Retired history teacher
Last edited:

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Ferrariā€™s, Mercedes, yachts, jets, and mansions are ā€œstatus symbolsā€, but not the stuff we regular working stiffs can buy on the deluxe monthly payment plan. I canā€™t imagine anybody considering a Jeep a status symbol. If there are such people I canā€™t imagine caring what they think, but the world certainly is changing.

I saw a new Ford diesel pickup with an MSRP of just under $90,000 this week. That makes it very expensive, for me anyway, but it doesnā€™t make it a status symbol. I doubt most people even notice them or know their cost.

I bought my first new Jeep, a CJ-7, in 1977 when my grandpa died and left me some money. The MSRP On the CJ was just under $7,500, which seemed like a LOT of money to me. I thought I could make money using the Jeep to plow in the winter. Back then housewives didnā€™t drive Jeeps, not every vehicle was four-wheel-drive, and almost everybody bought a four wheel drive for their intended purpose. In that respect Jeeps were like dive watches. I bought a stainless steel Rolex dive watch the same year with what was left from grandpaā€™s money, because I was an avid diver and spear-fisherman, my last three watches had flooded, and the alternatives with similar performance (Doxa and Omega) were close to the same price and not sold nearby. The Rolex was $690, and nobody but my dive-buddies recognized it or seemed to want one. I canā€™t imagine anybody considered it a status symbol at that time, and nobody but divers bought dive watches. It was considered a diverā€™s tool, and a good one, but I canā€™t recall seeing one on anybody who didnā€™t dive, nor do I remember anybody ever noticing it. It was just a watch that didnā€™t leak ā€” and the Jeep was a simple vehicle that was great for plowing in the winter and getting me to hunting, beach diving, and surf-casting in the summer. Most friends wanted a Mustang or a Camero.

Jeep owners waved in the 70s, and even the 80s, but we probably had things in common back then, just as most guys wearing submariners had diving in common. Now everybody and their dog has both, and both have been Infinitely cloned and copied. I see as many non-wheeling, non-fishing, non-outdoorsy, women attached to both ā€” and both items are pricing themselves out of the utility for which they were designed. Itā€™s a shame.

I spent two weeks in Colorado last summer, waiving at every fifth vehicle. Iā€˜d say less that 20% returned the waive. I didnā€™t feel snubbed or disrespected. They just werenā€™t interested. Different times.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Who precisely gets to determine acceptable speech (i.e., verbal decorum) though? On this privately held forum (people keep talking about the internet; I'm speaking to speech in person, primarily)....the site owner has every right to determine the acceptable content....out in the world in a public space (not privately owned public spaces) is a different story.
Each one of us should determine what is "acceptable" language.

I think we are talking about two difference things, though: speech topic and use of language.

Greg Cobble

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
The words that come out of your mouth or originate from your keyboard is exactly what makes you what you are. It is unfortunate that accountability for the keys struck is usually elusive. Words are often selected more carefully face to face only because of accountability, including the possibility of getting your tail kicked for being verbally abusive or disrespectful.
I personally have been on both sides of a "correction", and both were a source of growth. Where I grew up, getting your butt kicked was pretty much expected if you said something stupid enough. The thing about that...you learned to say less stupid things.
Another thing about physical corrections, it is much more painful (and should be) when you get it for showing a lack of courtesy and respect. I enjoyed tournament fighting(martial arts) for 6 years, and losing in a ring is just like losing a golf match. BUT, when you get your butt kicked for saying things you know should not have been said, if you are a man of integrity (yes, even those men can be stupid) it hurts...you reflect on it...you learn from it.
The world would be a better place if everyone had to be accountable for what they say and type. The world would be a better place if when you quit being courteous and respectful, you physically got put in your place.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
This thread is ridiculous.
Are there many Wrangler owners that sensitive?? I dont think so. Or, I hope not. Sticks and Stones people.
Man up guys, and stop being such "Snowflakes" . Hell, I've raised two girls that get their feelings hurt less than some here.
Boo hoo, someone doesnt like my model of Wrangler. So what!!!
Here is a participation trophy :jk: for owning a non-Rubicon Wrangler, now stop wining and go 4Wheeling.

Last edited:

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Here is a participation trophy:)jk:) for owning a non-Rubicon Wrangler, now stop wining and go 4Wheeling.
That made me laugh, thanks!
And my Broncos just won too, and that made me laugh~good times!

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Greg Cobble

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
And who, in the specific instances of person to person speech, gets to make the determination as to what is deemed courteous and respectful?

Let me give you a brief test:

These questions pertain to child-rearing: whether it is more important for you to have a child who is respectful or independent; obedient or self-reliant; well-behaved or considerate; and well-mannered or curious.
Man, I gave my opinion and now you want to give me a test. What might give you the tiniest of a hint that I might give one flying flip what you are looking for in a test of me or anyone else? My last test that I took added the word Doctor to my degree. Tester, how many of those do you have??
I guess somebody has to make the most idiotic post on every site, and the last one you made has to be a strong candidate.
As you continue to make every effort to eloquently use the English language, before your next writing lesson try to think about what you are saying. Trying to be the smartest guy in the room is not serving you well.
Give me a test...you gave me a laugh Dude.

Sponsored

foxredlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
I believe that people are far to comfortable talking shit because they have never been punched in the face. Some things deserve a punch to the face even though it rarely happens.
I have on occasion witnessed my share of condescending know-it-alls get punched in the mouth. I donā€™t condone that behavior, but I would venture to guess that the gentleman from AZ has been punched in the mouth on more than one occasion. Carry on.

Greg Cobble

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
And one more question: Is it fair to say that you felt my simple questions were neither courteous nor respectful? ;)

:CWL:
Sport, you have not provided any content that would validate you have the resources to ask anything but simple questions. Lastly, if you think the wink is cute keep practicing it in the mirror and entertain yourself. It does not entertain me Sir! Like most of your post (at least on this subject), your passive aggression exhibits weakness on your part and a lack of respect for others. Sean, I did not in any way call you out personally. Where are you wanting to take this?
Greg

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
A Jeep is a Jeep. Period. End of story. The JLURD I have is the 8th jeep I have owned since 1973. I honestly don't care what kids of Jeep you have or how you use it. Your Jeep, your choice. I personally don't care about snobbery because it doesn't effect me. I just passed the 70 year old mark and have seen this kind of nonsense before and in the end, don't matter. I say enjoy what you have. Other people's opinions are not going to change a single thing in your life, unless you allow it. My Jeep has been off road twice since I bought it. Not because that was my desire, but the covid19 first shut down the desert and then got to hot for me. But I am planning on wheeling really soon. Bottom line, you bought your Jeep, enjoy it in any way you want (not destroying yourself or others), mall crawling or rock crawling. Enjoy what you're hard earned cash provided.
Well said Mike- I too am over the 70 mark and I now own my second Jeep; a JLURD too. I run conservative set up with stock wheels and 35ā€™s. Awaiting a 2ā€ mopar lift that may never come!! My wife and I run the eastern Oregon desert 6-7 times a year and I have been to Death Valley 5 times with my old Land Rover Defender which I sold 2 years ago. I hope to contin wheeling and overlanding till Iā€™m 80!! Happy trails sir-