Is Bronco worth the wait?

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Ive seen the underside of a bronco, the control arms look delicate and flimsy. I think its just a status symbol to own one right now. People will lose interest during the wait once they start to see broncos pop up more often cuz they will have missed their chance to be "that guy."

If you own a jeep, theres no other reason to want a bronco. Life is about progression, not going backwards trying to downgrade your rig.
Sponsored

CMF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 2021 SAHARA (that my wife lets me drive on the weekends..sometimes.)
I would say no for the simple reason, their scam marketing where you have to put a "reservation" deposit, 2 years in advance, that is pure BS!

If Jeep pulled that, the folks on this forum would be up in arms.

Bronco will sell to Ford folks, those who want the iconic Jeep probably will buy a Wrangler.

I looked at one a few weeks back, dont care for the exterior styling, and the interior was 90s vintage playschool plastic crap, Ford needs to terminate their interior designers. The fit and finish was terrible and the soft top did not fit correctly, wrinkles on the side panels.

Per the 10 spd, GM used it one year in their trucks and it wqs so bad they went back to their own 8 spd autos. That should tell you all you need to know, and note Ford was the lead on the design of the 10spd.
I have the 10 speed in my F150, no issues. The fact that 10 speed is in and has been in the best selling truck in the US refutes your last point. Yeah, you could say I'm a homer because I own one, but if it was a dog, it'd be out of the lineup and not being used on mulitple vehicles.

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
I have a reservation (no order yet) with a dealer who's selling for below invoice. I've waited many years for a Bronco, so i can wait a couple more. Plus, by the time mine is producted (probably late 2022), they 'should' have all the issues worked out. However, If i find a money tree, I'd order a 2 dr Willys in a heartbeat.
I'm in almost the same situation as you, but bought a slightly used Wrangler back in December of 2020. I'm still on the fence, but leaning more towards staying with my Wrangler and canceling.

It just depends on how things go, or find a money tree like you mentioned; that would make me purchase a Bronco. I will have had my Wrangler for a few years (about three) before I got the Bronco I wanted anyway

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
I feel the ZF 8-speed is probably the best torque converter automatic transmission made. It transformed how the Wrangler drives. The ZF is probably the most drastic driving improvement between a 3.6 JK and 3.6JL. It is perfectly matched to the 2.0T JL also. BMW stopped using DCTs in some M-Cars. They use a version of the ZF 8-speed in it's new M-Cars. It is that good.
I had a 2016 BMW M235 a few vehicles ago and it had the same ZF 8 speed. Loved it there and now love it in my JL Rubicon.

If you own a jeep, theres no other reason to want a bronco. Life is about progression, not going backwards trying to downgrade your rig.
Not so sure about this. Some people still complain about the way how the Wrangler drives/handles and the new Bronco could make them happier. A downgrade would be for a rock crawler but a mall crawler (like most of the people out there) would be happier with a Bronco and it's IFS.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Per the "reservation", I would never buy any vehichle from a company pulling that farce, dont care if it is refundable, just a marketing scam to bloviate that they have all this pent up demand, so the dealers can screw you in a negotiation. Tesla started that non-sense to take people out of the market.

Per the transmissions, GM dropped them so that to me says it all when GM drops them, they havent had all the bugs worked out of them.

The ZF units have been proven for the last 8 yrs and are considered one of the most reliable.

Sponsored

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
No
Hard to say if it's worth the wait when no one, including Ford, has any idea when they will deliver to customers. Six months...a year....2 years? And even if you could get one tomorrow, would you want it? Nah, I'll pass. Love the looks of the 2-door, but momma didn't raise no fool.
Also considering that there have been leaks of a warthog version for MY22 or MY23 I would be pissed to have finally gotten a bronco in one of the MY only for that to be released.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in almost the same situation as you, but bought a slightly used Wrangler back in December of 2020. I'm still on the fence, but leaning more towards staying with my Wrangler and canceling.

It just depends on how things go, or find a money tree like you mentioned; that would make me purchase a Bronco. I will have had my Wrangler for a few years (about three) before I got the Bronco I wanted anyway
I had an order for a bronco and after seeing all the chaos (before production) I cancelled, especially if they release a Warthog (Raptor Version) alot of people will be pissed.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Give it a few years. Ford engineers did a good job on the Bronco. It is a nice vehicle. The rest of company has been terrible, including marketing which have been comparing it so much to the wrangler that now Bronco frustrated owners are buying wranglers lol. The JL is better than the Bronco, and it is available to buy. Ford advertised the Jeep.

Ford: "Jeeps are so cool, they've been so cool for so many years and people love them, but now they SUCK, because we have this Jeep like thing that is not a Jeep, LOOK YOU NEED A BRONCO." So fking pushy.

Sure it is a direct competition to Jeep, but when you need to constantly justify why the Bronco is better than a Jeep, then something's gotta be off.

In a few years Ford will heal from the mess and the vehicle will be more mundane. This is not the time to buy a Bronco.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
I feel the ZF 8-speed is probably the best torque converter automatic transmission made. It transformed how the Wrangler drives. The ZF is probably the most drastic driving improvement between a 3.6 JK and 3.6JL. It is perfectly matched to the 2.0T JL also. BMW stopped using DCTs in some M-Cars. They use a version of the ZF 8-speed in it's new M-Cars. It is that good.
Agreed, MERC did too....I believe BMW is phasing out DCTs for ZFs in almost all next Generation M-cars.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Yes. This transmission is absolutely insane. I have never, ever, thought a transmission this good could be in an average under 80k vehicle. It is a joy to drive on road and offroad, it handles different tire sizes without regearing, and I can't wait to tow with it.

Sponsored

RLC2020

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
This is actually why I ended up with a Wranlger. I kept comparing stats and capabilities to the Wrangler and thought 'Why get something that measures up when I can just get the ruler?'
Same here. We went to go test drive the demo Bronco that my local dealer had and were planning to put a reservation in. When we got there the demo was being driven by the manager of the dealership (who took it to lunch apparently) even though I had an appointment to drive it. This coupled with their attitude when I started asking about pricing and how long an order would take made us decide to write the Bronco off our list. I had a Wrangler JLU in the driveway the same week. We love the Wrangler so far. No reason to consider the Ford at this point.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
One thing that struck me watching that video is that Bronco has done to Wrangler something no other automaker was able to do before: show its age.

One of the uniqueness of Wrangler over the years is that it always did its own thing, unconcerned by the prevailing fads and trends at any given time.

That Bronco now makes Wrangler’s electronics seem dated would have been considered a compliment years ago. The fact that it might be a point of differentiation for a number of shoppers today, speaks to how mainstream Wrangler has become.
I got my wife a 2018 convertible Mustang and I admit I haven't seen a new Bronco or messed with its electronics, and actually have no intention, but it the system is anything like the Mustang there is no way I would buy the vehicle. My JLURs 8.4" system is fantastic for easily navigating between screens and I really like that the dock remains constant. The Mustang screens are a nightmare in comparison and is just not as intuitive as the Jeeps interface.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Given what has been revealed in the last years, there is a chance of establishing contact with an alien civilization before the Bronco becomes widely available.
If you just go talk to anyone in Congress you can make contact.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Same here. We went to go test drive the demo Bronco that my local dealer had and were planning to put a reservation in. When we got there the demo was being driven by the manager of the dealership (who took it to lunch apparently) even though I had an appointment to drive it. This coupled with their attitude when I started asking about pricing and how long an order would take made us decide to write the Bronco off our list. I had a Wrangler JLU in the driveway the same week. We love the Wrangler so far. No reason to consider the Ford at this point.
Some Ford dealers attitudes can be a huge turn off for sure. The Bronco's initial limited availibility has given some dealers BIG heads. Some of them make it sound or look like they are doing you a favor by selling you a Bronco. That attitude does not fly with me. Same with dealers who charge ADMs. It only crosses that dealer off my list forever. On principle I will never ever buy from that dealer in the future. Dealers don't need to suck up but they do need to earn my business.
Sponsored