Is Bronco worth the wait?

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Not so sure about this. Some people still complain about the way how the Wrangler drives/handles and the new Bronco could make them happier. A downgrade would be for a rock crawler but a mall crawler (like most of the people out there) would be happier with a Bronco and it's IFS.
You do make a good point. But you always have to feel bad for those guys because the mall crawler stage only lasts so long, and then theyre sitting there wishing they didnt put 22x12s on their budget lifted rig because theyre curious as hell to try it off road but by then its too late.
Sponsored

L1011

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 4R but hoping for a JLU
The mid-cycle redesign is right around the corner; it should be coming out by this time next year.

I sure hope Jeep doesn't rush to adopt Bronco's frameless windows and crossbar-less roll cage. That would be a huge mistake.
Sounds like it won't be available until the 2023 model year?

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I would say no for the simple reason, their scam marketing where you have to put a "reservation" deposit, 2 years in advance, that is pure BS!

If Jeep pulled that, the folks on this forum would be up in arms.

Bronco will sell to Ford folks, those who want the iconic Jeep probably will buy a Wrangler.

I looked at one a few weeks back, dont care for the exterior styling, and the interior was 90s vintage playschool plastic crap, Ford needs to terminate their interior designers. The fit and finish was terrible and the soft top did not fit correctly, wrinkles on the side panels.

Per the 10 spd, GM used it one year in their trucks and it wqs so bad they went back to their own 8 spd autos. That should tell you all you need to know, and note Ford was the lead on the design of the 10spd.
My wife was originally interested in a 2 door Badlands. We didn't sweat the $100 reservation cost, but it did seem chinsy of Ford, wanting to raise capital long before starting production. But whatever. Than the hype started getting replaced with an ever increasing amount of gloomy reality. Several months after the $100, the local dealer contacted her for build details. After well over an hour on the phone, wading through all the options and how each one affects the next, she finally got her build sorted. Here's where the rub showed its ugly face. They wouldn't submit her build sheet without a $5000 deposit. Fortunately, she left them hanging on it to 1st get my opinion. A week or so later, I read of the 1st of what's now a handful of delays. $5100 out of pocket, and more than likely not see it for a couple of years? Feel free to blow my dog, Ford!

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
Might I ask what the issue with frameless doors would be? That's one of the things that I think Bronco has the Wrangler beat on. All the good of half doors w/o the weirdness of uppers?

As far as the roll cage, I can take it or leave it either way. Open sky would be pretty cool, but speaker above the head is great too!

I'm hoping for two more freedom panels - we have a roll bar to make the rattle not happen!
watch Doug Demuros video he mentioned the flaw they have.

Sponsored

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
My wife was originally interested in a 2 door Badlands. We didn't sweat the $100 reservation cost, but it did seem chinsy of Ford, wanting to raise capital long before starting production. But whatever. Than the hype started getting replaced with an ever increasing amount of gloomy reality. Several months after the $100, the local dealer contacted her for build details. After well over an hour on the phone, wading through all the options and how each one affects the next, she finally got her build sorted. Here's where the rub showed its ugly face. They wouldn't submit her build sheet without a $5000 deposit. Fortunately, she left them hanging on it to 1st get my opinion. A week or so later, I read of the 1st of what's now a handful of delays. $5100 out of pocket, and more than likely not see it for a couple of years? Feel free to blow my dog, Ford!
$5100, I don't blame you for that. I moved my reservation out of my state.

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I was considering a raptor at one point before Bronco or 392, what makes the 10spd so bad?
I've had the 10 speed in a 2018 f150 and now in a 2021 explorer. No issues. Love it.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Found this video very interesting. It compares a 2-door Bronco Badlands Sasquatch to a 2021 4Runner TRD Off-Road

Key findings:
  1. A well-equipped 4Runner TRD Off-Road costs $11,000 less than a Bronco 2-door Badlands with the Sasquatch package
  2. Even though Bronco (35) has larger tires than 4Runner (33), it actually has less ground clearance
  3. 4Runner has as much articulation as the Bronco without the gimmicky swaybar “dislocate”
  4. Toyota’s rear camera is just awful
  5. Toyota’s Crawl Control electronic aids are clearly superior to Bronco’s. I found this test particularly insightful. Basically, a Bronco without a rear locker, that relies solely on the electronics, will be getting stuck frequently. Toyota’s Crawl Control is noisy, though
  6. Toyota couldn’t pull the Bronco up that hill...
  7. Per the reviewer: 4Runner drives better on-road
I was surprised the reviewer thought the Bronco did better overall. His verdict seems disconnected from I saw on the video.

I thought the 4Runner did extremely well, especially for a much older, significantly cheaper vehicle.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
$5100, I don't blame you for that. I moved my reservation out of my state.
A dealer had to be chosen to complete the reservation. She chose a local one for the sake of getting it done. She said that she could swap dealers at any time, so that's when I 1st found the 6g forum and located 2 dealers that were promising good deals. One was for $2k below msrp and the other was right at invoice. This was before pricing was released. Both dealers were upwards of a 20 hour drive west.

Not long after pricing was released, design details followed. The more I saw, the more my own reservations grew about going long term with it. My wife commutes too far to lease, so it wouldn't be as easy to walk away from it. Far too much form over function on major design cues.

Plus, my ears are quick to stand up when I keep hearing excuses being made for the bronco, like someone asking if I'm really gonna spend much time offroad, or how so few people will actually use it for more than commuting. That's nothing more than back peddling by those who'd rather not admit that the bronco doesn't have what it takes to live up to the hype. After all, this is the offroad vehicle segment. Systems and their components need to be over built in order to stand up to greater stresses than those found on the drive to work.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
That dealer or Ford is full of it. A $5K deposit to submit her build? What is the dealer afraid of? Ordering a Bronco that is supposedly very high demand and no one else would take it off their hands if your wife did not? The dealer doesn't sound too confident. :CWL:

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
Found this video very interesting. It compares a 2-door Bronco Badlands Sasquatch to a 2021 4Runner TRD Off-Road

Key findings:
  1. A well-equipped 4Runner TRD Off-Road costs $11,000 less than a Bronco 2-door Badlands with the Sasquatch package
  2. Even though Bronco (35) has larger tires than 4Runner (33), it actually has less ground clearance
  3. 4Runner has as much articulation as the Bronco without the gimmicky swaybar “dislocate”
  4. Toyota’s rear camera is just awful
  5. Toyota’s Crawl Control electronic aids are clearly superior to Bronco’s. I found this test particularly insightful. Basically, a Bronco without a rear locker, that relies solely on the electronics, will be getting stuck frequently. Toyota’s Crawl Control is noisy, though
  6. Toyota couldn’t pull the Bronco up that hill...
  7. Per the reviewer: 4Runner drives better on-road
I was surprised the reviewer thought the Bronco did better overall. His verdict seems disconnected from I saw on the video.

I thought the 4Runner did extremely well, especially for a much older, significantly cheaper vehicle.
Someone posted this video in another thread. I thought he said the Bronco had more ground clearance with 11.6" compared to the 4Runner's 9. 2" or something. As much as read about the Bronco over the past year, that 11.6" sounds correct, and it's only achieved with the Sasquatch package.

Everything else was spot on from what I remember. It was a interesting comparison and I liked it. It made me wonder what my sport would do in that situation with only a LSD and Jeeps brake- locking system (if I'm saying that correctly).

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Someone posted this video in another thread. I thought he said the Bronco had more ground clearance with 11.6" compared to the 4Runner's 9. 2" or something. As much as read about the Bronco over the past year, that 11.6" sounds correct, and it's only achieved with the Sasquatch package.

Everything else was spot on from what I remember. It was a interesting comparison and I liked it. It made me wonder what my sport would do in that situation with only a LSD and Jeeps brake- locking system (if I'm saying that correctly).
BLD = Brake Lock Differential

https://blog.stellantisnorthamerica.com/2008/02/11/jeep-brake-traction-control-explained/

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That dealer or Ford is full of it. A $5K deposit to submit her build? What is the dealer afraid of? Ordering a Bronco that is supposedly very high demand and no one else would take it off their hands if your wife did not? The dealer doesn't sound too confident. :CWL:
Who knows what the thought process was? It's not like she wanted it painted pink with yellow polka-dots and perrywinkle blue seats.

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
  1. Toyota’s Crawl Control electronic aids are clearly superior to Bronco’s. I found this test particularly insightful. Basically, a Bronco without a rear locker, that relies solely on the electronics, will be getting stuck frequently. Toyota’s Crawl Control is noisy, though
I'm not sure I heard anywhere in the video or saw anything that equaled "Toyota Crawl Control electronic aids are clearly superior to Bronco's"....? This particular video has been my favorite comparison where its just 2 guys enjoying the vehicles for what they are without needlessly bashing either. I thought it mainly showed that they are both capable in their own right and again...you can not take the top/doors off the 4Runner while the Bronco seems to be just as good both on AND off road. I'd still have a 4Runner if a convertible option was available as it may be dated in most ways (engine/transmission/interior/styling) but is IMO the most proven reliable machine out of the three as a daily driver.
I say this as someone who went from a 4Runner Trail to a Rubicon and also have a Bronco reservation in place.
Sponsored