Jeep snobbery - RANT

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
yea and it may be that higher percentage of Rubicon owners have white collar jobs with more time spent in front of computers , here in Toronto it seems to me I see more new Saharas and Rubicons than Sports and almost all of them 4dr
I have a TJ Sport that has been to hell and back. I just bought a new Rubicon though. Why? I am not into thrashing my jeep anymore like have done in the past. I do, however, live on a mountain and the steep non state roads are a bit spotty with winter plowing. I like getting home after work. The lockers sold me.

Yes, I have a white collar job now. When I bought the Sport, I had a blue collar job. I could afford a sport then and can afford a rubi now. It is simple economics.
Sponsored

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
If it is any consolation: I have close to 30 years of experience in my profession; I have built a very successful career. However, after spending —too much— time online, reading/writing relatively short posts on social media, and watching 5 minute videos, I find my ability for mental concentration to be greatly diminished.

I’ve always been an avid reader; I tried to read a book several times in the last year and I just can’t seem to get engaged enough to read it to the end. Heck, my tolerance for sitting through a video that is more than 15 minutes long is gone!

Technology, our mobile devices, social media and most of what we do these days has us hooked on short stimulus bursts; sort of min-rewards all day long, one after another.

I do worry about young people who grew up in a time when they don’t know any other way.
I don’t have a smart phone, not on social media and my iPad has an hour limit per day because I had stopped reading, and was spending all my time on the internet! So nice to be reading a couple of books at a time, and finishing them! uh oh! Just got my five minute warning! Back to my book!

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
If it is any consolation: I have close to 30 years of experience in my profession; I have built a very successful career. However, after spending —too much— time online, reading/writing relatively short posts on social media, and watching 5 minute videos, I find my ability for mental concentration to be greatly diminished.

I’ve always been an avid reader; I tried to read a book several times in the last year and I just can’t seem to get engaged enough to read it to the end. Heck, my tolerance for sitting through a video that is more than 15 minutes long is gone!

Technology, our mobile devices, social media and most of what we do these days has us hooked on short stimulus bursts; sort of min-rewards all day long, one after another.

I do worry about young people who grew up in a time when they don’t know any other way.
unfortunately I couldn't agree with you more , it just shows us how much the outer environment alters our minds and even though we are well aware of our own mental processes we have extremely difficult time to re bounce to former state of mind ,often driving my "Goes Ahead" Jeep immerses me into pleasant place

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.

I believe that people are far to comfortable talking shit because they have never been punched in the face. Some things deserve a punch to the face even though it rarely happens.

Sponsored

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Sean,

Totally agree to a point.

It is certainly the skill, or even just the willingness and confidence of the driver independent of the level of equipment.

I'd put my bet on a skilled driver in a Sport over a foolish idiot in a Rubi every time.

However, modding my Sport S has really made for a much more positive off-road experience for me. A lot can be said for higher ground clearance from a lift, more grip from wider and larger tires and certainly better traction through articulation from disconnected sway bars. The only thing I don't have (now) are the lockers.

And I have successfully performed various obstacles where some Rubicon's got stuck. Does that mean that Sports are better than Rubi's? Certainly NOT!

Do I wish I had a larger sized wallet to drive around in a bad-ass Recon? You bet. But, on the other hand I also take great pride in my ability to take my open diff Sport to the places I care to go. Difficult to moderately severe trails are certainly in my vocabulary.

Yet, I'm still humble enough to know that I'd struggle and get myself into trouble on anything really severe to extreme. The art in off-roading is to 'know when to say no' based both on your skill and equipment.

Again, I'm really (really) enjoying my lifted Sport S on 35s with the quick sway-bar discos. Will I ever want to go back to stock, nope not off-road. Will I ever trade up to a Rubi? Probably the very same day I hit the lottery.

Still, watching very skilled drivers in truly stock Jeeps is always something to behold.

Clearly however a Rubi would make an unskilled driver able to accomplish the very same things. Pick your Jeep: Stock, doable but harder. Rubi, far easier but $20 to 30K more expensive.

I'll certainly have more respect for the off-roading Sports, just for the added skill required. But, I'll always appreciate and learn from all Jeepers regardless of what they drive.

Jay
We are actually on the same page here. My point wasn't 'you over paid for your Rubi' - you can't get a better showroom stock off roader than the Rubicon imo - but that a stock sport(or Sahara) is not a just a poser in a wrangler costume.

I'm going your route myself - adding the few mods I want to maximize my trail running experience. But I get annoyed with the attitude that it is "substantially' lesser vehicle.

I find great asthetic value in machines that perform the function they were designed for. Some find Wranglers ugly and outdated. I see form fitted to function, and as such I look at all wranglers and smile -from the most basic to the outrageously modded- they are beautiful machines.

20200906_103818.jpg

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
We are actually on the same page here. My point wasn't 'you over paid for your Rubi' - you can't get a better showroom stock off roader than the Rubicon imo - but that a stock sport(or Sahara) is not a just a poser in a wrangler costume.

I'm going your route myself - adding the few mods I want to maximize my trail running experience. But I get annoyed with the attitude that it is "substantially' lesser vehicle.

I find great asthetic value in machines that perform the function they were designed for. Some find Wranglers ugly and outdated. I see form fitted to function, and as such I look at all wranglers and smile -from the most basic to the outrageously modded- they are beautiful machines.

20200906_103818.jpg
FCA wanted to visually separate Rubicon from other Wranglers, to entice buyers to take the leap into the more expensive version, even if they never plan to off-road. FCA makes more money this way. And that strategy is working very well.

It is a matter of personal taste, but I find Rubicon’s exterior a bit over-the-top. I don’t mind the big decals and the red accents everywhere, but when you add the high fenders and all those vents on the hood the overall look is just a bit much.

Personally, I prefer the cleaner, more understated “classic” Jeep look that, fortunately, we can still get on Sport and Sahara.

In fact, I like to keep my Jeep looking as “stock” as possible, so people only notice it when the time comes to kick some ass on the trail... ;)

Last edited:

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I'll admit that I thnk people who judge other people's cars are silly, unless someone shows up at a dragstrip with a stock Trabant.

However, I also have to admit that caring what other people say about your ride looks kinda silly too, unless you bought it to impress other people.

Me, I've been driving jeeps for about 50 years, and I always bought what I could afford and what would do what I needed to do. I don't own a P-bass with flats, either.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
I don't own a P-bass with flats, either.
heretic...

I need to amend my previous post:

"snorkle swinging happens in most any community..."

As for throwing a punch over what someone said - never done it. Many decades ago I was taught that physical response is reserved for when your life is in danger. So far I've been able to talk my way out or walk away. ymmv.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I am just glad snorkels haven’t caught on with Wrangler owners as much as they have on other off-road communities.

When I was on the Tacoma forums, snorkels were swung about like the ultimate proof of manhood.

In fact, a snorkel is one of the few options you can add to a Tacoma TRD Pro. :puke:

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
So you don't really believe in free speech, nor in the concept that words only have the power over you that YOU allow them to have.
I took it as meaning there IS a line that can be crossed.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
So you don't really believe in free speech, nor in the concept that words only have the power over you that YOU allow them to have.
I absolutely believe in free speech. I also believe in consequence for action. I believe in not being an asshole. I believe that if you act like an asshole, you might get punched in the face. That is what I believe. Words.... speech can be just as harmful or more harmful than a punch to the face.

You see I don't worry about getting punched in the face. I don't conduct myself like an asshole. If I would say it on the internet, I would say it to the same persons face. I believe that there are many things worth fighting over.

I always say that mental scares last way longer that physicals scares.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
IMO, we need to show verbal decorum like we show physical restraint.

None of this is to mean that we shouldn't be free to express ourselves. But one of the drawbacks of the Internet is that some people take it to mean that they have free license to say things they wouldn't otherwise say to another person face-to-face.

The written language is very rich; there is no reason to stick to the same dozen words over and over.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
IMO, we need to show verbal restraint like we show physical restraint.

None of this is to mean that we shouldn't be free to express ourselves. But one of the drawbacks of the Internet is that some people take it to mean that they have free license to say things they wouldn't say to another person face-to-face.

The written language is very rich; there is no reason to stick to the same dozen words over and over.

Well said.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
It's pretty ironic when Boomers and Gen-X folks talk so much trash against the millennials. After all, it was their shit parenting which produced that generation and they are also the ones who invented the participation trophy... Just sayin' ;)
Can’t disagree with you in general but my kids would disagree with you on soft touches! They work hard, graduated with honors and have always worked hard and never leached from me or their mother. To this day they still say “yes sir or yes ma’am”. Their kids in turn are driven and up coming sports stars! There is no substitu for good old traditional values.
Sponsored