Sponsored

Is Anyone having Starting/ Battery Issues???

Stevea709

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Recon
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 JL Rubicon Recon with the 2.0 Turbo. At 1200 miles, The battery was dead, or so I thought. I could easily jump start it but it would need a jump every time. I called the dealership and they couldn't get it in for weeks. I decided to just upgrade and bought an Optima Yellow top and be done with it. I had to jump start that too. I charged the new battery overnight which seemed to fix the issue for a couple weeks, But Now would need to jump start it again. Once it started up, the Voltage read 14.5 volts and everything worked fine. Thought it is now the starter and my JL is now at the dealership. The service writer called and said The starter & Alternator are fine and wanted me to pick it up. I asked if it was starting fine? He said NO, they have to jump it still. I asked him why would I pick it up when its Not Fixed. I told them to find the problem, Fix it and then I would love to pick it up. Just curious if anyone else is having this issue.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 JL Rubicon Recon with the 2.0 Turbo. At 1200 miles, The battery was dead, or so I thought. I could easily jump start it but it would need a jump every time. I called the dealership and they couldn't get it in for weeks. I decided to just upgrade and bought an Optima Yellow top and be done with it. I had to jump start that too. I charged the new battery overnight which seemed to fix the issue for a couple weeks, But Now would need to jump start it again. Once it started up, the Voltage read 14.5 volts and everything worked fine. Thought it is now the starter and my JL is now at the dealership. The service writer called and said The starter & Alternator are fine and wanted me to pick it up. I asked if it was starting fine? He said NO, they have to jump it still. I asked him why would I pick it up when its Not Fixed. I told them to find the problem, Fix it and then I would love to pick it up. Just curious if anyone else is having this issue.
Check your secondary battery. It sits under the fuse box that is next to the main battery. If that small lawn mower size battery (used for the ESS system) is dead or faulty you will have problems. Search the forum for how to jumper that battery or remove it.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Check your secondary battery. It sits under the fuse box that is next to the main battery. If that small lawn mower size battery (used for the ESS system) is dead or faulty you will have problems. Search the forum for how to jumper that battery or remove it.
The 2020 Recon's with the 2.0T should be equipped with eTorque. These won't have the auxilliary battery under the main as the 48volt battery pack is present.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
The 2020 Recon's with the 2.0T should be equipped with eTorque. These won't have the auxilliary battery under the main as the 48volt battery pack is present.
Learn something new everyday :)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Which of the two issues? The battery not recharging, or dealing with a stupid dealer...? :LOL:

I ain’t got the first, but I got the second issue...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stevea709

Stevea709

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Recon
Vehicle Showcase
I Have Both Issues. I realize some Electrical problems are hard to diagnose but when the dealer thinks it's perfectly acceptable to have the customer jump start everytime is something else. But then again, This is 2020 and we are now living in the Twilight Zone here in Oregon.

OP
OP
Stevea709

Stevea709

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Recon
Vehicle Showcase
1 Week Update, My JL is still at the dealer, Now they say my Optima Battery is bad ( which I Highly Doubt) but told them to put a fresh battery in but I want my Battery back. Then after a week, He says we still can't find the problem, We have 3 techs working on it and we might have to disconnect my aftermarket parts to see if that does anything. (That would be a Warn Winch and a couple KC Lights). I told him he should've done that the first day in order to start eliminating potential problems. It's like they aren't even trying to fix this electrical problem other than standing around and looking at it waiting for it to fix itself.

HEX87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully a jeep soon
1 Week Update, My JL is still at the dealer, Now they say my Optima Battery is bad ( which I Highly Doubt) but told them to put a fresh battery in but I want my Battery back. Then after a week, He says we still can't find the problem, We have 3 techs working on it and we might have to disconnect my aftermarket parts to see if that does anything. (That would be a Warn Winch and a couple KC Lights). I told him he should've done that the first day in order to start eliminating potential problems. It's like they aren't even trying to fix this electrical problem other than standing around and looking at it waiting for it to fix itself.
Did you get any extended warranty?

OP
OP
Stevea709

Stevea709

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Recon
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I have
Did you get any extended warranty?
[/QUOTE
I have a 6 yr extended warranty but my JL only has about 2000 miles on it and I just bought it about 3 months ago. It's well within original bumper to bumper warranty.

OP
OP
Stevea709

Stevea709

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Recon
Vehicle Showcase
Well the Dealership has had it for 15 days so far and still no word on what is wrong other than I filed a case with corporate. After JEEP got involved, The service manager finally called and said they had 3 techs looking at it but none can find the problem. Now they put a fourth guy working on it. The only positive thing about this, Corporate has done a good job of calling me everyday or so to update me of the status. I really want My jeep fixed but at what point do they give up and just replace it.

Sponsored

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2019 Rubicon with the 2.0L and 12k miles. I was running errands yesterday afternoon and parked in a shopping center. I shut off the engine then decided to move. When I went to start it, nothing. I called roadside assistance for a jump. When they did their thing they told me the battery has a problem. I went directly to the Jeep dealer. The service advisor plugged in an analyzer that indicated a battery problem. He said it would take 2.5 hours for each (of the two) battery to diagnose and replace so I had to leave it. Day 2, still waiting to hear resolution. Glad this didn't happen on a trail in the middle of the desert.

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
I think everyone is having, or will have, battery issues. Both of my batteries needed to be replaced, less than a year old. Warranty covered it, but the whole ESS sucks. IMO.

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I've ordered one of these from Costco. I can't take a chance of this happening in the desert wilderness.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is Anyone having Starting/ Battery Issues??? 1607199678916

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Just had my main battery replaced. 2018 JLUR with about 25k on the clock. ESS hadn't been working since summer and the message center in the dash said "battery protection mode". I noticed that the volts always read high (due to constantly charging) when driving. It always started fine right until it got cold. Then the morning before taking it in (already had it scheduled) it almost didn't start. Good as new now.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I think everyone is having, or will have, battery issues. Both of my batteries needed to be replaced, less than a year old. Warranty covered it, but the whole ESS sucks. IMO.
I hate the double battery thing, the ESS would not be such a hassle if not for the double batt.
Sponsored