Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Does the 4 door factory premium soft top have a slightly lessor width (passenger's to driver's side) than the same rig's factory hard top....

...when measured at any point from the front of the rig, across the rig (again, across means passenger's to driver's side) ?

(I realize that neither hard nor soft tops are likely to have identical width when measured at different and multiple points from front of the rig.)

Quick story:

I made a roof rack a while back that I'm adding some features to. This is a picture from a few months ago when the weather was warmer and the soft top was on. I've since swapped the soft top with the hard top as colder weather approaches, having first temporarily removed the cross bars that sit on the roof and run from passenger's to driver's side, while I effected the top swap, putting the cross bars back afterwards.

IMG_2462.JPG

My question is this:

Envision this. I've since this picture added some features that make the roof rack slightly less wide (passenger's to driver's side that is) as is shown in this picture.

If I were to again, temporarily remove all the cross bars on top (that run from the passenger's to driver's side of the rig) and had some sort of crane (I don't) that could lift the hard top straight up as a unit (yes: that's conceptual only, given the top's in 3 pieces) and be able to clear the width of the roof rack, is it fair to say that conceptually speaking, pulling the soft top up the same way as a single unit would also fit...??

Of course I'd never pull either top up this way in reality.

To rephrase my question, especially in light of the rain gutters on the hard top, does the hard top have a slightly wider (passenger's to driver's side) footprint from a top view than the soft top, at any particular distance as measured from the rig's front?

And could it be said that any narrowing of my roof rack (passenger's to driver's side that is) that would allow the hard top to be pulled straight up to the sky and clear the narrower roof rack as discussed above, would also, conceptually, allow the soft top to clear in the same lifting manner, because it (the soft top) is actually slightly narrower than the hard top's footprint at any particular distance as measured from the rig's front??

Thank you. Sorry for the complexity. I just want to make sure we're on the "same page.":)

P.S. My concern is more with the widths at the front of the rig than the rear.
Sponsored