alexccs

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
All,

I need some help installing the Tazer JL Mini on 2021 JL Rubicon.
This are the steps I’ve taken and it’s not working…..

1. Install Z Automotive Programmer
2. Update firmware to the the latest one, 11.13.1
3. Unplugged the 2 connectors behind the knee panel
4. Connect the 2 connectors to the Tazer JL Mini. (FYI - The Tazer JL Mini doesn’t light up when plugging the 2 connectors)
5. Turn ignition to Run position, but the radio nor the 8.4 screen lights up
6. I was able to go to the Audio menu on the dashboard, but nothing works, when pressing the 2 buttons on the wheel.
Has anybody experienced any of this issues?

Thanks in advanced.
Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
All,

I need some help installing the Tazer JL Mini on 2021 JL Rubicon.
This are the steps I’ve taken and it’s not working…..

1. Install Z Automotive Programmer
2. Update firmware to the the latest one, 11.13.1
3. Unplugged the 2 connectors behind the knee panel
4. Connect the 2 connectors to the Tazer JL Mini. (FYI - The Tazer JL Mini doesn’t light up when plugging the 2 connectors)
5. Turn ignition to Run position, but the radio nor the 8.4 screen lights up
6. I was able to go to the Audio menu on the dashboard, but nothing works, when pressing the 2 buttons on the wheel.
Has anybody experienced any of this issues?

Thanks in advanced.
The Tazer should blink as soon as you hook it up (even with ignition in the off position). Try unplugging it and plug it back in firmly and see if the Tazer starts blinking.

OP
OP
alexccs

alexccs

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
The Tazer should blink as soon as you hook it up (even with ignition in the off position). Try unplugging it and plug it back in firmly and see if the Tazer starts blinking.
Honestly, I’ve tried about 4 times and it never blinked.
it did blinked though when i hooked it to my laptop via USB cable.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Honestly, I’ve tried about 4 times and it never blinked.
it did blinked though when i hooked it to my laptop via USB cable.
@alexccs

Did you hook the Tazer JL Mini up to the correct connection points on your 2021 JL?

Perhaps you hooked the Tazer JL Mini up to the connectors for the amp that are similar and that reside just ahead of the security gateway connectors you need to use for the Tazer JL Mini.

If that is not the issue....

You are going to have to contact ZAutomotive in regard to this issue.

You can text Joe @ ZAutomotive and ask him for assistance.... TEXT, Joe at 631-533-3363
He'll get back at you...... usually takes a few hrs. for his reply. Do NOT call this number.

From Z's website.... you can also Form message them there ..
https://www.zautomotive.com/contact-us/

You can also go to the ZAutomotive Facebook page and message them from there.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@alexccs

Here is a video that very clearly points out the amplifier connect points and also points out the security gateway and it's connect points that you use with the Tazer JL Mini. As I mentioned I think you may have attached your Tazer JL Mini to the wrong connectors.... you probably attached to the connectors for the amp.

Anyway watch the first few minutes of this video.. NO, I do not recommend the AutoStop Eliminator shown in the video that is used to deal with ESS. For working with ESS, I always recommend the SmartStopStart unit or a Tazer JL Mini.

Sponsored

OP
OP
alexccs

alexccs

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
@alexccs

Did you hook the Tazer JL Mini up to the correct connection points on your 2021 JL?

Perhaps you hooked the Tazer JL Mini up to the connectors for the amp that are similar and that reside just ahead of the security gateway connectors you need to use for the Tazer JL Mini.

You can text Joe @ ZAutomotive and ask him for assistance.... TEXT, Joe at 631-533-3363
He'll get back at you...... usually takes a few hrs. for his reply. Do NOT call this number.

Thanks for getting back to me. I did already sent them
@alexccs

I’ll contact Joe.But I’m pretty sure I’m connecting it to the right place.
Jeep Wrangler JL Issues installing Tazer JL Mini 55BD59D2-1685-4D4C-B99F-0F2413408D92

JLPilot

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Looks like you have the cables installed in the right place. I just went through something similiar. It was entirely aggravating, as I used a Mac and it didn’t work- couldn't/wouldn’t recognize the Taser.. It wasn’t until I switched to a Windows machine that the Windows version of the utility recognized the Taser and updated it, but only to 11.3.0, not the latest, 11.3.1, even though I tried to update it to the latest version 4-5 times. Anyhow, the Taser is awesome and I’ll never drive the Jeep again without it- too many goodies you’re gonna love… I just wish they’d make the programming utility a little less buggy 😊

OP
OP
alexccs

alexccs

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Looks like you have the cables installed in the right place. I just went through something similiar. It was entirely aggravating, as I used a Mac and it didn’t work- couldn't/wouldn’t recognize the Taser.. It wasn’t until I switched to a Windows machine that the Windows version of the utility recognized the Taser and updated it, but only to 11.3.0, not the latest, 11.3.1, even though I tried to update it to the latest version 4-5 times. Anyhow, the Taser is awesome and I’ll never drive the Jeep again without it- too many goodies you’re gonna love… I just wish they’d make the programming utility a little less buggy 😊
Thanks for your input. On my side, I’m using a windows machine and it actually took the 11.3.1. When it wasn’t working, i plugged it back in to the windows machine using the USB cable and tried to update to 11.3.1, and it show me that it had the latest firmware already updated.

JLPilot

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Almost sounding like a hardware issue with the Taser if it’s not lit/blinking. I used the recovery portion of the programmer utility and that worked, however my lights were already on/blinking. I’d wait to hear back from ZAutomotive for your next steps.

Don Gilmer

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
So I just got my Tazer mini and I seem to be having issues seating the connectors fully to the point the clip latches. I am also not getting the light lit but believe my connections aren't made. Did anyone else have issues with pins lining up or the connector not fully seating? Yes, I am sure I am on the right cables and no I am not using a SGW extension cable. I am afraid to apply "full force" on the connector because I don't believe it should take that much force.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I just got my Tazer mini and I seem to be having issues seating the connectors fully to the point the clip latches. I am also not getting the light lit but believe my connections aren't made. Did anyone else have issues with pins lining up or the connector not fully seating? Yes, I am sure I am on the right cables and no I am not using a SGW extension cable. I am afraid to apply "full force" on the connector because I don't believe it should take that much force.
@Don Gilmer

When you insert the males into the Tazer JL Mini, you will not find the Tazer JL Mini.... clicking onto / or latching onto those 2 males.. Just carefully line up the appropriate male and push in firmly.

Read all of this thread if you have not done so. Reach out to Joe via Text if you need to..

Is your JL ignition set to run...

Don Gilmer

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Took another look at it. Checked everything with the ignition on. Checked the SGW fuse. The female connectors are 3/4" deep and the pins are about 1/4" tall. My connectors only go in about 1/2". Now for "the talk". Very little wiggle to try and align pins. This tells me my male connectors don't align with the females and the pins are not mating up. The 12-pin connector seats better than the 8-pin but neither really fully seat. I previously had an Autostop Eliminator that connected correctly and my male connectors align fine to the factory SGW females. I was able to update the Tazer via the USB cable with no issue. Pictures to follow and I plan to contact Joe/ZAutomotive for assistance.

IMG_9366.jpg

IMG_9368.jpg

IMG_9369.jpg

IMG_9370.jpg

IMG_9371.jpg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took another look at it. Checked everything with the ignition on. Checked the SGW fuse. The female connectors are 3/4" deep and the pins are about 1/4" tall. My connectors only go in about 1/2". Now for "the talk". Very little wiggle to try and align pins. This tells me my male connectors don't align with the females and the pins are not mating up. The 12-pin connector seats better than the 8-pin but neither really fully seat. I previously had an Autostop Eliminator that connected correctly and my male connectors align fine to the factory SGW females. I was able to update the Tazer via the USB cable with no issue. Pictures to follow and I plan to contact Joe/ZAutomotive for assistance.

Jeep Wrangler JL Issues installing Tazer JL Mini IMG_9371

@Don Gilmer

Remembered you were having some problems. Did you get this worked out...

Did it end up being the SGW 5a fuse that was the culprit:?

Don Gilmer

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
@Don Gilmer

Remembered you were having some problems. Did you get this worked out...

Did it end up being the SGW 5a fuse that was the culprit:?
Nope. Could not connect the Tazer even to their SGW extension cable. Contacted zautomotive for support and they are replacing the unit. They said they had a few go out with a bad plastic mold. The new one will arrive next week.

Mandosjeep

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL
Nope. Could not connect the Tazer even to their SGW extension cable. Contacted zautomotive for support and they are replacing the unit. They said they had a few go out with a bad plastic mold. The new one will arrive next week.
Did the replacement unit work? Did you get it to blink when plugged into Jeep finally?
Sponsored