Jeep snobbery - RANT

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
As @entropy says above, the JL Rubicon around Park City is certainly a status symbol; nearly as much as the G-wagens. So many people buy the Rubicon Recon loaded only because it is the most expensive Wrangler, whether or not that's what suits their needs.
I'm not far from you here in Taylorsville, and sometimes in Ivins (St. George). I'm an avid bicyclist too and I think there is an analogy to be had. There are many "cyclists" out there that commit to doing a triathlon, then buying the highest tech Tri-Bike they can find at 10K+. They train a little, sometimes complete a tri, but mainly ride around with the tri-bike on there roof racks (and there's nothing wrong with that). I don't think the amount you spend on your jeep (or to modify your jeep) has anything to do with how you actually use your jeep. I've seen way too many Jeeps around here that don't get off road much, but have a tons of "off-road" mods. I bought a Sport S. It's probably way more capable than I am right now (first Jeep). But... I might (or might not) modify the hell out of it anyway, just for fun. ;)
No one should be hatin'.
Sponsored

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
A Jeep is a Jeep!

Well, except for the Renegade. And the Compass. Oh, and that stupid Patriot. Ok, maybe Cherokees are kinda a Jeep. But only the ones with 2-doors. And can we talk colors - I mean seriously, silver?!?!

Wait a minute, what was the question?

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
My 74 CJ5 was quite a chore at times, that compound low T19 w/ that shifter seemingly 3ft long, and trying to really clunk it into 4 lo at times brings back some vivid memories.

I do like the fact that my Sport S still has that 4lo that fights back at times when jamming it in there, if it was too easy it would seem like I'm cheating. Bad enough that you don't have to get-out & lock 'em anymore :)
I love the hard clunk into 4L, but actually I'm an old Scout guy from back in 76-90ish.
If they ever brought back Scouts in true form, I might have to trade my Jeep. :CWL::like:

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
7 pages and numerous comments on people who don’t wheel their Jeep’s and they’re mall crawlers.

I’ve said it before on a few threads and say it again. A wrangler is just fun to drive. It’s different from pretty much any other vehicle. Nothing compares.

So why does everyone think a Jeep needs to be off-road all the time. Why am I a mall crawler since I don’t off-road? Get over this stigma for all of you out there.

There are so many reasons to buy a Wrangler. Going off-road is most likely one of the reasons lower on the main driver behind getting one. Shiz is crazy if you think this is the end all be all.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A Jeep is a Jeep!

Well, except for the Renegade. And the Compass. Oh, and that stupid Patriot. Ok, maybe Cherokees are kinda a Jeep. But only the ones with 2-doors. And can we talk colors - I mean seriously, silver?!?!

Wait a minute, what was the question?
My brother had a 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk. That thing was in the shop so often that it could drive itself to the dealership on its own! To add insult to injury, the 9-speed transmission died the day after the warranty expired. What a POS!

They now own a 2019 Compass. It is nothing exciting, but at least it doesn't leave them stranded every other week.

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I drove my Sport on trails that most Rubicon owners wouldn't when it was stock. I drive my Sport now on trails Rubicons can't go as easily because my Sport is nowhere near stock. My lowly Sport is more capable than a Rubicon.

It still says "Sport" on it. I dont give a fuck if people judge me because they are in a Rubicon and think they are better than me. Trail performance is way more important to me than a sticker on the hood.

SouthLeb

First Name
Rame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS punk'n
A wrangler is like a nice dive watch...I don't have to go saturation diving to enjoy the watch.
Enjoy driving it on and off road

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Respect the sig. I come from wheeling some hardcore terrain in my blazer all across Texas. I ain’t got time for no Jeep waves. :devil::LOL:
I had a 73 Blazer, it was the biggest POS I've ever owned, and I've owned some epic POS's :)
72 Blazers were cut from a different cloth though, those are much stouter!

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
A wrangler is like a nice dive watch...I don't have to go saturation diving to enjoy the watch.
Enjoy driving it on and off road
I like your analogy. I’ve put about 9,000 in extra goodies on my Recon. I’ve only been off-roading four days out of the six months I’ve owned it. I could get by with a less capable rig....but I like knowing I have extra capability. It’s my money and I really don’t care what others think....and neither should the many Sahara drivers on this board.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve owned three jeeps (‘06 TJ, ‘94 YJ and now a ‘19 JLR) and it’s still hard for me to see the 4 door as anything other than a compromise that exists to keep the wrangler alive. For that I’m grateful, and I don’t give anyone shit for buying a 4 door, but it does make me sad to see so many of them everywhere because it just reminds me that the 2 door’s days are numbered. Same sentiment for the manual trans.

If that makes me elitist, so be it... I just hate to see what I grew up on disappear.

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
You come across that mentality in any enthusiast vehicle. Unfortunately, there will always be many one uppers full of their thoughts and opinions. If I could do it all over again, I should have picked up a Sahara or Sport. I purchased mine based on the fact that I didn't see myself getting the itch which knowing myself through the years was a fools decision. My original intention was to keep it fairly basic and now I see a deeper build into my future. I could have saved a lot going a different path. Anywho, I don't see the need to bash others. I am a first time Jeep owner, and have grew up around them since my old man was into them. Hell I still kick myself in the ass for not taking his before he passed away. I give the wave, and honestly most Jeep owners are great to meet whether its to talk shop, or just bs about anything.

I met a younger JLU owner who came down and purchased my stock Rubi wheels and tires. Its been about a year or so, and we still chat here and there talking about each others build and throw ideas back and forth. At the end of the day, it's not about keeping up with the status quo. Enjoy your Jeep regardless of your intentions for it. You paid for it.

On side note, last week I stopped at IN and Out and the kid in the drive through taking my order says, "do you even off road that thing?" Mind you I am in my truck, and I just say, "nah.. I take the a flat head screw driver to my bead lock rings and scar the shit out of them, then peel my bed sides so it looks like I do." Then he points to his pristine looking 1st gen Raptor and says, "hit me up sometime I have 40 acres and a baja track.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I could have bought any jeep I wanted (cash) and ended up with my yellow JL Sport S. It had what I wanted/needed and I like it.

I'm guessing at some point people might laugh at a guy with a yellow Jeep but I don't care.

Being happy in your own skin is what it's all about in this world for me. :jk:
I’m definitely comfortable in yellow... oh wait, it’s cause I’m Asian :LOL:
Sponsored