Sponsored

Jeep snobbery - RANT

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Just broke 40,000 miles on the STT Pros yesterday. I believe that I will get at least 55,000 out of them. I have abused them. I have been thinking of posting a long term review about the tires.
How do they do in regular winter conditions below freezing? My next set to replace my Patagonias I really want a 3 peak snow rated tire but would prefer to have a more aggressive tread block. I know there will be compromises in the winter w/ such a tire but if I can safely get around in light snow at colder temps I would go that route. The Pats in the wet & the cold aren't ideal for sure, and I think you're well aware of those shortcomings since you've ran them too.

If the STTs do well in the cold w/ that extended mileage you've been getting they will be in my cart for sure! Might cost 30% more than the Pats but last 2x as long and are a much better off road performer, seems like a no-brainer!
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
How do they do in regular winter conditions below freezing? My next set to replace my Patagonias I really want a 3 peak snow rated tire but would prefer to have a more aggressive tread block. I know there will be compromises in the winter w/ such a tire but if I can safely get around in light snow at colder temps I would go that route. The Pats in the wet & the cold aren't ideal for sure, and I think you're well aware of those shortcomings since you've ran them too.

If the STTs do well in the cold w/ that extended mileage you've been getting they will be in my cart for sure! Might cost 30% more than the Pats but last 2x as long and are a much better off road performer, seems like a no-brainer!
I have drove two winter with them on. Note, I do not drive my JLUR a lot in the winter as my DD is a Shitbox XJ. I have wheeled it many time in the winter though and never really thought that they were bad. Any short coming from the snow is made up for by the Jeep with its traction control and anti lock brakes. At no time though was I like these tires suck on snow covered roads. I have wheeled in deep snow with no issues. I am sure that an A/T tire could out perform them, by how much, I am not sure. One thing is I never worry about getting stuck in the snow with them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep snobbery - RANT 1607090175004

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep snobbery - RANT 1607090287498

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
No real need for a snorkel for Moab or the Rubicon Trail. Get a snorkel because you want it.
My approach is to buy what I need. I research to get the right thing. If the fording at Rubicon height is reasonable, I’ll pass on the snorkel. :)

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
My approach is to buy what I need. I research to get the right thing. If the fording at Rubicon height is reasonable, I’ll pass on the snorkel. :)
I did the Rubicon Trail back in July. The water was about 1 foot deep.

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
Not that I am that old, but what I have learned when it comes to hobbies or areas of entertainment/enjoyment in life, there will always be snobs and gatekeepers around. It sucks and takes away from the social fun, but I find it also pretty easy to just ignore.

I am not a Jeep owner yet, but I hope to be if all works out in the spring, and am pretty excited to try something new and explore some lighter trails as my budget will most likely limit me to a JLU Sport, or more bare bones Sport S, but I don't see any reason I won't be able to have fun with the vehicle.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
I bought an almost new Sport S pretty loaded for $28.5K. The previous owner returned it with less than 1K miles due to a dark cluster. Well the dealership must have been pretty incompetent because it took them 3 months to fix it. Even then they replaced it with a wrong cluster (pre-configured for a Sahara). It then always indicated a fault with the Auto Headlamps of which the Sport trim doesn't have. So instead of replacing it yet again they probably decided to simply dump it just to get it off their lot.

Luckily, I was in the right place at the right time. Can anyone reading this claim that they paid less for their JL? The original sticker price was $37K. So with the $8.5K savings I installed a 2.5" lift, 35's and added sway bar quick disconnects for about half that.

What a great vehicle! You can snob on me all you want. I won't care. Best damn vehicle I've ever owned, open diffs be damned.

I've been on some pretty tough obstacles that I've helped pull up some stock Rubicons. Through it all, I've really appreciated all the very friendly help and advice while knowing full well that I am perhaps 'out-of-my-league' playing with the bad-ass Rubi's on some of these fairly severe trails. I'll leave the extreme stuff for others. I do know my limits.

But that's just from an equipment point of view. Each and every jeeper I've run into anywhere has always been pretty cordial, helpful and typically way cool.

In the world, I see nearly zero snobbery unless it's been subtle or behind my back. The only sense of it is generally on this and other forums. [Anti] social media somehow sometimes brings out the worst in some people.

Regardless, I really hope that everyone is enjoying their JL, independent of trim, as much as I am.

Wheel on fellow Jeepers. It's all good. Enjoy your rig exactly how you have it and let any nay-sayer enjoy their own karma.

Jay

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I bought an almost new Sport S pretty loaded for $28.5K. The previous owner returned it with less than 1K miles due to a dark cluster. Well the dealership must have been pretty incompetent because it took them 3 months to fix it. Even then they replaced it with a wrong cluster (pre-configured for a Sahara). It then always indicated a fault with the Auto Headlamps of which the Sport trim doesn't have. So instead of replacing it yet again they probably decided to simply dump it just to get it off their lot.

Luckily, I was in the right place at the right time. Can anyone reading this claim that they paid less for their JL? The original sticker price was $37K. So with the $8.5K savings I installed a 2.5" lift, 35's and added sway bar quick disconnects for about half that.

What a great vehicle! You can snob on me all you want. I won't care. Best damn vehicle I've ever owned, open diffs be damned.

I've been on some pretty tough obstacles that I've helped pull up some stock Rubicons. Through it all, I've really appreciated all the very friendly help and advice while knowing full well that I am perhaps 'out-of-my-league' playing with the bad-ass Rubi's on some of these fairly severe trails. I'll leave the extreme stuff for others. I do know my limits.

But that's just from an equipment point of view. Each and every jeeper I've run into anywhere has always been pretty cordial, helpful and typically way cool.

In the world, I see nearly zero snobbery unless it's been subtle or behind my back. The only sense of it is generally on this and other forums. [Anti] social media somehow sometimes brings out the worst in some people.

Regardless, I really hope that everyone is enjoying their JL, independent of trim, as much as I am.

Wheel on fellow Jeepers. It's all good. Enjoy your rig exactly how you have it and let any nay-sayer enjoy their own karma.

Jay
Jay, you barely beat me on your deal. Mine was listed at the dealership for $38,700. I bought it for $30,573 - 21% off, $8,127 savings. I also crushed it on my trade-in value. My Jeep JL Sport (base) came with A/C, a Dana 44 rear axle with LSD, 8 speed auto with the 2.0T eTorque engine (that was an extra cost above the 3.6 MT), hard top, Mopar hinge gate reinforcement, 700 amp battery, and some other stuff.

Like you, it now has 5” of lift, quick disconnects, Fox shocks, steel front bumper, 12,000lb winch, aftermarket lights on the bull bar, 33” Toyo Open Country AT tires, and a few lesser items.

I haven’t encountered any snobbery. Every Jeep person I’ve met has been totally cool, friendly, and very helpful. I wheel with Rubis, and we tease each other incessantly, especially when I successfully traverse an obstacle that one of the Rubis wasn’t able to clear. It’s all in great fun and camaraderie!

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep snobbery - RANT 54AA0107-8FA4-4213-A037-749C15E5C798

Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I did the Rubicon Trail back in July. The water was about 1 foot deep.
I'll be going in June, guess I shouldn't worry about it.

cocaine_white

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a Rubicon cause i had every intention of going offroad. That being said i dont care what model you drive. You drive a wrangler, we homies. As long as you dont have rubberband mud terrains 😉

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Secret Squirrel
Honestly I can afford whatever Jeep I want but chose a 2021 4 door Islander.... which is a rebadged sport unlimited with Rubicon rock rails, some extra badging, upgraded alpine sound system, white accents etc... heated seats/steering and led light package.... for me it’s about being smart with my money and not overbuying... let’s face it this is still a 60k (Canadian) vehicle if one paid what the dealer asks (I did not). There was a 80th anniversary edition I liked a bit more but I could not make the deal I wanted on that unit they had... so the islander it was. I don’t have to worry about payments etc like so many do... and I attribute that to years of smart buying.

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I totally agree with you but I have never noticed it. Perhaps I don't care or for whatever reason, in fact, I think I have the best Jeep of anyone around me :) Ef anyone who think otherwise is my attitude!
Sponsored