Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
This is why I have a bolt hood lock on my JK. Theves open the unlocked hood and cut the horn.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1105430_hackers-steal-more-than-30-jeeps-in-texas
I have a locking gas cap too
Interesting, not sure if it’s just the horn. Article talks about using a laptop so it sounds like they might be tapping into the diagnostic ports under the hood. If the coding for the proximity system is vulnerable then it would be easy to spoof the Jeep or any other car with that system into thinking the owner was nearby and therefore unlock and allow the vehicle to be started and driven off. Then thief could hack new key fobs and lock out real owner.

Even an unsophisticated thief can score your battery and CAI if installed or vandal could have at it with wire cutters and cause big $$$ repairs.

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
Stories like this is one off the reasons FCA added the Security Gateway device (SGW) on the JLs. It was not on the JKs. Certainly it can be bypassed too, but it makes things a bit more difficult.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
European JL's come stock with hood locks? Look closely at the top of the middle grill. It's not a camera.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I know the Rampage locking hood latches are available. I prefer something that is keyed alike to the fob and gas cap if possible. Any updates on the Mopar or Bolt hood locks?

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
I ordered a JL Mopar Hood Lock -- understood to be manufactured by Bolt -- from Moparonlineparts.com in August, 2018. I don't remember what was the promised delivery at that time, but in the following weeks and months the arrival date on the product's web page kept slipping and slipping.

In late Fall I was on the phone with Bolt for another reason, and I asked them about the Hood Lock. They said that they were going back and forth with Jeep on the kit design. At that time, Bolt did not have an estimated delivery date for either the Mopar version or their later-anticipated Bolt-branded version, or more likely, they didn't want to share what they knew--which was their business prerogative. If the product was still being designed or if the design requirements were being changed by one or both parties, first production was just slipping further and further behind market expectations. Unfortunately, unless somebody on the forum knows somebody in the know at Jeep, we have no idea who is at fault in this grossly overdue introduction--as if blame really matters.

Today, since I was having difficulty getting a delivery update on my specific Mopar Hood Lock order from moparonlineparts.com's website, I contacted their Sales e-mail address (N.B.: they don't like phone calls!).

Justin of Moparonlineparts.com responded "The current ETA is showing October."

In rounded terms, that is another half-year from now!

Per this forum, the Bolt Hood Lock was displayed at SEMA last Fall. Many of us have thus seen the Bolt Hood Lock photos on the forum at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...products-build-sema-2018-jlwf-coverage.17609/. So the product does exist. Or does it?

That sudden misty look from my computer display makes me wonder if I ordered vaporware...

Sorry, guys/gals, for the bleak update.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered a JL Mopar Hood Lock -- understood to be manufactured by Bolt -- from Moparonlineparts.com in August, 2018. I don't remember what was the promised delivery at that time, but in the following weeks and months the arrival date on the product's web page kept slipping and slipping.

In late Fall I was on the phone with Bolt for another reason, and I asked them about the Hood Lock. They said that they were going back and forth with Jeep on the kit design. At that time, Bolt did not have an estimated delivery date for either the Mopar version or their later-anticipated Bolt-branded version, or more likely, they didn't want to share what they knew--which was their business prerogative. If the product was still being designed or if the design requirements were being changed by one or both parties, first production was just slipping further and further behind market expectations. Unfortunately, unless somebody on the forum knows somebody in the know at Jeep, we have no idea who is at fault in this grossly overdue introduction--as if blame really matters.

Today, since I was having difficulty getting a delivery update on my specific Mopar Hood Lock order from moparonlineparts.com's website, I contacted their Sales e-mail address (N.B.: they don't like phone calls!).

Justin of Moparonlineparts.com responded "The current ETA is showing October."

In rounded terms, that is another half-year from now!

Per this forum, the Bolt Hood Lock was displayed at SEMA last Fall. Many of us have thus seen the Bolt Hood Lock photos on the forum at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...products-build-sema-2018-jlwf-coverage.17609/. So the product does exist. Or does it?

That sudden misty look from my computer display makes me wonder if I ordered vaporware...

Sorry, guys/gals, for the bleak update.
What in the world would take so long? They have had over a year since the JL has been out and now they are saying 10/19? Rampage is going to sell a lot of locking hood latches between now and then. Thanks for the update.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I edited my original post and did some hunting to find a pic of what i assume is the mopar one on a jl. I am under the assumption that the mopar one will need a locksmith. I am basing this assumption on the fact that the mopar locking gas cap is not pre-keyed either.

JEP-82215137-MOPAR-Hood-Lock_1024x1024.jpg
I keyed my own locking gas cap. I also wrote down the code so never again will I sit there and do that.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I keyed my own locking gas cap. I also wrote down the code so never again will I sit there and do that.
I am ordering the like-key locking gas cap also. I watched the video on keying it like your fob. Hopefully it's as straight forward as the video makes it out to be. Where did you buy it from? Quadratech?

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I am ordering the like-key locking gas cap also. I watched the video on keying it like your fob. Hopefully it's as straight forward as the video makes it out to be. Where did you buy it from? Quadratech?
I purchased mine from amazon, actual mopar part. My suggestion is to lay it out just like they do in the video and get ready to play the game! It took me about 10 minutes to get mine done.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I purchased mine from amazon, actual mopar part. My suggestion is to lay it out just like they do in the video and get ready to play the game! It took me about 10 minutes to get mine done.
How much was it on Amazon? I will try getting the part number to see if my parts department can get it. I get a jobber discount so hopefully it's close in price as online.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks for reminding me about the hood locks. I ordered a set from Mopar when I bought my wife's Jeep. They said it would be in come Oct '18, then that became Dec, now it's March and I still don't have it. I'm going in Friday to get my money back.

Got my money back. Bought the Rampage locks. They came in on Tuesday. Going on this weekend...

KIMG1257.JPG

KIMG1258.JPG

KIMG1266.JPG

KIMG1270.JPG

Last edited:

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
How much was it on Amazon? I will try getting the part number to see if my parts department can get it. I get a jobber discount so hopefully it's close in price as online.
Here you go, hope this help.

11AD5F6F-1F34-4050-B2A7-906528A8D003.jpeg
Sponsored