was how stupid would it be to have a fold down windshield with the doors on.
Haha Doors on w/ windshield down might be great for hunting gazelle on a cold desert night!

The versatility of the Wrangler !

Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Has that vintage feel:

11600IMG_1351.jpg

Forgot that the original Broncos were so badass.

Or this look:
15-scout-80-windshield-folded-down.jpg

Would you mind opening those vent windows? It's starting to feel a little stuffy in here.

crash13

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
New guy here, and like many others, planning on trading in my old MDX (2006) for a new JL when they arrive. Apparently I'm the new market,

Roof question? Looking at all the JK's and JL's I personally much prefer the black hard top on any color over the body color which you have to pay extra for. First off, when you take it off and store it, if it gets scratched you won't see it. Secondly, black roofs are actually considered more luxurious and usually reserved for F1 and other high end cars (Range Rover also comes to mind). Looking through the gallery I see about an even split...
Other's thoughts?

edit - to make it look like an F1, or floating roof. probably not a Jeep consideration, but was wondering about other's preferences and why?

Last edited:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
F1 roof?

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
New guy here, and like many others, planning on trading in my old MDX (2006) for a new JL when they arrive. Apparently I'm the new market,

Roof question? Looking at all the JK's and JL's I personally much prefer the black hard top on any color over the body color which you have to pay extra for. First off, when you take it off and store it, if it gets scratched you won't see it. Secondly, black roofs are actually considered more luxurious and usually reserved for F1 and other high end cars (Range Rover also comes to mind). Looking through the gallery I see about an even split...
Other's thoughts?

edit - to make it look like an F1, or floating roof. probably not a Jeep consideration, but was wondering about other's preferences and why?
A couple of us were talking about this on a thread a couple weeks ago, maybe this one, I am not sure, but I had been saying I don't like the color match top. To me, the contrasting colored tops are part of the iconic image of the wrangler. Just doesn't look right to me with body match roof. I get some people might find it more "stylish", which I believe is the exact word Jeep uses on its website to describe it, but I think it makes it look just like any other car out there for the most part. Just one man's opinion.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Ideally i would like a body color hard top but where the sunroof panels and surrounds where it connects to front and rear windshield would be tinted-glass & black:

2j2tftz.jpg

This would look the most like my S-class (former) and other high end European models. And would give me the panoramic safari sunroof I NEED :bandit:

Last edited:

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Ideally i would like a body color hard top but where the sunroof panels and surrounds where it connects to front and rear windshield would be tinted-glass & black:

2j2tftz.jpg

This would look the most like my S-class (former) and other high end European models. And would give me the panoramic safari sunroof I NEED :bandit:
Im pretty sure the power soft top will look like that, but instead of it being glass it will be fabric.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase

Other's thoughts?

For this Range Rover look:

636312484311898657NC.jpg

You would need to paint the upper door area black and the windshield frame. Also it wouldn't look the same as you would have gloss black paint with Plastic hard top. The hard top dose not stay a nice shiny black when not painted. You would need to buy a painted black top to get that.

With that said, the new JL has full rain gutters on it so I think you would be better off buying a painted top and having everything above the rain gutter painted white or black (or wrapped). To give it a classic defender look:

remote.jpg.jpg

Land-Rover-Defender-90-Heritage-Edition-front-three-quarters.jpg

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Other's thoughts?
I've had the standard black roof JK and 'body colored' white roof on my new JK. The roof is fiberglass and is actually white. So the standard black roof, when scratched, shows a white scratch. It happens. Especially with the freedom panels. Heck, when I bought my JKUR new, the driver side panel had a decent gash in it. The dealer wanted to paint it. I objected and they swapped in another undamaged panel.

The body colored roof is painted with the same paint and clearcoat. That's thicker than the standard black paint on a JK roof. I'm curious if all the body colored hard tops are painted over the standard black paint - or are they painted special?

I know Jeep - like all car makers - utilize the Just In Time process to make vehicles now. Maybe no need to make all hardtops the same then paint to match what they are being used for. I don't know.

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Thanks for the tip on the roof. My plan was a White JT with black roof. But I like your idea of painting the white roof black.

Is there a weight difference depending on what type of roof you go with ?

joem

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 j/k
the leaked manual mentions nothing of having to remove the side bars in order to lower windshield-i suspect that they are not going to be there any longer
Sponsored