First Name
Aldo
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
No, I have (my intake is under the dash where I can physically see how close the water is to it)...I just realize that a "snorkle" alone doesn't make one waterproof and most tool bags that run them haven't sealed any of their electrical system so shit goes south when they go deep anyway.

But you go on with your bad self, snorkle boy. :CWL: :like:
The poor fellow is clearly unable to see your sig and avatar.

He must be typing from a Motorola flip phone with a broken screen... :LOL:

Advertisement

Kyanche

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I totally agree with you, and I find myself guilty of making fun of Sahara owners. But also a few rubi owners.

I live in LA and this place is infested with mall crawlers. I moved from VT to CA a few years ago and was surprised at the amount of people driving new cars, people here spend so much on image. They might live in a shithole and own a recon.
I owned a Sahara and bought a Rubicon because I wanted one. Image? Nah. At work the cool offroad people have Raptors and TRD Pros (turd pros? lol) and a few older SUVs. It drives like a dump truck but I enjoy that in our crappy traffic and I love the way it looks. Before I started working from home I drove like 50 miles a week lol, so I wasn't concerned about gas expenses or anything. If I hadn't purchased the Jeep, I probably would have purchased a Porsche or a Charger SRT8 or something.

Not saying I wouldn't mind taking it on a roadtrip to some place really cool, if I had time!

Hey what's with the extremely judgemental crowd anyway? When I see another Jeep I'm thinking "that person has good taste!" or "wow that's a cool jeep!" not "I wonder when the last time is they took that off road. HRMPh. NOT WORTHY!"

Anyway, if we're going to get all judgemental and decide who deserves to own a Jeep, it's the people who buy a base model Sport with no AC and then modify the shit out of it. Even better if they custom fabricated the parts from their own welding rig lol.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 1500 2019 Jl Sport
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Dick swinging happens in any community of interest/practice. For instance, I've been active for a long time on a bass guitar forum. Invariably there are those that routinely rant about expensive instruments - "waste of money", "poser", etc. Others will look down on those with cheap or "beginner" instruments. Some decry certain styles or techniques - "real players don't use picks", etc.

I have a pretty much stock Sport. In my neighborhood there are two JK owners with fairly modified rigs who regularly off-road. Zero attitude from either of them towards me or my Sport.

In any case, any population of people will have some who are cool and some who are dicks. Some are welcoming, some are exclusionary. Same as it ever was...
You mean you dont feel totally driven to find a vintage P in sunburst with a tort guard and flats?? What a poser!! :like:

nostatic

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
You mean you dont feel totally driven to find a vintage P in sunburst with a tort guard and flats?? What a poser!! :like:
Only if it has clay dots and orange drop cap...

nostatic

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
...and your position on ABGs?
like you need to ask...what part of "firewood" don't you understand? :LOL:

Now if you'll excuse me I'm late for hernia surgery. But you'll have to pry my SVT from my cold dead hands...

(full disclosure - been gigging class D heads for about a decade :lipssealed:)

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
yea and it may be that higher percentage of Rubicon owners have white collar jobs with more time spent in front of computers , here in Toronto it seems to me I see more new Saharas and Rubicons than Sports and almost all of them 4dr
I have a TJ Sport that has been to hell and back. I just bought a new Rubicon though. Why? I am not into thrashing my jeep anymore like have done in the past. I do, however, live on a mountain and the steep non state roads are a bit spotty with winter plowing. I like getting home after work. The lockers sold me.

Yes, I have a white collar job now. When I bought the Sport, I had a blue collar job. I could afford a sport then and can afford a rubi now. It is simple economics.

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
If it is any consolation: I have close to 30 years of experience in my profession; I have built a very successful career. However, after spending —too much— time online, reading/writing relatively short posts on social media, and watching 5 minute videos, I find my ability for mental concentration to be greatly diminished.

I’ve always been an avid reader; I tried to read a book several times in the last year and I just can’t seem to get engaged enough to read it to the end. Heck, my tolerance for sitting through a video that is more than 15 minutes long is gone!

Technology, our mobile devices, social media and most of what we do these days has us hooked on short stimulus bursts; sort of min-rewards all day long, one after another.

I do worry about young people who grew up in a time when they don’t know any other way.
I don’t have a smart phone, not on social media and my iPad has an hour limit per day because I had stopped reading, and was spending all my time on the internet! So nice to be reading a couple of books at a time, and finishing them! uh oh! Just got my five minute warning! Back to my book!

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
If it is any consolation: I have close to 30 years of experience in my profession; I have built a very successful career. However, after spending —too much— time online, reading/writing relatively short posts on social media, and watching 5 minute videos, I find my ability for mental concentration to be greatly diminished.

I’ve always been an avid reader; I tried to read a book several times in the last year and I just can’t seem to get engaged enough to read it to the end. Heck, my tolerance for sitting through a video that is more than 15 minutes long is gone!

Technology, our mobile devices, social media and most of what we do these days has us hooked on short stimulus bursts; sort of min-rewards all day long, one after another.

I do worry about young people who grew up in a time when they don’t know any other way.
unfortunately I couldn't agree with you more , it just shows us how much the outer environment alters our minds and even though we are well aware of our own mental processes we have extremely difficult time to re bounce to former state of mind ,often driving my "Goes Ahead" Jeep immerses me into pleasant place

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Sean,

Totally agree to a point.

It is certainly the skill, or even just the willingness and confidence of the driver independent of the level of equipment.

I'd put my bet on a skilled driver in a Sport over a foolish idiot in a Rubi every time.

However, modding my Sport S has really made for a much more positive off-road experience for me. A lot can be said for higher ground clearance from a lift, more grip from wider and larger tires and certainly better traction through articulation from disconnected sway bars. The only thing I don't have (now) are the lockers.

And I have successfully performed various obstacles where some Rubicon's got stuck. Does that mean that Sports are better than Rubi's? Certainly NOT!

Do I wish I had a larger sized wallet to drive around in a bad-ass Recon? You bet. But, on the other hand I also take great pride in my ability to take my open diff Sport to the places I care to go. Difficult to moderately severe trails are certainly in my vocabulary.

Yet, I'm still humble enough to know that I'd struggle and get myself into trouble on anything really severe to extreme. The art in off-roading is to 'know when to say no' based both on your skill and equipment.

Again, I'm really (really) enjoying my lifted Sport S on 35s with the quick sway-bar discos. Will I ever want to go back to stock, nope not off-road. Will I ever trade up to a Rubi? Probably the very same day I hit the lottery.

Still, watching very skilled drivers in truly stock Jeeps is always something to behold.

Clearly however a Rubi would make an unskilled driver able to accomplish the very same things. Pick your Jeep: Stock, doable but harder. Rubi, far easier but $20 to 30K more expensive.

I'll certainly have more respect for the off-roading Sports, just for the added skill required. But, I'll always appreciate and learn from all Jeepers regardless of what they drive.

Jay
We are actually on the same page here. My point wasn't 'you over paid for your Rubi' - you can't get a better showroom stock off roader than the Rubicon imo - but that a stock sport(or Sahara) is not a just a poser in a wrangler costume.

I'm going your route myself - adding the few mods I want to maximize my trail running experience. But I get annoyed with the attitude that it is "substantially' lesser vehicle.

I find great asthetic value in machines that perform the function they were designed for. Some find Wranglers ugly and outdated. I see form fitted to function, and as such I look at all wranglers and smile -from the most basic to the outrageously modded- they are beautiful machines.

20200906_103818.jpg

OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
We are actually on the same page here. My point wasn't 'you over paid for your Rubi' - you can't get a better showroom stock off roader than the Rubicon imo - but that a stock sport(or Sahara) is not a just a poser in a wrangler costume.

I'm going your route myself - adding the few mods I want to maximize my trail running experience. But I get annoyed with the attitude that it is "substantially' lesser vehicle.

I find great asthetic value in machines that perform the function they were designed for. Some find Wranglers ugly and outdated. I see form fitted to function, and as such I look at all wranglers and smile -from the most basic to the outrageously modded- they are beautiful machines.

20200906_103818.jpg
FCA wanted to visually separate Rubicon from other Wranglers, to entice buyers to take the leap into the more expensive version, even if they never plan to off-road. FCA makes more money this way. And that strategy is working very well.

It is a matter of personal taste, but I find Rubicon’s exterior a bit over-the-top. I don’t mind the big decals and the red accents everywhere, but when you add the high fenders and all those vents on the hood the overall look is just a bit much.

Personally, I prefer the cleaner, more understated “classic” Jeep look that, fortunately, we can still get on Sport and Sahara.

In fact, I like to keep my Jeep looking as “stock” as possible, so people only notice it when the time comes to kick some ass on the trail... ;)

Last edited:

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
I believe that people are far to comfortable talking shit because they have never been punched in the face. Some things deserve a punch to the face even though it rarely happens.
So you don't really believe in free speech, nor in the concept that words only have the power over you that YOU allow them to have.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 1500 2019 Jl Sport
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I'll admit that I thnk people who judge other people's cars are silly, unless someone shows up at a dragstrip with a stock Trabant.

However, I also have to admit that caring what other people say about your ride looks kinda silly too, unless you bought it to impress other people.

Me, I've been driving jeeps for about 50 years, and I always bought what I could afford and what would do what I needed to do. I don't own a P-bass with flats, either.

Advertisement

Mac Haik CDJR Georgetown

Advertisement