Tazer JL Mini Issues - Dash light stays on

VikingJL

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
So after the most recent Tazer update my dash does not shut off unless I lock the doors. Is anyone else having this issue? It drained my battery because of this unfortunately.

I have never had a problem with the Tazer after a year of using it. I always follow the reboot protocols to the T so i'm not sure what the deal is. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored

radiowing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport
Yes! I am having this problem as well. Sometimes the dash goes off- sometimes not. As noted, locking the doors with keyfob will ensure that the dash goes off. It is annoying to have to worry about locking the doors all of the time though for my garage kept JL (2022 Sport). I contacted Z-automotive tech support and they asked me to do the reboot procedure a few more times. It did not help, unfortunately.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

@VikingJL & @radiowing, the symptoms you both describe are indicative of not properly performing the full reboots and sleep cycles properly.

I suggest you both unmarry your Tazers, re-marry, make your changes and follow the reboot and sleep cycles exactly.

https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/TazerJLMiniUserGuide1137.pdf

• After making all of your changes, scroll to “full reboot?” and “select” it.
• After the countdown, perform two sleep cycles.
• The quickest way to do this is to turn the ignition off, close the driver’s door and wait about 60 seconds AFTER the dash goes dark, turn the ignition on (but not the engine). Do this twice. I suggest that after turning the ignition to off, exiting the vehicle and watching for the dash to go dark. Then walk away from the vehicle with your key for about 5 minutes. This ensures the vehicle goes to sleep. Then go back to the vehicle, and follow the process a second time.
• This step is critical after changing settings or settings might not save or you may find that the dash doesn’t shut down, which can result in a dead battery.

radiowing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport
Thanks so much for your response and suggestions @jludave! Yes, those were the suggestions I got via email from tech support. I really feel like I followed those directions carefully multiple times - except the "walk away from your vehicle with the key for 5 minutes" part. I did not see that detail previously (I don't see it in the version 11.3.7 user guide) and will give it a try and report back. Thanks again.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

except the "walk away from your vehicle with the key for 5 minutes" part. I did not see that detail previously (I don't see it in the version 11.3.7 user guide)
That is not part of the "official" instructions. It's just a good step to take to be 100% sure the vehicle goes to sleep.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
This is not a fix for a Tazer that keeps the vehicle from shutting down properly.
Worked for me after I had installed a tazer. Obviously not a permanent fix.

BKLYNJeep23

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting Patiently
i think it says in the instruction manual that you need to do two full sleep cycles after installing or the lights may stay on..look at the newest instruction manual

radiowing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport
i think it says in the instruction manual that you need to do two full sleep cycles after installing or the lights may stay on..look at the newest instruction manual
Thanks for chiming in! Yes, absolutely agree this is a clear step in the instruction manual. I followed those instructions (and it looks like the OP did as well based on the original post) several times and was still having the issue intermittently. Based on the response from @jludave, I tried it again with his additional suggestion of walking away from the vehicle with the key for 5 minutes during the sleep cycle steps. It has been 3 days and so far so good- no incidents of the dash staying on so far. Here are the complete steps I took-
1) Unmarry Tazer
2) Marry Tazer
3) Reboot Tazer
4) Perform 2 full sleep cycles (walking away with key for 5 minutes)
5) Make changes to settings that I want
6) Reboot Tazer
7) Perform 2 full sleep cycles (walking away with key for 5 minutes)

I'll check back in to the thread with any updates as to my success.

Sponsored

BKLYNJeep23

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting Patiently
Thanks for chiming in! Yes, absolutely agree this is a clear step in the instruction manual. I followed those instructions (and it looks like the OP did as well based on the original post) several times and was still having the issue intermittently. Based on the response from @jludave, I tried it again with his additional suggestion of walking away from the vehicle with the key for 5 minutes during the sleep cycle steps. It has been 3 days and so far so good- no incidents of the dash staying on so far. Here are the complete steps I took-
1) Unmarry Tazer
2) Marry Tazer
3) Reboot Tazer
4) Perform 2 full sleep cycles (walking away with key for 5 minutes)
5) Make changes to settings that I want
6) Reboot Tazer
7) Perform 2 full sleep cycles (walking away with key for 5 minutes)

I'll check back in to the thread with any updates as to my success.
I think the proximity sensor for the key is what causes you to have to walk away for a little while because I think if it senses the key, it will not completely shut down. Glad you were able to solve the problem.

BIGW0RM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Raptor // 22 M3 Comp X // 20 RRS
Does anyone know what you can change on the DRL location in tazer? What are the options/choices you can change too?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
And what happened to the Joe guy? He hasn't posted in years. Why???
@BigWorm

ZAutomotive is no longer (for quite a while actually) a forum sponsor so Joe and or his staff are no longer posting on this forum.

If you have Tazer JL questions, ask fellow Tazer JL user's here .... and or reach out to ZAutomotive, via text message or via form messaging at the ZAutomotive website.

When you text message, the text is usually ..... more often then not replied to by Joe Z., If not it is one of his workers.. NO, it is not a "bot text" replying to the text you sent to ZAutomotive.

Text Joe @ ZAutomotive and ask him for assistance.... TEXT, Joe at 631-533-3363 He'll get back at you...... usually takes a few hrs. for his reply. Do NOT call this number. Joe and his worker Ian are both terrific to deal...

OP
OP
VikingJL

VikingJL

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Thank you everyone for the help. I am going to try again using the walking away method because I was not doing that before. However, I am still haunted by the fact my battery could die again. Gonna keep a close eye on it this time around. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks.
Sponsored