Sponsored

JL Roof

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
I may be in the minority who is happy the Freedom top is not changing much from the looks of it.

As for the multiple panels, the more pieces you have, the more bolts, more areas that need a good seal, the more areas for potential leaks. FCA is trying to fix these problems not create more of it. That's why I don't think we're going to see 5-6 piece tops like some people are hoping. The hard top should stay 3 pieces with 2 smaller panels and a large lift off roof in the rear. There's really only so much they can do to improve it.

IMO there's a whole lot more improvement that can be done with the soft top since it's all fabric and plastic windows. The best thing would be to lose the zippers, make it powered, or give it hinges that allow it to fold onto itself into the trunk. With the JK the soft top is only slightly easier to take off than the hard top since there's so much unzipping and folding you have to do. FCA can do MUCH better with it and make it the clear choice for anyone that constantly takes the roof on/off.
Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
As for the multiple panels, the more pieces you have, the more bolts, more areas that need a good seal, the more areas for potential leaks. FCA is trying to fix these problems not create more of it. That's why I don't think we're going to see 5-6 piece tops like some people are hoping.

IMO there's a whole lot more improvement that can be done with the soft top since it's all fabric and plastic windows. The best thing would be to lose the zippers, make it powered, or give it hinges that allow it to fold onto itself into the trunk.
my mentioning of 6-pieces, is really only a 3-panel roof structure which has detachable center panels over the glass portion of each of the three panels.

So it's still only "three panels" just like your outdated favorite with no sunroofs. Think about your reasoning, brother. Three equal size lateral panels with no center seams, all able to be removed and stacked in the rear storage/trunk area with the two rearmost side windows stacked on top of it in a locked storage trunk in back. You can't bring the huge back half of your beloved freedoms top with you, unless they include stow and go seating in the back, and enough width to House the entire 66.7% roof portion. And you certainly can't bring the huge back part of the freedom roof with you on a JKU. So much for "freedom".

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Roof {filename}

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
I believe we are talking about 2 different things. You are talking about a sunroof, I am talking about the Freedom hard top. IF you see a sunroof it will not be part of the Freedom top. We've seen the top of the hardtop in the spy pics already and there's sunroof so I'm not sure what you're talking about with a "3-panel roof structure which has detachable center panels over the glass portion of each of the three panels." Is this just something you're hoping is another hard top option because there is zero evidence of this so far.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
I believe we are talking about 2 different things. You are talking about a sunroof, I am talking about the Freedom hard top. IF you see a sunroof it will not be part of the Freedom top. We've seen the top of the hardtop in the spy pics already and there's sunroof so I'm not sure what you're talking about with a "3-panel roof structure which has detachable center panels over the glass portion of each of the three panels." Is this just something you're hoping is another hard top option because there is zero evidence of this so far.
Did you bother to look at the .GIF I included in my previous post ? The first panels which come out reveal 3 glass sunroofs. The second panels which come off make it open air.

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Did you bother to look at the .GIF I included in my previous post ? The first panels which come out reveal 3 glass sunroofs. The second panels which come off make it open air.
You do realize that's just an artist rendering and not anything official from Jeep right? It's a nice idea that I'd like to see offered but so far the spy photos of the JL/JLU do not show anything resembling this design.

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Roof {filename} Jeep Wrangler JL JL Roof {filename} Jeep Wrangler JL JL Roof {filename}
You do realize that's just an artist rendering and not anything official from Jeep right? It's a nice idea that I'd like to see offered but so far the spy photos of the JL/JLU do not show anything resembling this design.
The clay model at Jeep's main office showed the same design brother. It's 3 equal sized panels are arranged differently than the freedom top's 2 small t-top panels and one large rear panel. But it's essentially THE SAME NUMBER OF MAIN PANELS/SEALS (3). It's just had three extra pieceS that reveal underlying glass sunroofs (leading to a total of 6 pieces) which don't have anything to do with the main roof seals.

So to me it seems silly to state that extra pieces means extra leaks since the number/distance of necessary SEALS is essentially the same, just in a different arrangement.

That different/equal sized panel layout also makes the possibility of flush-stowing all panels in the rear cargo area a real possibility, which is not possible with the one large rear panel on the freedom top. That has to stay in the garage.

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Right but that's a clay model and we have no idea whether it has anything to do with the JL. It has a Renegade front end so it's highly questionable. Also where do you see the underlying glass sunroofs? Is there a picture that I'm missing? All I see is the hard top panels.

I disagree on your point about the 3 panels = 3 panels = same exact leak points. Have you actually taken a look at the Freedom top and are you familiar with where the leaks usually come from?

There's absolutely no potential for leaks in the rear (unlike the clay model design) because it's one solid piece that goes all the way down to the tailgate/fender. The only parts that cause problems are where the panels meet (in the middle of the two front panels and in the middle where the two front panels meet the large top). From what I've gathered the leaks often happen because people don't make sure the panels fit together properly or don't screw in the tab holes properly. All of the touch points where the panels meet with each other and the surrounding frame are areas of potential leaks. I'm not saying it will happen but it sure is more likely than one large rear piece that bends down to the tailgate with no seams.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Also where do you see the underlying glass sunroofs? Is there a picture that I'm missing? All I see is the hard top panels.
The more oval/obilate panels in the center of each panel, presumably snap off upwards, to reveal glass sunroof panels which have a hard top bezel around them. Then to go full open air, you remove those larger rectangular panels, which encase the glass inroof panels.

Unless I'm mistaken didn't someone at Jeep say this clay model was a rejected concept but that a few features from it would be included on the JL/JLU ?

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
The more oval/obilate panels in the center of each panel, presumably snap off upwards, to reveal glass sunroof panels which have a hard top bezel around them. Then to go full open air, you remove those larger rectangular panels, which encase the glass inroof panels.

Unless I'm mistaken didn't someone at Jeep say this clay model was a rejected concept but that a few features from it would be included on the JL/JLU ?
Those are interesting, especially if the panels are indeed how they plan to move forward with this. My only question is how they would address the third brake light since it seems to be so high and part of the top-rear panel unless it is just shining through and it is part of the support structure underneath. However, the first pic does not make it look like the second option.

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee

Interesting. I was not aware this clay model concept had a glass roof incorporated into it. Any pictures of this? I would imagine IF they offered something like this it would just be one variation of the hardtop. A traditional no-frills hardtop will still be needed for anyone that does not want the added weight/possibly damaging the glass. The inner panels look like they would be designed for easiest removal and there has to be a version where it just pops out to be open air and not require an added step of removing the glass underneath. All just hypothetical talk right now of course since there is still no indication this is coming for the JL/JLU.

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Interesting. I was not aware this clay model concept had a glass roof incorporated into it. Any pictures of this? I would imagine IF they offered something like this it would just be one variation of the hardtop. A traditional no-frills hardtop will still be needed for anyone that does not want the added weight/possibly damaging the glass. The inner panels look like they would be designed for easiest removal and there has to be a version where it just pops out to be open air and not require an added step of removing the glass underneath. All just hypothetical talk right now of course since there is still no indication this is coming for the JL/JLU.
the glass insert would be in the panel, under the oval/rounded inner snap-out portion. One could opt for full open air, and remove the entire panel which would include the glass, or one could opt to only remove the rounded snap-in insert, which would reveal the multiple glass/plexiglass sunroofs:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
No glass panels for me. Those things have a tendency to spontaneously shatter. Plus I don't want the extra weight or expense.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
No glass panels for me. Those things have a tendency to spontaneously shatter. Plus I don't want the extra weight or expense.
Windows and windshields and sunroofs have a tendency to spontaneously shatter ? No one I know has ever had any automotive glass shatter on them unless they got in an accident bruh...

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Those are interesting, especially if the panels are indeed how they plan to move forward with this. My only question is how they would address the third brake light since it seems to be so high and part of the top-rear panel unless it is just shining through and it is part of the support structure underneath. However, the first pic does not make it look like the second option.
I would assume brake light would stay the same as it is currently (part of the spare tire carrier)